Alice pack query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
If you remove the frame from an Alice pack,should there be somewhere for the shoulder straps to clip onto?
I'm presuming that originally they clipped onto the frame?

Regards,
Andy

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
If I remember correctly, and it has been a while, there are some small metal loops attached at the top of the main pack. Don't think they are designed to take the full weight if the pack though - more to secure the straps after looping round the frame.

Your main problem would be fitting the kidney pads without a frame.

Hope this helps

Can I ask why you're removing the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
I'm not removing it!
It's one I bought years ago and I've only just found it again,no frame and straps fastened to lid through 2 small holes!

Think it's either get a frame,or chuck it!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do you have the medium ALICE or the large? The medium is designed to be used with or without the frame. The large on the other hand cannot be used without a frame.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They're relatively plentiful and cheap over here. Loads of 'em on e-bay. I suspect postage would be a killer though.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
We used to use a piece of broom handle cut to the correct length that goes under the padding at the top and where the gap is attach the straps to the broom handle this also gives the bag some support

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Just back from an overnighter of about 16 miles and a total of 3000 ft of elevation gain. One of the party had a large A.L.I.C.E. with proper frame and belts. I asked him how it was at the end and he referred to it a " a fornicating useless piece of excrement" (or words to that effect). His shoulders were raw, hips and lower back sore. (He had loaned his "good" kit to beginners in the group). Wanted to stop at a bridge on the way back and throw it in the river. This BTW was a person with over thirty years of experience of hiking the White mountains in New hampshire, so he knew what worked. He now knows what doesn't. Be advised, don't waste your money trying to locate a frame for this "F.U.P.O.S"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just back from an overnighter of about 16 miles and a total of 3000 ft of elevation gain. One of the party had a large A.L.I.C.E. with proper frame and belts. I asked him how it was at the end and he referred to it a " a fornicating useless piece of excrement" (or words to that effect). His shoulders were raw, hips and lower back sore. (He had loaned his "good" kit to beginners in the group). Wanted to stop at a bridge on the way back and throw it in the river. This BTW was a person with over thirty years of experience of hiking the White mountains in New hampshire, so he knew what worked. He now knows what doesn't. Be advised, don't waste your money trying to locate a frame for this "F.U.P.O.S"

I've been humping one for almost 30 years. I love it. Never been to New Hampshire. Do the Rockies count? Maybe the Sierras? How about Saudi? The Smokies? Florida swamps? He must have been a wuss.

Last edited:

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Down east sell a plastic frame for the alice pack from memory it's about $25 although the thing that's stopped me getting one is the fact that the postage is also$25!
With that and the Molle straps and waist belt it's a much better pack than the standard.
Colin

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Down east sell a plastic frame for the alice pack from memory it's about $25 although the thing that's stopped me getting one is the fact that the postage is also$25!
With that and the Molle straps and waist belt it's a much better pack than the standard.
Colin

To be honest, if he already has the pack, a $50 (about 32 pounds) total investment doesn't really sound overly expensive. Especially if that includes the MOLLE straps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE