Unfortunatrix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Saw this unfortunate grass snake lying in the lane at the weekend. I got my mate to stop his truck so I could take a pic so didn't have long.
Now, top left of the second pic is what I'm fairly sure is an egg. Having not seen one before I can only go by the description and it ticked all the boxes, including the texture.
So my question is, what was it doing there? Would it have been taken/moved by the snake holding it in its mouth?

110820121231.jpg

110820121232.jpg

110820121233.jpg

Pictures taken 'as found'

Joel_m

Jul 31, 2012
Berkshire
Perhaps it was in the snake awaiting laying when to poor creature got killed as there is a tear in the body. Seems late in the year for eggs though.. I'm sure someone on here will have a better idea.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't know too much about these creatures, but I did also think it would be late in the year for laying. I can't imagine it would've 'popped' out of the body and ended up in that position either. :dunno:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers Mr Harvestman for pointing this thread out to me.

Certainly way too late for egg laying in what we'd consider a 'normal' year. This takes place in April. But that being said, if there is a prolonged period of cool weather (as there certainly has been), plus the fact that the rain has reduced basking periods to virtually nil, then there is a high possibility of a delay in ovulation and ovipostition of eggs that allows a secondary clutch to be formed, and this has, in the past been recorded as late as September/October. I'd say that this may be the case here. Although if the photographer wasn't so tardy, he would have taken a pic of the tail so I could have made a positive ID on the sex :rolleyes: I reckon it is a good possibility that this was a delayed clutch though. Shame.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Cheers Jon.
Yes, the weather has been awful here in Dorset - lots and lots of rain with cool temperatures - so that is a factor to consider.
I blame my 'tard mate driving the 4x4 who was nudging me with his bumper whilst I was stooped over taking the pic!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE