Why do rockers wear suits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
To answer the original question in simple terms, Because (Expletive Deleted) you! That's why!!!
Or to but it a nicer way, because they can and because why not?!?!?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Suits just look good, and can be as comfortable as any other clothing. Sometimes people want to look smart rather than scruffy. True, we had to buy our school suits at Harrods, so that might have something to do with my views:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Playing 3 chords on a guitar? Elvis very rarely even touched an instrument of any kind (never after his first year or so) when performing. Yet he was and always will be the King of Rock & Roll.

Elvis? Nah - he was just a pop singer - the Justin Bieber of his era:) I was going to compare him to the Spice Girls, but at least they wrote some of their own material!

Now Led Zep - there's a rock act. Genuine musicians, all of them.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Elvis? Nah - he was just a pop singer - the Justin Bieber of his era:)....
Santaman and I have just choked, I'm sure... those dulcet tones singing 'Fever'... he had bucketfuls of talent which he used over his life and suits? Kids today don't realise what *bling* was!!!

But I agree with you on the Zep fo'sure ;)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Irony, and for a rocker it's actually more rebellious to wear a suit than the cliche leather and denim.

That's it, I'm not normally the type to wear a suit so sometimes I do it just for the sake of it when everyone else I'm with is going casual. I'm no rocker though! Sometimes it's nice to fix up and look sharp in a vintage suit just for a laugh.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not a funny but a serious query.

I've been watching a few vids on the tube and it rather galls me to see musicians of the more rocker type wearing suits.

Why do they do it?
I've always thought it to be the worst type of clothing along with a tie to be worn for any reason.
Uncomfortable, restricting and of no practicle use in my opinion.

Just a simpletons thoughts,can anyone help me understand?

Well, there is rock...

AvSqc.jpg

fAKae.jpg

And there is rock...

QohZp.jpg

mujYT.jpg

oQrPV.jpg

Other than for funerals, I have managed not to wear a suit for years, long may that continue. :)

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Elvis? Nah - he was just a pop singer - the Justin Bieber of his era:) I was going to compare him to the Spice Girls, but at least they wrote some of their own material!

Here in Nashville that's blasphemy! :). We yanks don't do suits very well. American cut is blocky and awkward.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Who cares what they wear? :)
Many thanks for the thread though ... I just spent 1/2 an hour reliving my youth playing air guitar to Led Zep on You Choob and remembering when I saw them live at Foret National in Brussels!
Now - they were Rock Gods.
Us inside never noticed the riot outside until the show (and riot) were over!

I was deaf as a post for days after from the volume of the awesome rock music. :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Elvis (and his generation) were the original rock and rollers (notice I didn't say rockers as that's a more recent bastrdization) All who followed were mere immitators.

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
He was from Tupelo, Mississippi. He moved to Memphis after becoming famous.

That is true. I stand corrected. It is funny that even though I live in Nashville I am neither an Elvis nor a country music fan. Nashville has become a recording Mecca for all types of music. Lots of Hollywood stars live here too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE