Straight razor shaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Hi all,

recently I`ve gotten the idea in my head that I would like to have a go with a straight razor. I figured that the beardy bunch of people here would have some opinions, experience or stories about it. Is it really as satisfying as some say? Or is it just another excuse for me to play with sharps? Please spill!

Two Socks

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
its the only way to shave i have been using a straight razor for about 6 months now and havnt looked back if you want to have a crack just buy one of these cheap shavettes to have a crack they are very good and cheap you can get the hang of it then progress to a proper straight razor , i will say buy a straight razor from someone like shave nation or similar because ones off fleabay that say they are shave ready are not and you wont get a good shave and it will put you off , i have an old kropps that i use although it needs a good polish still works well but i also use a dovo shavette which is suprisingly nice im on the lookout for a nice wedge , go onto shave nation and watch the videos to lean how to shave you wont regret it you will be hooked atb,wayne. ps heres a link to a really cheap shavette
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-STR...rber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2eb2e86108
http://shavenation.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_80&products_id=178

Last edited:

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I have been straight razor shaving now for five years and the tuition for it came via the Rolls Razor, once I got the hang of that thing, I removed the safety bar and used it as a straight with a handle, then I got a second hand German Solingen Gong straight razor off ebay, sharpened it and went for it and never looked back. My shave kit now comprises of an old leather belt for stropping, some jewellers rouge for applying to the belt for extra stropping capabilities, a stick soap that currently lasts six months short of two years and a bog standard bristle brush.

I do it cheap, the cheapest I can get it, but one can if they want do it expensive and go for a current DOVO razor, a badger hair brush, a proper multi strop with all the pastes, a shaving mug and all the fancy soaps and preparations, but the shave is the same cheap or expensive, and it is an art not to be rushed, else nicks will happen, so one needs an alum block for staunching the blood, either that or a bit of bog roll.

My razor including postage was less than a fiver and so far it as done me for five years, now think of the cost of five years worth of the Gilette disposable heads, what a waste of money!

Another way of discovering how these razors were used, is notice shaving when it happens on old Black and white movies, for in front of the camera it was done as normal, because every adult male knew how to shave with a straight, it was second nature.

But now and again I use the Rolls just for the fun of it as I have a few notable examples left after I have given away most of my Rolls collection as useful Xmas presents, and those I gave them to use them and some have progressed onto the straight like me.

Oh and for the fungus faced, I have sported the fungus before and during my vintage shaving exploits, it is sometimes I wear a beard and sometime not, but trimming of the beard, because I kept it well trimmed and neat, I used a Durham Duplex razor, which is a bit like a straight razor but with some safety.

Last edited:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
You can pick up straight razors that use disposable blades (a DE blade snapped in half) very cheaply on E-bay and they're good to give it a go.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Shaving generally leaves me looking like that half finished papier mache piggy bank that I failed to make when I was 7 years old, with bog paper hanging off every cut and nick :( I can just imagine the scene if I used a straight razor!!!!!!

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Sod it just get a usable straight of ebay, sharpen it and have a go, but watch the angle of attack and follow through, don't slide sideways.

It is why using the Rolls helps tuition get the angle wrong and the safety bar clicks across and stops you shaving and carving a chunk out of your face.

But some weeks I can't be bothered shaving and a bit of a beard grows, but when I come to my senses, the straight just creams the lot off in one go, no need for the mowing down that is common prior to shaving with the multi blade, just one very sharp blade does it in one go.

And another thing, the chances are if you are going to nick yourself it will be on the opposite side of the face to which side you have your dominant hand.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks for the replies!

What I cannot seem to find; what edge does one put on a razor? Straigt secondary bevel? Chisel-grind? I think I could sharpen one if I would know what to aim for. *goes browsing for razors*

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
That picture might make me reconsider altogether... :rolleyes:

:D

Further to which... I must add that Robbi has a lot to answer for too!!!! I am nursing a slashed thumb because he recommended the 'Spyderco sharpmaker'! couple that with the above image and the fact that I have no hair left in my left arm (owing to overly sharp knife testing) I say that bushcraft stuff is bad for your health.

:lmao:

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Thanks for the replies!

What I cannot seem to find; what edge does one put on a razor? Straigt secondary bevel? Chisel-grind? I think I could sharpen one if I would know what to aim for. *goes browsing for razors*

A lot are hollow grind.

I'm going for a shavette and then going to lay out the big money on a straight. I figure as a straight should 'last a lifetime' then it's worth buying right and buying once though. The barber that I've tapped up to tutor me has tried 'cheap' straights and says they are worse than a poor shavette and that's not due to any lack of skill on his part.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE