another sloe gin question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I make mine in a plastic bucket with a lid!
It's ideal because the sloes swell a little when they're in the gin so getting them out of a narrow necked bottle isn't always as easy as getting them in!
The bucket allows me to syphone the gin off very easily.
Works for me...

I'm sure a plastic bottle will be fine.

Cheers

Mark

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I don't see plastic bottles being a problem, so long as it's food grade.

I use large Kilner jars because as Buckshot said, it's easier to get the sloes out afterwards.

Experimentation is the mother of all success!! :D

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
I'd certainly make sure it was food grade if plastic, I would imagine soaking for several weeks in 50% alcohol has the potential to leach all sorts of nasties from ordinary placcie. I always use glass, kilner jars or wine making demijons.

sparks

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2005
stuart f said:
Hi Big lizard, is this batch going to be ready for maybe the next Scottish meet in the spring!!! :D

How you finding Ray,s book you picked up at the meet.

hi stuart
i will try and keep the sloe gin aslong as pos but the temptation is always there

ray,s book is spot on

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Just found some 7-10 year old Elderberry wine in the cellar, its very nice indeed! patience is needed, the longer you keep the gin the better it gets, Christmas lunch apperatif is always the traditional first use for our previous years production.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
A lovely drink slow gin,ive only ever tried the comercialy produced versions,never the home made sadly.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
big lizard said:
you should try stuart f's sloe gin. he had a bottle at the scottish meet and it went down well
Hope to make one or two of these meets next year so you never know :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE