Extended Giant Seat Meet In September

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

I was talking to a few of the regulars at Giants seat over the weekend, the general consensus` was that the weekend wasn't really long enough to do the things they wanted to do.

So the next giants Seat will be an extended meet from DATES CHANGED to 25th- 30th of September of September, we will be having at least one work day to improve the site and are planning some skills sharing sessions on the other days after the success of Alan's Trauma care session on Saturday of the last meet (thanks Alan)

We are also looking at doing a bring and buy type of event on one of the days where people can bring products that they going spare or have even made themselves to flog on to the other members.

I would like to start a list of people that will be attending below copy and paste as usual.

If you cant make the entire meet that's fine if for example you can only come for the weekend just add the dates that you can make next to your name in the list.

Also if people could put down the things they would like learn i can see who is available with the relevant skills and cajole them into doing a session.

Hopefully as this is a longer meet we might entice some of the people further afield to come and enjoy this fantastic site and join us on some of the workshops.

Please ad your names, dates and preferred topics in the format below

I will try to get all popular topics covered but if we don't have anyone with the skills c`est la vie.

Thanks Dave

Please take a second to read the rules below

Giants Seat is located off Ringley Road West.
This is the A667, which runs between Whitefield (Manchester) and Kearsley (Bolton).
The campsite is between the villages of Outwood and Ringley.
Distance from M60 Junction 17 - 3 miles (10 minutes).

Grid reference (of entrance from Ringley Road West) - SD 774 055 GB Grid

Address:
Ringley Road West
Radcliffe
Manchester
M26 1EW

Sat Nav users enter M26 1DY and keep following the track to the end, bearing left where it splits

Or paste this into Google

53.53995,-2.342162

About the Site

The site is a functioning scout camp, we are lucky enough to have built a great relationship with the warden and are pretty much given free reign.

There are 10,000 standing Tree’s majority Oak although there are birch and beech on the site as well as a few others.

There is a VERY large field that can be used for tents etc. this is flanked by woods on both sides. Also at the bottom of the field is another wooded area ALL of which is scout land. The boundary on the left (looking down the field with Martin Lodge behind you) is the stream. On the right the boundary is the road that runs towards the garden centre. At the bottom the boundary is where the rail track meet the Motorway. The site as a whole covers 54 acres, so there is no issue with space.

There is a fully functional Shower block with 3 electric showers, sinks, urinals and 5 toilets. There is also access to drinking water on the site.

There are a few rules that need to be followed to allow us all to have a good time without damaging the relationship that we have built Please take a few mins to read through this post to familiarise yourselves as failure to adhere to these rules may mean you being asked to leave the site

Thanks in advance

Dave Bromley

G.M.B.G

Giants Seat Rules

*Please pay Subs when you arrive, its £5 per night per person. (i'm there for a good time too so dont want to have to chase people please)

*NO GROUND FIRES - there is extensive leaf mould so all fires must be raised

*We can take as much deadwood as we like BUT IT MUST BE DEAD if in doubt leave it alone

*The Flag circle is out of bound (no exceptions)

*Sharps and alcohol dont mix so no drunken sillyness (by all means have a drink just dont overdo it)

*Sharps to be sheathed unless in use

*any Guests or Minors are the responsibility of the relevant Member

*There is ample room if you want to be away from the group by all means do so.

*All litter must be removed from site, there is NO site bin so if you brought it with you take it out or burn it please (not whilst others are cooking)

* Toilet blocks are to be left clean! (offering to do these will be of great help as I usually get left to do them)

* oh and last but most important ...........................HAVE FUN!!

I know a lot of these wont apply to everyone on here, but better to be safe than sorry

Thanks guys and i look forward to seeing you there

Dave

Dave Bromley - entire meet - friction firelighting, firecraft, sourcing natural materials and map & compass work.

Last edited:

Kat007

Dec 17, 2011
Eccles
yes I'd like to go to this. Hoping to get a biolite camping stove so that I can charge my phone this time as not having it last time caused all sorts of problems for me on the way home from the site!

Kat007

Dec 17, 2011
Eccles
Thanks for your well wishes following my being driven into last Sunday. I am recovering well, wish I could say the same about my bike!

When do you think the pictures from the last giant seat meet will be uploaded? I'm looking for them but have terrible problems finding anything on this site, Alan had to find the giant seat meet details for me and therefore as a result I rarely use it.

Teresa

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Theresa

Glad to hear you are feeling better, glad to hear also that nobody was hurt too badly!

The pics from the last meet are here

and these dates may have to be amended now as the warden of the site has said we might not be able to stay until the Sunday (despite already approving the dates and confirming by email) I'll keep you updated as i get a reply to my last email

Thanks

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
RIGHT

This has been rescued, but the dates have changed. The dates are now 25th - 30th of September and as before come for as long or a little as you can.

I am going to speak to some of the members and see of they will be willing to do some skill sharing across the week and when i have more information i will post an itinerary so people can plan their stay around elements that they want to cover.

If anyone is willing to do any skill share sessions please contact me via PM so that we can discuss it further.

Thanks

Dave

Attendee list

DaveBromley
Noodoo

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I couldn't do the last dates as I was away but I should be able to make the weekend of the new dates.

Attendee list

DaveBromley
Noodoo
Jim_aramis (tbc)

Cliv

Forager
Nov 15, 2008
Preston
Attendee list

DaveBromley
Noodoo
Jim_aramis (tbc)
Dannytsg (14th or 15th tbc)
Cliv (28th to 30th)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Good stuff chaps will be good to see everyone

Dannytsg the dates are 25th - 30th of September mate, the original dates had to be changed unfortunately

Looking forward to this meet as it should allow us to get a bit more done than the weekend usually allows.

Dave

Priam

Forager
May 24, 2011
Cheshire
Good stuff chaps will be good to see everyone

Dannytsg the dates are 25th - 30th of September mate, the original dates had to be changed unfortunately

Looking forward to this meet as it should allow us to get a bit more done than the weekend usually allows.

Dave

OOPS!!! I hadn't spotted the date change either i will try and rearrange our holiday bookings!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
lol no worries matey i would have preferred the early dates TBH but cést la vie

Should be a good meet provided people can make it for more than the weekend (although if not it just means i will be there on my own lol)

Dave

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
We should make it for the weekend, and try to turn up as often as we can during the week. I'd like to do the whole week, but the kids are back in school, so we won't be able to stay on weeknights.

Alan

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
will be nice to see you there alan

I'm going for the entire week lol

Booked time off work etc, will be interesting to see how many make for the days other than the weekend though.

At this rate i might have the place to myself lol

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE