Les Hiddens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've just spent several hours watching Les Hiddens, "Bushtucker Man", seen them all before but for the younger or newer members here who've not seen them, they are well worth a look.

[video=youtube;_7RBJia7Q-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7RBJia7Q-w[/video]

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Watched them a few times before, they are great viewing.
I have a couple of his books, picked them up when I lived in Oz.

He's done a lot of work for vets in Australia as well, got them there own wilderness retreats away from the public so they can do what they need to do.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Until now i had never seen any of his stuff. Tiny bit before my time ;)
Great shows all of them, just a shame the quiality isnt a little better as the scenery is stunning.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks for the reminder, I love Les hiddins work, it's to the point and interesting. I thought it was early eighties stuff but the first series was 1988. Brings back some nice memories. I will look forward to watching the rest of the series.

Here's the series list in order,

[h=2]TV programmes[/h]Series:
  • Bush Tucker Man, Series One (1988 - 8 episodes, released on DVD in 2004) - ABC
Episode 1: Arnhem Land (Aborigines of Ngukurr, NT)
Episode 2: The Wet in Port Keats (Northwest Northern Territory in the Wet Season)
Episode 3: Desert (Desert Country)
Episode 4: Prince Regent Gorge (Heart of the Kimberley)
Episode 5: Rain Forest (Rainforest at Iron Range)
Episode 6: Coastal (Northern Queensland Coastline)
Episode 7: Doomadgee (Gulf Country)
Episode 8: Aurukun (West Coast of Cape York)

• Bush Tucker Man, Series Two (1990 - 7 episodes, released on DVD 1 October 2009) - ABC
Episode 1: Wet Season
Episode 2: East To West
Episode 3: Kimberley
Episode 4: Top End
Episode 5: Wildman
Episode 6: Coastal Story
Episode 7: Desert Story

• Bush Tucker Man - Stories of Survival (1996 - 8 episodes, released on DVD in 2004) - ABC
Episode 1: The Coffee Royal Affair
Episode 2: The Cannibal Convict
Episode 3: The Great Misadventure
Episode 4: The Best of Them All
Episode 5: The Dutch Settlement
Episode 6: Gold Fever
Episode 7: The Passionate Prussian
Episode 8: Into The Vilest Country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hiddins

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Used to watch these with my Grandad when i was a lot younger, watching it always prompted a walk down "Jonny Browns Common" where he would teach me bits of plant I.D in his own language,..

I cant remember much of the info he delivered, but one sticks in my mind,

he always pointed out "Sour Gobs" , which i only learnt years later was Wood Sorrel,

i hope when i have Grandchildren and pass my bits of knowledge on, that they'll look back on it as fondly as i do now,...

EDIT, ooh just remembered we used to have "Reindeer Soup" too when we got back,.....

hahaha ok not a foraged meal, but a tin of Baxters Game Soup,....do they still make that??? not seen any for ages,...

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I used to watch "The Bush Tucker Man" years ago when I lived in NZ. Saw him again when I came back. Then there was RM, he to was very good, but Les Hiddens had so much more personality and did'nt seem so commercial imho.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Worth watching just to see the Perentie Land Rover and his trailer. Lusted over that motor many a time.

A solid beast and the Isuzu engine made it even better according to what I read about it. For the first time I noticed what appears to be a fridge or freezer behind him which makes total sense for that sort of trip, beats living on canned and dried food for sure.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
You know - it was Les Hiddens that got me interested in the whole bushcraft thing when I was not much more than a kid. His stuff was completely different to anything else you had seen at the time - pre Mr. Mears or Grylls or anyone else.

I used to be engrossed and had a collection on VHS before I left home and lost them all somewhere.

A true legend - I loved it when Ray Mears did the episode where he spent time with Les, it was cool seeing Ray practically hero worshipping Les.

Brilliant :)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Ray looked so nervous when he wanted to show Les that tinder fungus - I think he was worried he would offend him by showing him something new.

Of course the Bushtucker Man seemed delighted and very graciously accepted instruction from the much younger man without any indication of wounded pride at all. Legend :)

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Does anyone know where you can watch Ray Mears Goes Walkabout online? It's the show where Ray meets Les! Can't remember if i ever managed to watch it now but would be very interested to find it.

Thanks for posting that video rik_uk3, what a great watch! Going to have to watch all of Les shows ive not seen now.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE