Camping for longer than a weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

I'm going to be going camping for a week at the end of the month, this will be the longest i have been out bushcrafting so far and it got me thinking.

What sort of things do you need to take into account for longer outings, now this week at the end of September shouldn't prove difficult as i have running water and will be a basic base camp setup. But what about longer periods of time, what kind of things need to be take into account when thinking in terms of say 2-3 weeks in the bush.

I would be interested in what people think would be essentials, luxuries etc. I don't want to have to hire a minibus to bring all the kit so lets say we have a longback bergen with sidepouches. What would you take and why?

you can either provide a full loadout and explain why you would use each item, or you can just suggest single items of kit for the group to discuss.

The site has running water and toilet facilities but that's it.

And please keep it civil, no flaming people for not taking the perfect bit of kit this is for fun (and also for me to put together my xmas list, for extended camps)

So what you got?

Dave

(mods if in the wrong section please move)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I'll get shot down for this, I'd take (or make) a chair. Yes you can sit on the floor, but I like a chair as a creature comfort. Someone posted on here a video of a hammock chair. All you need is the hammock part and three good poles/branches. Keep meaning to try it out, almost finished the hammock part. If I can find the video I'll pop a link in.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If an extended trip in one place with the facilities you mention then why not take the kitchen sink n all, why the restriction to one pack seeing as you don't have to carry it anywhere!?
I would have the double bed packed chandelier at the most basic.
IMAG0608.jpg

If you are covering a lot of miles then weight will be restrictive so the little space left after food and water would be reserved for hygiene. :(
If there was any space left then a charger unit of some description for my gadgets for music and reading.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I'll get shot down for this, I'd take (or make) a chair. Yes you can sit on the floor, but I like a chair as a creature comfort. Someone posted on here a video of a hammock chair. All you need is the hammock part and three good poles/branches. Keep meaning to try it out, almost finished the hammock part. If I can find the video I'll pop a link in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH6yqDFGRqI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
for a week i wouldn't be taking much more than i'd take for a couple of days, but i would be more inclined to consider;
more shelter e.g. extra tarp
more cooking gear e.g. frying pan, kettle, washing up bowl, chopping board, big water container
more toys e.g. spoon knife, axe, binoculars, camera
a decent chair
and probably a couple of books for when it rains.

but they're all things to either make life a bit more comfortable or give you something to do, none of them are essential. extra consumables though are more or less a necessity, batteries and brew kit are the ones that spring to mind for me.

cheers

stuart

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
As dwardo said IF you don't have to actually carry it anywhere then why not have a luxurious set up?

I like to move a lot [although it has been a while since I've been allowed to go anywhere for an extended time] so for me I'd keep it to below 20 kg which is easy enough, take as much food and water as you can - no point in running out of that.

Are you going by yourself or with family/ friends? will you need to pack stuff to look after other people?

A phone - and if the battery is carp a charger - I'm sure they'll be a pub somewhere you can go for a meal & cheekily charge it up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My kit would stay the same, the only changes would be extra food.

I change my actual kit depending on where I'm going, temperatures and what I'm likely to get up to

Noddy

Nomad
Jul 12, 2006
Away
The steelbanded Coleman cooler boxes keep things cooler for longer - five days if you are careful.

Have I got this right? You are driving in?

EDIT - oops just saw the bit about the bergan

In which case I would:

a) take more tarps and increase the dry areas you have at your disposal

b) put my tent under a tarped area - most tents will wet-through eventually if left to their own devices in persistent heavy rain, and it will save walking-in mud to the tent itself

c) if there's a big picnic table/firepit available, or a big fallen log that will serve for a kitchen/fireplace etc ... stick a tarp over that too :lol:

Put up a washing line, take more bogroll

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
As dwardo said IF you don't have to actually carry it anywhere then why not have a luxurious set up?

The weight issue is because i would be getting a lift there and back and the Mrs only has a small car :-(, in actuality i will probably be taking the bergen and a largish fishing box that acts as my camp kitchen for the week but was wondering i would need anything else to extend my stay to 2 or 3 weeks

plus bored at work so thought a discussion might be a good way to kill the boredom lol

Dave

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Ah fair enough, longer than a week? anything you take which will see you through one week plus more food:) there will probably need to be a shop near by to get some fresh food.

When I used to get out 'n' about I'd have around 4-5 days worth of food then have to re-supply, more than 4-5 days of food was starting to get heavy and I was in civilized places so shops weren't a problem.

Personally I'd not bother with anything electronic as the battries will die and they just be something else to lose/ worry about charging etc. I would take a phone - possible turn it on only at set times in the day to save batteries - so people can contact you if they wish.

A map of the area so you can go for wanders.

As others have said: a few tarps, I never had enough covered space and being wet for long periods is not fun:(

Yep I'm a bit bored at work too. But it's nearly home time..... Yay...... time to get jumped on by the kids:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Definitely something to wash in if there are no showers. Even if its just a large bucket.
To be honest I would ditch the Bergen and take large stuff sacks/holdalls with your kit in and most importantly Fill that car!
There is absolutely no need to go without anything if taking the car and why should you ;) For that amount of time in one place I would want a tent with living space that isn't weather dependant so you can play all day, whittle, read and chill.
Its one thing if you are walking to a different place every day as that is taking up most of your spare time. If your only on one site you will soon get bored stiff stuck in a tiny tent when the weather comes in.
I would be taking my speakers, tunes, books, wood carving stuff, leather carving stuff, bow making stuff and internet access!

Where you going by the way? Ye lucky man?

EDIT Looking outside now bud I would want a house made of bricks! Never mind a tent.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd agree with taking a chair and also a shower.

A bag of charcoal would also go in the car to make cooking easier.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
EDIT Looking outside now bud I would want a house made of bricks! Never mind a tent.

That just made me spray tea all over the place lol

I'm going to Giant Seat at the end of the month, but only for a week. the thinking is that i might go for an extended stay somtime early next year so was thinking of my xmas list lol

I will be adding another tarp or possibly parachute shelter to my list i think, now what else i wonder?

Dave

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i would set yourself a project ie make something be it a bow or some carving then the gear doesnt need to change alot just a few extra tools but at least you can keep busy if the rain kicks in... few extra pairs of gear to change into particularly socks and a way to bathe yourself as you will feel grubby either a solar shower (never used one) or like me a collapsable water bowl and an efficient means to lots of hot water such as a ghillie kettle...

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
I'd definitely take the chair and extra rain proof/cold weather gear as a week at the end of september in the uk could have all sorts of weather conditions. Sometimes you can't dry the gear out at all and its not nice constantly putting on wet clothes.
In fact if I was taking the car so didn't have to worry about carrying it all in one go on my back I'd be tempted to bring every bit of old camping gear I had to get a chance to use it. And lots of food that I'd never backpack with like fresh fruit and veg for stews etc, do some proper meals.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
There have been several comments already that I would strongly support. After completing a few multi-week trips, the Mrs. and I have created a list of comforts that we prefer to bring on all trips.

Chair: perhaps it is increasing age, but the ability to sit comfortably up off the ground can make one a great deal more comfortable. When we were on a canoe trip for an entire summer we thought we would save a little weight and do without.....it was one of our few regrets for the entire experience.

Large Tarp: Our canoe tripping tarp is 4m x 5m and can provide shelter for our tent and cooking area in a prolonged rain, or provide sun protection around camp during hot weather.

Dr. Bronners Soap: Preferably mint flavour. They claim many uses, including toothpaste, but the fresh clean feeling that is created by a quick bathe with Dr. Bronners and cold water is one of our favourite experiences. On the other hand, my mother, insists that the soap is quite suspicious as it makes you tingle in places that probably should not tingle.

Light: As the fall season advances upon us, a source of light, whether candles or a kerosene lantern can warm up an evening in more ways than one.

Bug Protection: Our summer adventures tend to attract all manner of biting bugs, that is the price of enjoying Northern Canada you might say. We consider a Bug Jacket (minimum headnet) a necessity and for anything longer than a weekend we often substitute the large tarp for a tarp shelter that includes bugnetting and an open floor. Food prep, afternoon relaxations are only possible when the bugs aren't biting.

Just a few thoughts.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
As said I do t think gear woul change that dramatically.

A chair is a definite must IMO. If its colder you could couple this with a reindeer skin to keep your bum toasty warm! ;)

Id be bringing out a bigger axe. My hultafors personally, but definitely something bigger to make a firewood and kindling splitting session easier.

A wash bucket is definitely a good idea, not only for kitchen duties but also personal hygiene.

A couple of good books, decent head lamp, spare batteries. You know the drill.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE