Which is the best large army surplus rucksack ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Which is the best large military surplus rucksack ? I will be collecting some kit together for camping trips and will be needing a large rucksack, as will be camping with smallish children. Thought I would run the question past the experts ! On Ebay there seems to be a wide choice of modern looking surplus packs availiable for not vast sums of money. Or would I be better looking for a s/h civilian commercial one.
Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tried PLCEs, Vulcans and Crusaders, none of them as comfortable as a Sabre IMHO

I'd try and move away from the massive packs if you can, try and look to reduce your pack load and you'll enjoy it much more. If your'e just walking a few yards from the car then go for it.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you want to go large, the Lowe Alpine Saracen is enormous - with the floating lid you can stuff an Exped 140litre dry bag inside it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryArhQsO2E&feature=plcp ), and still have additional carry on the side pouches. It has what appears to be a bullet-proof adjustable back system as well, and in my limited experience is extremely comfortable. They occasionally come up on ebay and were issued to the dutch military I believe. Seem to have an excellent reputation as being bullet-proof (not literally!) by those who've used them as well.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Any of the Lowe Alpines, or Berghaus Vulcans/crusaders etc if you are looking to buy a genuine 2nd hand ex military rucksack. If you are looking for a large military style rucksack then add the bigger Karrimor sabres to your list.

If you intend to carry the pack more than a mile or so, then my advice is to steer well clear of the British Army PLCE bergen, they are designed to be used sat on top of webbing (belt pouches), and even then comfort wasn't a massive design priority. Most people, but not all, struggle to use them comfortably.

I have the Karrimor sabre 60-100- my choice for civvi multi day expeds (most comfortable), a Lowe Alpine Saracen for military use (good balance between comfort and strength), and several PLCE bergens (retired in favour of the Karrimor and Lowe)

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Large ALICE pack is a pleasure to use. I can fill it up with 30kg of kit and provided you are roughly average height and build you can get all the weight on to your hips and off the shoulders, plus the airflow to your back is a god send.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes but with the ALICE as with the military bergens, be sure you're getting genuine surplus and not a cheap knock off.

OK as many people have said the Negatives about the PLCE Bergen are True, Its Heavy for what it is, Its far from the most comfortable bag on the market, but they aren't exactly uncomfortable, and in a civilian environment it looks hideous.

That said.....

If your after something that is going to last no matter what you throw at it or more likely where your throw it, and don't want to spend a small fortune then second Hand Grade 1 PLCE Bergen is what you are after.

Like I said earlier
If Weight is an issue then don't get one.
If Comfort is an issue then don't get one.
If how it Looks is an issue then don't get one.

If you want a bag that can take a bit of abuse.
If you want a bag that doesn't cost the earth
If you want a bag that has a lot of room

Then PLCE Bergen is what you are after.

The come in two sizes Short back which is shorter but wider and a long back which is taller but narrower

Hope that helps

Nathan

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OK as many people have said the Negatives about the PLCE Bergen are True, Its Heavy for what it is, Its far from the most comfortable bag on the market, but they aren't exactly uncomfortable, and in a civilian environment it looks hideous...

Like I said earlier...
If how it Looks is an issue then don't get one....

I thought they looked pretty good personally.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I thought they looked pretty good personally.

I found them comfortable as does my son but we are on the taller side so perhaps this helps. They are not fashionable packs but very functional, hard wearing and for many comfortable etc. That said the Alice was comfy too. I still prefer (from memory) the external frame packs, if I were young or up to hiking I'd look for one even now, though perhaps this is a case of rose tinted specs.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
As a lot of folks have said, PLCE bergan is not a bad bit of kit but like all packs it has it's pro's & con's - all of which have been covered above.

Personally Ive never had a problem with them - but then again I did my basic in 58 webbing with a 58 'large' pack so anything was an improvement!

I also rate the ALICE pack, I have a large ALICE and had not had any problems with it - although it is on the heavy side.

Recently I picked up a New Zealand army ALICE pack, again a very good bit of kit, in fetching DPM which is fine for ACF trips as it matches our current kit - may need to get an MTP cover though when we get issued our MTP :-(

Den

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

That's a French army bag used by the 'chasseur alpin' ...the mountain branch of the army:)..

for some reason they're not very popular here, I've never seen one in the flesh so can't comment on the build quality & there's precious little info about them on the net.....I can tell you though that they sell for peanuts...for example...http://cgi.ebay.fr/SAC-A-DOS-renfor...6?pt=FR_JG_Sports_Camping&hash=item4845ba1d3c

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
This one from the Marine Corps is getting good reviews but they're expensive new and difficult to find a complete one used. www.ilbepack.com

The USMC ILBE rucky is in my opinion one of the best ruckies out there,.....if I had the funds & could justify buying yet another bag, I wouldn't hessitate.....the demo/review vids on youtube don't help either....there are limits to my resistance :D

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
The USMC ILBE rucky is in my opinion one of the best ruckies out there,.....if I had the funds & could justify buying yet another bag, I wouldn't hessitate.....the demo/review vids on youtube don't help either....there are limits to my resistance :D
I scrounged one in Iraq, absolutely the nuts, looks feels like someone actually thought out the design with need and use as priority. Very practical. I have some Kifaru packs and they are not that great compared to this. On ebay there is a Frenchie selling them brand new, cheaper than Kifaru and no hassle with customs.
Go on Go on you know it makes sense, she will will only hate your guts for a short while, and she only hates you because she loves you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE