gore tex bivvys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 21, 2005
dublin ireland
hi all i was wondering if anyone knows a good supplier in the uk for goretex bivvy bags just here in dublin the cheapest price i got was 200 euro so if anyone has any info its greatly appreciated cheers nigel.

Aug 15, 2005
Dartmoor
If you want Gucci then look in mountaineering retailers. I bought an olive green ex-army no zip Goretex bivi bag from my local army surplus and its excellent. Bought from Endicotts of Exeter for £40 - don't know if they have a website but if you call 01392 433 331 you'll be there. They stock lots, so make sure its Goretex.
I'm not connected to them in any way - just a good local source of things usefull!

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Jasper at 'Strikeforce' often has some new and used ones in, usually at £40 or less. Check out his web site. :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gore-Tex bivvy bags are great. No, I mean utterly incredibly amazing. Except for two things: It's difficult nay, impossible to change your clothes inside, and there's really no place to store your pack, hardware, and boots. (If you're climbing) I think that's where a basha comes in.

I use a bivvy bag in the winter, as it actually adds a few degree's warmth to my bag, which also happens to be down. (I couldn't afford a gore-tex down filled bag)

When I was a bit younger, I used to take my gore-tex parka and zip it up around my bag's footbox, cinch the hood, and it did an okay job of stopping the bag from soaking up too much condensation from our tent. And since our tent is a TIGHT two man 4 season, I was always pushed right up against the wall, so I'd wake up in the morning with a good portion of my down clumped and damp from the condensation. Heh, I used to take all are food bags and random stuff from my pack and line the wall as a barrier between me and my bag.

Ahhh....then I stole me Dad's bivvy, and that problem is no more. (When I'm in a tent)

His is a bit older, so the hood cinches shut, but newer ones actually have a flexible pole around the hood which raises it off your face, and does a bit better of a job draining.

And yes, I'm just making a comment about bivvy bags, telling of my experience, and not telling you where to buy one, because hey, I'm not in Europe. :D (I wish I was!!!)

Cheers mate,

Adam

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
bushwacker bob said:
Funny, most of us wish we were in Canada.

I'll second that! :D

On the subject of bivvy bags, I have a british army gore-tex one without a drawstring & it has room enough for me & my 30ltr pack, a possibles bag & my boots - oh and 6'2" ol me of course. Always worth checking ebay for them.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ahhhh.....flattery will you you everywhere, guys. If I wasn't so suave and good looking, I doubt my boss would've hired me. Canada's not too shabby I guess, too bad the weather sucks sh*t right now. It's dark, dreary, cloudy and rainy all day everyday now, and will to continue to be so until about January or February. (Mmm...perfect weather for wearing Ventile)

And Hedgehog? That sounds like a pretty nice bivvy bag. The one I stole off my Dad has enough room for me and my down bag, plus my boots, if they're my summer boots. My Salomon winter boots won't fit, which means if it's this time of year, all my kit has to be left outside the bag. It's still a good bag though, it's a red and blue, polyurathane bottom, and gore-tex upper, with noo see-um netting for the headbox, and a full zip close.

Cheers guys!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE