Vildmark Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Being as I have booked myself on next years Vildmark course, I was wondering if anyone had any advice etc?

Cheers

Grez..

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Grez said:
Being as I have booked myself on next years Vildmark course, I was wondering if anyone had any advice etc?

Cheers

Grez..
Yup, Enjoy yourself!!! ;)

Seriously, if you've booked yourself on the course, Gary and Johan run a forum for people that have been or are going on the course. It enables us to pass on our pearls of wisdom. :rolleyes:
I'm sure you'll get an invite before long. If not, e-mail either of them and ask.

HTH,

Martin

Hi Grez!

I'm booked too,
you might want to check out the other threads about Vildmark.
Or PM Viking or Paganwolf if you have more specific stuff to ask.

At the time we're going, it's pretty much like over here but more beautiful and lighter. (apparently)

I'm looking forward to it already!

Neil

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Sleep off the ground in a hammock with a mossi net or take a hanging one to use with your basha if you're on the floor.... the mossi's weren't that bad but they did have a munch on the lads and lady that slept on the floor :D

Other than that, you don't really need much if anything more than the stuff on the kit list you'll get with the joining instructions.

Now that you've booked I'm sure Gary or Johan will send you an invite to the Vildmark forum....there's a few of us from last year on there to ask questions of and the new crowd are starting to drift in now too :)

Personally....I can't wait to get back there!!!! :D

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
raskusdrotti said:
I'm booked too

Excellent... I look forward to meeting you, and everyone else who will be attending..

bambodoggy said:
Sleep off the ground in a hammock with a mossi net or take a hanging one to use with your basha if you're on the floor.... the mossi's weren't that bad but they did have a munch on the lads and lady that slept on the floor :D

I'm hoping to have a hammock by then, so hopefully that won't be a problem. Just got to decide on which one now. :D :D

Grez..

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Grez said:
I'm hoping to have a hammock by then, so hopefully that won't be a problem. Just got to decide on which one now. :D :D

Grez..

Personally..... if you can afford it then go for the hennessy with the large hex fly. Both myself and Paganwolf used them last time and Bill used his with normal fly and non of us were biten all week. Also means that if it is very wet you have a dry area under your hammock to store your bergan etc....

Have you had a butchers at my photo's from he last trip? If not then by all means have a look:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a345/bambodoggy/

The first four pages are all of the Vildmark trip.

Look forward to seeing you there :)

Bam.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The mozzies aint that bad and the water is not cold.

Looking forward to see you next year both old and new students. Next year will be even better then it was this year.

If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask, but do via e-mail or on the Vildmark forum.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Viking said:
The mozzies aint that bad and the water is not cold.
Now you know he's lying!!! :D the mozzies were awful and the water was freezing. :eek:

Bam, do you think that the fact you weren't bitten wasn't just because of being in a hammock rather than being on the ground, but more to do with the fact that the hammocks have built in mozzie nets :confused: :)

Martin

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Mozzies?
Never had any trouble with 'em :D But the water was freezing when you get straight in from the sweat lodge. Does this look like warm water to you?

DSCI0049.jpg

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
shinobi said:
Bam, do you think that the fact you weren't bitten wasn't just because of being in a hammock rather than being on the ground, but more to do with the fact that the hammocks have built in mozzie nets :confused: :)

Absolutely, being off the ground was just an added bonus and as the mossi net is built in you can't forget it... ;)

As I said a normal mossi net hung under your basha would no doubt work the same :)

See you at the weekend Mate,

Bam. :D

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I was on the ground under a basha with a mozzie net - slept with it over me like a shroud ! LOL I had the odd bite but kept myself covered with insect repellant. I had expected it to be worse but maybe my precautions worked. What I enjoyed was an environment free of man-made sounds, with nesting ospreys viewed from a canoe, red squirrels, black woodpeckers, signs of beaver and elk as well as learning within a group where everyone seemed to gel. The leadership was excellent and Preben, our Swedish mentor was charismatic and insiprational. Sorry........I was nearly over there again ! Pay attention to the kit list, it's easy to over-pack, join up with others to plan and to travel and you'll find it a great and relaxing experience.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
shinobi said:
Now you know he's lying!!! :D the mozzies were awful and the water was freezing. :eek:

Martin

If I remember a bunch of guy who enjoyed sitting in the very warm little hut, and no complaints when sitting in the very warm and cozy tub.

I had a talk with the mozzies and since the course is a week earlier this year they will not come out before we have gone back to the urban coma.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
bambodoggy said:
Personally..... if you can afford it then go for the hennessy with the large hex fly.

I was thinking either the Hennessy or the RM Eco Sleep System (but know its way expensive :eek: ). My main problem is that i'm not sure if I will get on with the enclosed feeling of the Hennessy. :confused:

I'm already looking at flight info, and have found a BA one that flys from Heathrow. Just not sure how to get from the airport to the Bus Station. :confused:

Can someone also PM the details of the Vildmark Forum please?

Cheers

Grez...

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
shinobi said:
There's a bus that goes directly from the airport to the bus station. It only costs a tenner or so. You'll get that info when you get your paperwork.

I was looking at a flight to Gardermoen instead of Torp as it appeared to be closer to Arjang (think the spelling is probably incorrect).

Grez.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
You're right - all except one of us flew from Heathrow to Gardermoen - we then went by bus to the central bus terminal in Oslo (about £9) then by coach to Arjang (about £10). It was vey straightforward. We were then picked up by Preben and Johan from the coach park for the journey to camp (about 20 minutes).

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
falcon said:
You're right - all except one of us flew from Heathrow to Gardermoen - we then went by bus to the central bus terminal in Oslo (about £9) then by coach to Arjang (about £10). It was vey straightforward. We were then picked up by Preben and Johan from the coach park for the journey to camp (about 20 minutes).

That sounds easy enough.... Did you have to book the coach?

Looks like this trip is going to be full of firsts for me..

Grez..

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
No you don't have to book the coach. You can pay the driver or for the Arjang coach from Oslo Bus Station you can pay at the office, I think you get it a bit cheaper that way.
Its a 40 minute drive from the airport to the bus station and about a 2 hour drive from there to Arjang.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Another first for some of the guys was a trip in preben's ex military vehicle (a Humvee ?).....those who survived it said it was .."interesting"...It wasn't needed for the return journey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE