karrimor sabre 45.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think ill opt for this pack, but take my bank card on the trip with a hundred gbp on it so if the uncomfort is dehabilitating after a month then ill be able to buy another one during, probs be at wales by then. So wouldnt encounter much dfodgy landscape yet anyway, as In not much hills etc.

I look forward to the write up of your trip. It should make for interesting reading.

Yeah but the comments are ignorable, but comments can get tiring if your subjecting yourself to same people over and over again.
No I dont have so much surplus funds, I just dont drink, or smoke or do drugs anymore, and am single lol.
Ive alrewady been putting kit together for 6 months now, and Im only covered 100 percent on the water department. And getting there on other things. Some of you are able to try out others gear, or have shops locale that stock the items you want, but then again most peoples gear is probably made up of wrong buys or from local stockists, and perhaos made up of years of experience with different kit untill they custom their needs specifically.
Ill be lacking all of that

perhaps you could go to some local meets? most folk are friendly and we all love show and tell on kit.
perhaps extend the originally planned leaving date to later when you are fully equipped?
good on no drinking smoking drugging anymore.
As for comments they weren't just mates and it was an example of blending in more. i find best way of dealing with comments becoming tiring is to leave

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
perhaps you could go to some local meets? most folk are friendly and we all love show and tell on kit.
perhaps extend the originally planned leaving date to later when you are fully equipped?
good on no drinking smoking drugging anymore.
As for comments they weren't just mates and it was an example of blending in more. i find best way of dealing with comments becoming tiring is to leave

I dont think I can prolong the trek, need to be at scotland for late spring at the latest for better weather conditions .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The 45 is great, I've had one for years and it has been the most comfortable pack I've ever used for extended yomps with heavy loads. With and without side pockets. I've added a larger shoulder pack to teh fron for longer treks. Go for it.

As for the warbelt, you should contact Lucius Fox as he can customise and incorporate almost anything into the design which won't stand out when walking through dodgy neighbourhoods. I think he may be a member on here, or it may be another forum. His main client recently retired so he may be up to knocking something up for you.

24-25Feb201144.jpg

20-31Oct2010NorthwoodMeet2.jpg

DSC08442.jpg

Last edited:

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Yeah maybe a custom leatherbelt is what I require, will be better wearing, and wont be as tall.
I didnt know you could add another pack to the front.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I think the combination of 'War Belt' and a 'cut down' Sabre 45 is a perfect combination. I'm glad your not doing Drugs anymore.

The war belts a sleeve for a belt of any kind, maybe the sleeve will fit over the belt on the karrimor when cut down to permit molle attatchments on the karrimor.
Usually pouches would be fine behind, but with a 45 litre hanging over its mandatory for pouches on the front and sides for space and weight balance.
But if the integrity of the pack is ruined by cutting of the karrimor belt system, then maybe webbing can be stitched to the packs belt system to make it all. in 1. thatll save weight from belt suspenders, the belt suspenders I assumed would be good because then the warbelt doesnt restrict blood flow through my body from being done up too tight.

But the idea was so I can ditch my pack somnewhere safe, where I will camp the night, and be left with pouches of gear while I look around or fish, etc.

Im trying to fit the most reason as I can into every thing I take. Be more mathmatically sound that way.

Last edited:

Joel_m

Jul 31, 2012
Berkshire
Ok firstly I will say I am not in any way an accomplished bushcrafter especially since discovering this forum where there are people with a wealth of experience who are friendly and offer free advice, that said I have done some hiking in my time.
Apart from trips in and around the UK I spent 6 days hiking through the Jungle of Mexico (not as extreme as it sounds... it was a guided trip along established trails with camp points on route) still hard work but great adventure.
When I was much younger than I am now (jeese that sounds bad I am only 39) I did something not as extreme as you are planning but I grabbed my rucksack packed my camping gear and hiked/hitchhiked from Berkshire to Southern France and back with a mate so I do know a bit about getting up in the morning packing up and carrying everything with you on your back for days on end... I would say some of the best advice you have received here is don't just buy something on line because someone says its good.. If you look at most comments they say "I like it" or "I don't" not go buy it.
That is because everybody is different and all our body shapes differ. What one person finds comfy another finds annoying (for instance I don't like "war belts" I find they irritate me with a pack and can become quite sore after a while, just my preference)..

Anyway I digress the best advice is don't just buy something on-line.. Go try it on (you can always find an online deal when you know what suits you). You are going a long way and wearing something that is comfy is so important... I cannot stress that enough! There is a reason things hurt.. They are not suited for you, not a problem over 3,4 or 5 days but day after day they will start to put you at risk of injury and you seem pretty focused on this so do it right and don't end up coming home after 3 days because you've damaged yourself!

In sizing your pack take the most you can carry comfortably and plan you route stops and rests accordingly based around that. You have a long way to go and once you start adding washing gear, clothes... OS maps etc (you might not need maps in leafy Hampshire or Kent but you sure as hell will when you hit Northern Scotland or the national Parks in Wales) the weight and size builds quick.

I think also you will find you need more than 100quid too.. With the distance you are planning on you will need a few sets of new boots along the way (good boots make the difference between pleasure and utter misery... boy I learnt that the hard way! lol).

I am not criticizing your idea I think its good you have such a sense of adventure but you really need to plan this carefully (read the link someone posted earlier and the pre work that guy did) its not about gathering all the gear and off you go safe as houses, you need to work out if its the right stuff for you first and do you have all the skills you need! reading OS maps is only easy if you know how to do it... at night ... with a torch ... in the pouring rain! ;)
If i were you I'd do a few test runs first ... pack up everything and walk your planned amount of miles, catch your dinner set camp have a wash sleep wake-up and repeat for 3 or 4 days, you will soon get an idea of what work what doesn't, what you need and whats excess weight plus those things you have forgotten (and you will forget something)! lol

There are people on here who know way more than me about kit, skills and prep you may need.. the above its just my experience from my somewhat limited adventures!

Last edited:

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I think cracking 20kg worth of dumbell weights in the pack for a few 10 mile walks would get me a rough idea of how the pack would feel, an gain an u derstanding of any pain I may get untill accustomed, the problkems that ppl are expressing the Several day later discomfort, this discomfort could be as with any pack, maybe the bodys irritation that it needs to adapt to.
So even trying out a pack instore wont help me in anyway.
The only thing thatll help, is taking backup funds, although them rugged river canvas bags look like theyll never irritate ,other than leather shoulder straps,may need padding.

Joel_m

Jul 31, 2012
Berkshire
Trying it in store will stop you picking a pack that really doesn't suits you.. other than that you are right you need to try actively using it.
The "several days later pain" is what I was on about with the trial run if you plan (as I read) to walk 30miles a day then walk 30 not 10 with full actual load and kit, sleep in tent and repeat... trust me you will learn a lot from this and your trip will be way more enjoyable a a result! Its only 4 or 5 days out of your life!

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Yeah I could do, but I think im planned financially for getting all? the nescessary items by the time I would prefer to leave. So I cant really do any trekking prior, camping I cant do either, as I wont have the items needed. Next month ill have all cooking gear sorted. All water puri, all blades, all packs, and maybe a tarp and tent, and then ofcourse smaller items.

Last edited:

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
So I cant really do any trekking prior, camping I cant do either, as I wont have the items needed.

I would advise trying the kit out before setting off, there could be manufacturing faults that don't become apparent for a few days or you might just not like it.
It might even be worth postponing the trek to the same time next year, so you can try different kit and learn some skills you're going to need.

This all sounds a bit rushed.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I would advise trying the kit out before setting off, there could be manufacturing faults that don't become apparent for a few days or you might just not like it.
It might even be worth postponing the trek to the same time next year, so you can try different kit and learn some skills you're going to need.

This all sounds a bit rushed.

I dont think ive had any smallprint on anything I bought to try first, I guess I sue the company or something if a product fails.

Im trying everything else once though , thats not pack related to get accustomed to using.
Got a stitching set to take too.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I dont think ive had any smallprint on anything I bought to try first, I guess I sue the company or something if a product fails.

You can't sue the company. All you can do is ask for a repair or refund if it fails during the warranty period. That's why you need to test it first. Things fail. The company doesn't have any obligation to compensate and they won't. They'll just offer to repair or replace if it is a genuine manufacturing fault covered by the warranty.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire

Im trying everything else thpough, thats not pack related to get accustomed to using.

Well, if you're using a pack for something it wasn't designed for they may just laugh at you.

Back to the point of the thread. You can fit maxpedition pouches to the waist belt on my cheap regatta 65l theres a sort of Molle thing, you probably could on most packs.

You're not on a gap year are you?

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
You can't sue the company. All you can do is ask for a repair or refund if it fails during the warranty period. That's why you need to test it first. Things fail. The company doesn't have any obligation to compensate and they won't. They'll just offer to repair or replace if it is a genuine manufacturing fault covered by the warranty.

Well if a pack fails surely its against trading standards?
Theres no way they send a pack off the production line without testing them is there? what if people buy it then store it a year?
Its 115 gbp if it suffers manufacturer fault on me ill send a little surprise back to the companys involved if I cant compensate or sue etc, I wont tolerate that sort of monopoly on me, no one should

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well if a pack fails surely its against trading standards?
Theres no way they send a pack off the production line without testing them is there? what if people buy it then store it a year?
Its 115 gbp if it suffers manufacturer fault on me ill send a little surprise back to the companys involved if I cant compensate or sue etc, I wont tolerate that sort of monopoly on me.

No, it has nothing to do with trading standards. And no they don't test them when they come off the production line as that would make them all used and second hand. If you store it a year, then you have no warranty. It's not a monopoly, it's the law. You need to employ a little more common sense. You have an obligation to look after yourself. No one else or any company who makes your kit is going to do that for you. Buy the Sabre, test it or don't. If it fails when you need it. Then that is your fault for not having looked at it carefully before embarking on a serious trip. Only a fool goes on exped without first testing and becoming comfortable with all of his kit, clothing and emergency procedures.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Well if a pack fails surely its against trading standards?Theres no way they send a pack off the production line without testing them is there? what if people buy it then store it a year?Its 115 gbp if it suffers manufacturer fault on me ill send a little surprise back to the companys involved if I cant compensate or sue etc, I wont tolerate that sort of monopoly on me, no one should
Are you threatening terrorist actions againts companies? Hmmm you are an odd ball. And I believe a troll. I don't believe you have any intention of embarking on this walk, and are having a bit of a jape at the forums expence.

Last edited:

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
No, it has nothing to do with trading standards. And no they don't test them when they come off the production line as that would make them all used and second hand. If you store it a year, then you have no warranty. It's not a monopoly, it's the law. You need to employ a little more common sense. You have an obligation to look after yourself. No one else or any company who makes your kit is going to do that for you. Buy the Sabre, test it or don't. If it fails when you need it. Then that is your fault for not having looked at it carefully before embarking on a serious trip. Only a fool goes on exped without first testing and becoming comfortable with all of his kit, clothing and emergency procedures.

Your suggesting its fine for companys to sell expensive items to people that are too fragile.
It should all be zero tolerance from the consumer.
A messed up society if you got to check what you buy.. shouts 'youre being used to me', and shouts 'by our products we will bodge for youre' displeasure.

Sounds like we need a civil war to ensure customer satisfaction for human rights against the capitalisms.

You want your life depending on this item, well its probably faulty but as a company we made som e money from the interest of your money sitting in our oversized bank account, oh and the call to us cost you too..

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
:lmao: I thought this guy was serious for a bit then. Just looked at his other posts. Seems we have a comic on the forum, or our very own mall ninja. Nice one, you had me drawn in for a second :lmao:

Seems my Lucius Fox reference was more apt than I thought. He will sell you all the hi tech equipment you need. I recommend the Tumbler for harsh city environs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE