Friday over nighter (failed 15 or less challenge) pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last Friday Myself and Pete headed up the permission for an over nighter with the intent of doing the fifteen or less challenge(well i suggested it so only fair i should attempt it)
Jake checked daddy's pack for contraband items
jakepack.jpg

Then Pete and I headed off in Pete's car-this was still full of his stuff from his last outing the weekend before when he went night fishing.
i Showed Pete the Evenk slippery figure of eight tarp hitch, he then dutifully practised it repeatedly despite being attacked by little biting insects
P7060029.jpg

i hopped up on a log and tied the other end in a taut tarp hitch
P7060031.jpg

Home for the night(originally just Pete but plans changed i shall explain more shortly)
P7060032.jpg

my original home for the night
P7060034.jpg

We then had a short downpour while we got the fire lit, first slip away from the fifteen items or less-i used my Zippo to light the tinder as it was all a bit soggy, i also used my cowboy hat as a small shelter for the little fire to give it time to get established
As you can see it worked and we got a brew going
P7060035.jpg

i had taken a new to me Zebra 12cm billy can, i can assure you that it wasn't shiny by the time i was finished with it
P7060036.jpg

We had another downpour which threatened to put out the fire so i got a little damp rigging my poncho over the fire to protect it, this slipped me out of the challenge again as it meant i would be using an item from someone else
worked nicely to keep everything dry though
P7060038.jpg

After it got dark i treated myself to a few sips of Stag's Breath from the hip flask i received from Jake as a Father's Day gift
P7060046.jpg

Dinner that night was home made Lamb Kebabs supplied by Pete with some Pitta bread and a yoghurt dip thing that started with a T that i can neither remember nor spell
P7060063.jpg

Around 01:00 we bedded down for the night, i used a waterproof poncho, closed cell mat and a Dutch army surplus wool blanket
P7070066.jpg

I settled well but woke at around 02:30 in the morning in desperate need of a comfort stop, once that was dealt with i had a smoke and rebuilt the fire before bundling up in my blanket again. I've got to say having slept with just blanket's several times my respect for people who do it all the time is increased each time i do it.
i woke again around 07:20 and decided it was time to get up
this was the fire when i woke
P7070067.jpg

and after five mins work it had the billy going for first brew of the day
P7070068.jpg

Pete surfaced from his pit-as far as sitting up anyway- got to say there are better views to wake up to than this
P7070069.jpg

not that i am the most fetching sight first thing in the morning, especially while the first cup is still kicking in
P7070071.jpg

We then had a dog walker pop in for a natter, i see him most times i'm up there and he always stops to ask where the Full English is.
P7070072.jpg

After half an hours chat he left and we opened the bacon we had been hiding ;)
P7070073.jpg

bacon tortilla wrap breakfast of champions
P7070074.jpg

Then we cleared up the fire so it wasn't visible
P7070075.jpg

packed up our kit and headed home.
Why did i fail the 15 or less challenge? Too much temptation sat in Pete's car and i am only human.
next time i shall walk up there as it is too easy to just grab bits out the car when it sat near you and you want to sit down or you want illumination

still was a great time even if we got chewed to bits by the vicious little midges
thanks for looking and coming along with us

if you are gonna suggest something and put your name to it even if its just a user name you need to be honest with yourself and everyone else.
specially as last year was won by mr multiple personality Beenn (little toerag)
i could of jiggled the photo's to avoid folk seeing chairs oil lanterns and so on but i would of known the lie and that's enough to make sure i tell the truth

Truthfully i ache after a night on a CCF roll mat i really missed my self inflating mat, was like a 90 yr old last night sat on sofa aching and whimpering, dunno how folk do it all the time

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Not a failure ~ more a deferment of success :D ~ but it does go to show that, if they're available we'll head for comfort(s).

... Truthfully i ache after a night on a CCF roll mat i really missed my self inflating mat, was like a 90 yr old last night sat on sofa aching and whimpering, dunno how folk do it all the time

I used one a while back so that I could fore-go the IPK sheet. My CCF used to feel like luxury*, I more than suspected that old bones had crept up and overtaken me :eek:

* A high-rise 1cm in place of the old orange and silver 5mm jobbie I'd been using up to that point ~ and before I traded up to self-inflating mat.

Jul 18, 2011
Hitchin, England
A good trip with some good food and quite a bit more comfortable than the -11c trip in Februar... that guy who came and chatted to us was a bit odd though...

Also the weather was ALOT better than we were expecting which is kind of a shame because I was pretty psyched for a weather armageddon...

Oh and the insect bites... even though me and Sam had repellent on (I even had it in my hair) it made no difference. There were thousands of them, thanks to the monsoon summer and they were so hungry any exposed skin would be chewed-on. Got bitten just above my left eye and spent Saturday walking around looking like I'd been in a fight.

I'll be better prepared for the little b*stards next time

Cheers Pete

Only the mosquitoes are pure evil

obly in culicibus sunt purus malum

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Sam, looks like a quality evening. When going minimal with a blanket I spend a lot of time building up leaf litter and removing the twigs, otherwise I'd wake up a raspberry ripple. Thanks for sharing your trip out...

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Looks like a good night out,i was out the weekend myself and the gnats were out in force until we got the fire going.
My mate left his mossie net open in his hammock and they got in and bit him under his eyes.He looked like bear grylls did
after he got stung by a bee in one of his episodes :)

Nice pics and a good read, im gonna have a go at this myself as soon as i figure out how to put up pics again.

Ahnjo has a tutorial link in his sig line that mght be useful

Hamish-i stole the idea from Mesquite and a few other Rough Close regulars genius and much more resistant to being in a pack than any other bread form i have tried

Sasquatch- not much leaf litter in me permission but i have a fallow field next to it full of grasses so i may give that a try next time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE