Legal advice needed, regarding cats!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That seems a reasonable position. As far as I know its not legal for any other animal to roam onto other peoples land, I see no reason why it should be different for cats. They can be house trained, lead walked etc.

Time for the owners to be held to the same standard as all other pet owners surely?

It certainly is time for the law to change, but we know it won't. Atleast not for many years and alot of organised effort!

Me and my wife both agreed that if we ever got a cat we'd keep it indoors, house training them isn't hard and she wanted one of those expensive persians :rolleyes:

after seeing a pack of local dogs rip one cat to a bleeding gutted mess in it's own garden! I feel every animal should be safe in its own property and although the cats in my garden weren't always a problem (my wife enjoyed watching them play) they certianly are now!

I think the cd's scare my wifes rabbits to be honest.. haha I'm sure they'll lighten up.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I can't stand it when people let them do that. I don't mind cats, some are alright, but if there's two general things I can't stand it's their excrement and the pleasure they take in killing things.

Lol... says the hunter, two birds one stone.

Say what you will, but anything I've killed in the past has not been tortured or played with before it's death. It's been consumed too.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
My point exactly, time for cat owners to be responsible and know where their cats are and what they are doing. I don't blame the cats, it's the owners that are at fault.

Best advice so far.

If they are pets then i would bring it up with their owners as it's 100% their responsibility.

In my experience getting cat owners to cooperate and control their cats can range from mega helpful to bordering insane.
On the bordering insane i found that when i explained i had laid poison out for a rat problem on my property and that they should keep their car in in case they eat the poison then the cats were not a problem for a while.

With Feral cats it's easier.
We had a problem for months with feral cats, they were ripping up the rubbish, scratching up plants, peeing and scatting on property and damaging cars (scratching cabrio roofs).

I got several locals together and we went to the local animal shelter.
Their response was that feral cats were always feral so they would not take them in.
We then went to the police who said we should kill them.
I put notices up at work and asked around to see if anyone wanted a cat, but as the problems they were causing were inconvenient at worst i sort of gave them the benefit of doubt.

Then one day the kids came running in with one of the bigger cats having scratched our gal right down her face and our lad on his arm and leg.

Seems when they started cleaning the cars the cats were hiding underneath with her kittens, obviously the Mum tried to defend her kittens and attacked my kids.

We no longer have any cats the day after that event, i will put up with some inconvenience but when my loved ones are injured i will not accept or stand for that.

Personally i would snap pics of the offending cats and ask around locally.
If no one came forward i would trap the cats and relocate them to somewhere where they can roam free to their hearts content.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Or if it has been advised online
the thread is titled LEGAL ADVICE
please bear this in mind cruelty to animals is not legal and not nice either
thank you

This one. I for one agree with this comment and am not particularily keen on reading such referred to comment on encouraging or so it seems from several comments being posted, cruelty. I agree its not nice and a poor example in my opinion to set to others. Purely my opinion on the matter. Lot of respect for your postings up to now my friend but that comment from you caught my breath a bit.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I don't know... Sounds like there are just too many Cats in the UK that's not helped by the British attitude to cats and pets in general and the national trait of anthropomorphism. That's not a criticism just a realistic observation.

It seems that the cat or cats in question are just doing what domesticated cats do the world over: wander around at will , Hunt for sport, crap in your garden, catwall at night, vomit up furballs on your path etc...

Realistically you can either try to dissuade it from your garden with something that scares it off. Lion poo, flashing CD's, water sprays, a pit bull etc.

Sloting it I would suggest is not going to really solve any issues as if you dispose of one then another will be along at some point after and it's illegal in the uk...

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Legislation aside which is often flawed, killing for food well I could accept grudgingly on a personal basis, killing things we consider pests well there could be some who have justified their actions towards human kind for the same reasons and.... well it's not nice is it. All part of the One buddy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So you would let rats live in your house RT?

If your children caught lice you would insist they weren't killed?

A bacterial infection...bacteria are creatures too you know.

To suggest that you do not kill problem life forms is absurd and I believe untrue, so to criticise others for what you yourself do is disingenuous at best and hypocritical at worst.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...killing for food well I could accept grudgingly on a personal basis, killing things we consider pests well there could be some who have justified their actions towards human kind for the same reasons and.... well it's not nice is it..."

I like cats, I used to have several. If a feral cat started to dig up my crops or spray them, I'd kill it, I wouldn't enjoy it and it would be quick.

That cat is taking food from my table, it is wasting the energy that I and mine have put into such work. Is killing it to ensure that it stops really that different from killing an animal for food?

Cats have large litters, nature intends for most of them not to survive, there is a small colony of feral cats quite near where I live, only two kittens out of two litters have made this far into the year, it isn't nice to think about a kitten being eaten by dogs, foxes, buzzards, other cats or whatever, but that is the nature of things.

"...there could be some who have justified their actions towards human kind for the same reasons..."

114 posts and at last, Godwin's law! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE