Watches - in or out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Not very bushcrafty but...

When you wear a wrist watch do you wear it inside your wrist or outside?
Any particular reason or just "the way it is"?

Dave

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Some people will say one way is better to protect the watch face, or easier to see, but I don't think there's much in it. Personally, I find it more comfortable on the top of the wrist so it's not compressing or digging into the veins and tendons when flexing the wrist. Depends on the watch as well I guess.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I wear mine hanging from my belt.

As a living history interpeter I do not wear a watch while I am working but it took a long time to get rid of the reflexive "look at my wrist" whenever I wanted to know the time.

Now my wrist is the very last place I would expect to find the time....

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
MartiniDave said:
Not very bushcrafty but...

When you wear a wrist watch do you wear it inside your wrist or outside?
Any particular reason or just "the way it is"?

Dave

I haven't owned a watch for 20 years. I watched Easyrider at a formative age :rolleyes:

My house has a clock in it, as do my place of work, my motorbike and my car.

The rest of the time, I'm not too bothered...

Jim.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
When I own one, I wear it on the outside.
Why? Because it's designed to be worn on the outside so it fits better. I have seen a handful of watches designed to be worn inside though, if you want one like that...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Certain sections of the military (snipers and that sort of lot) wear them on the inside of the wrist so they can see them while holding a rifle.

I'd say it's just horses for courses ;)

Bam. :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The best place I have heard of to wear your watch is inside your hat, I was told of a bloke that when asked the time would take off his hat, hold it up shielding his eyes as he looked toward the sun, and tell the time to the minute!
Lots of "wows" and "it must be to do with shadows" from onlookers! :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Goose said:
The best place I have heard of to wear your watch is inside your hat, I was told of a bloke that when asked the time would take off his hat, hold it up shielding his eyes as he looked toward the sun, and tell the time to the minute!
Lots of "wows" and "it must be to do with shadows" from onlookers! :D

That's pretty much how I used to tell the time when I was living in Oz - except I didn't have a watch in my hat. Best accuracy I could manage relilably was about 15 minutes either way.

I've never been able to do it accurately in Britain though - I reckon the day length varies too much.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
If I wear my watch, I wear it on top of my wrist. I wear mine when I've got exams, or when I have a very tight agenda.
At the moment I don't wear one ... There are clocks everywhere (everybody is in a hurry these days ...): underground / tube, at uni campus, in class rooms, and in any other public place ... and I've got one on my mobile :rolleyes: - so that'll do just fine.

Whilst bushcrafting don't wear one at all ... (it's bad for your tan aswell: I don't like a white band on my brown wrist / arm :cool: )
IMHO there's no real use for it (accept navigation / distance calculation purposes) whilst buscrafting:
- When you wake up: it's time to get up
- When you're hungry: it's time for breakfast / lunch / dinner
- When you're sleepy: it's time to go to bed
- When it's dark, you're too late with setting up camp ;) :D

IMHO it's all about being one with nature - which includes living in its pace. (I know, sounds like a tree hugger ;) :p :D).

PS - My watch is a Tri-lum thingie: without batteries - it works on solar power (or, in absence a lamp :D).

EDIT:
g4ghb said:
Back to basics, i wear mine on the outside (and on my right!) - just seems right that way......

Forgot that one: Mine is on the left ... and I'm right handed.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm not entirely sure that a watch really is needed for navigation purposes. In any conditions where you're going to need to navigate by dead-reckoning, your pace is likely to be substantially lower than otherwise. In the past I've normally worked on the assumption that I cover about 4km per hour cross-country with a pack, but practice shows that my pace can vary widely, even in good conditions. Every time I've heard someone talk about serious dead-reckoning navigation, it's invovled counting paces, not measuring time. And I have heard of people making serious navigation errors because they were judging distance by time taken, based on experience in different terrain or conditions.

The only timepiece I usually have with me is my phone, and if I'm out in the wilds it's turned off. Like Ahjno says, you don't need to know what time it is beyond time to get up / eat / pitch camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE