custom belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
a friend of mine asked me to make him a belt with 8 designs carved in. he chose the designs. a little mismatched to me but hey each to his own. there is a pentagram, a valknut, 4 elemental symbols and two strange swirly things?

cimg1392c.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-08-06
cimg1393li.jpg

cimg1394q.jpg

cimg1399h.jpg

cimg1400b.jpg

not too pleased with how it came out myself but you live n learn aye

Hamish

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
I think you've done a nice job actually. As you suggest results always improve with practice and experimentation. I'm wanting to start some leatherwork and my biggest problem is a lack of confidence mainly brought about due to the cost of leather and not wanting to waste material by failing!

I'm following your threads with interest dread-head.... Keep up the good work and continue inspiring newcomers such as myself.

Martin :) :beerchug:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo...what is it youre not pleased about?

ive only ever made a few belts....for something so simple they are quite labour intensive and awkward to do much with apart from the obvious....after all they are just a rectangle lol....and hand dyeing them is a right messy business....floppin about everywhere.....i'll take pics of my latest in a bit and post up for you...

nice work m8!

a

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

ive only ever made a few belts....for something so simple they are quite labour intensive and awkward to do much with apart from the obvious....after all they are just a rectangle lol....and hand dyeing them is a right messy business....floppin about everywhere.....i'll take pics of my latest in a bit and post up for you...

nice work m8!

a

I got a big bit of unspun wool whcih I use to hand dye large areas - dilute the dye first, get plenty on and move quick across the piece. Repeat if needed from the opposite direction.

Dreadhead

I think you've done a nice job actually. As you suggest results always improve with practice and experimentation. I'm wanting to start some leatherwork and my biggest problem is a lack of confidence mainly brought about due to the cost of leather and not wanting to waste material by failing!

I'm following your threads with interest dread-head.... Keep up the good work and continue inspiring newcomers such as myself.

Martin :) :beerchug:

thankyou for the kind words really appreciate it if your ever in the area give me a shout and you can come aboard and have a practice n whatnot

Dreadhead

nice work m8!

a

i think some of the carving/embossing looks a little naff but thats more due to the small designs. i hate carving spirals its a right pain in the rear could really do with some sort of spiral stamp but cant find one anywhere. your right about belts being harder than they look. i didnt dye this one i just rubbed in several layers of neatsfoot oil with a cheap dishwashing sponge. i prefer uneven dye anyway gives more character ;)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo...ta for the tip mountain...i will indeed try that....its so messy a job anyway just using a dauber that a sponge/wool might as well be used...cant make it any worse....i dont have a huge amount of space in my workshop so i did one on the floor....its still splattered to this day....then i went outside and did one on the paved bbq area and mrs angst ripped me a new one haha!

I got a big bit of unspun wool whcih I use to hand dye large areas - dilute the dye first, get plenty on and move quick across the piece. Repeat if needed from the opposite direction.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
From what I can see it's very well done. Spirals are indeed a right pain in the butt to do and you've done very well. It's a couple of years since I've done any tooling, not had the funds for the leather, and I hate to think what my next attempt will be like! At least I know how to sharpen the swivel knife these days :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE