Bought myself a parang today.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Horses for courses I suppose, but never having had experience of one, I wonder where that particular curve has an ergonomic advantage over the shape of a Billhook or Kukri? Is it a matter of physics, biomechanics, comfort, or the ability to chop vegetables for the stew pot as well?

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have a new Condor "Village Parang". Very heavy duty and looks like it will hold up to serious bashing. Presently, it is 113 degrees Fahrenheit here, so it will not be tested for awhile.

Jonathan, I guess I missed the posts about your injury last year. Glad you have recovered and in good health. Hope you get to chase some more reptiles in the jungle. Cheers mate!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Does anyone else have one, and how have you gotten on with it? I would also be interested to hear your opinions on the full size version. ...

I have a few parangs. Although I don't have the condor one I have one very like it, or I did have until the wife collared it. She loves it. I get on well with them, I really like the way they handle and they seem to chop above their weight. The main thing I'd be critical of is that the ones made in the tropics often have a ferrule made of copper or brass pipe and I don't get on with that in cold weather. The Condor one looks a lot better from that point of view. Unless you count the one that got stuck between Jonathan's ribs I've never had a blade come loose, but it's always in the back of my mind with a stick tang. The Condor looks better in that regard too although I don't know if the handle would be so comfortable in extended use.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks to everyone that replied in this thread. Its been good to learn about the various parangs.

Heres a quick update on the bronzemoon order. I sent an email with a threat to bring to law into it. They finally contacted me on the 3rd day and informed me that they had a family tragedy, hence no response. ...now I can't confirm if they were lying or not, and I would feel terrible if I told them so and it turned out to be true, so I kept it strictly business in my reply. The email they responded with questioned my manners (admittedly my tone was a bit abrupt, but not rude). So I responded telling them exactly why I sent the message- their terrible reputaion, lack of communication, long wait times, dodgy business practices/accounts etc. They then cancelled my order and refunded me.

I called heinnie and they are getting it in shortly, so I'll be ordering off them soon. In the meantime I have bought an Ontario 12" cutlass machete. For the price it looks like a great lightweight workhorse and should fit nicely in my backpack. I'll be testing it in the woods soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE