Tentipi, why so expensive ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
They look to have a fairly simple pattern for manufacture and aren't they made in China now ?

So why they do damn expensive ?

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
So in essence you are just paying for the name ?
Seems a fairly simple tent to manufacture . I would love to know what they actually cost to make. Do Tentipi keep it secret who they use to manufacture ?

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
We have a Zirkon 7 and for us it was money well spent. There isn't really anything else that compares for less money. If there was, then maybe the price would be lower?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Thought they were made in Estonia or somewhere in the Baltics in their own facility. It would be a big move if they have switched to China. Mind you I think it can be argued that China manufacturing now turns out the best outdoor gear (eg Terra Nova for one)!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Well, looking at their Classic canvas tents and the prices, I'd look at re-enactment tent makers and get something at a third of the price for something similar. Victor James and Past tents are the most known in the UK.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
As far as I understand it, they brought the manufacturing back to Sweden because of quality issues. Tentipi stated they had done this after a period of quality problems some years ago.

Now, it seems the top of the range Safirs are still made in Sweden, but the cheaper models are made in Tentipis own factory in China.

I don't think their is any doubt that Tentipi make Tentipi, either in their own factory in Sweden or their own factory in China.

I've had mine (a Safir) for just on twelve months, the first one came with faulty guy fixing, a buckle came apart in my hand and it leaked. This was replaced.

The second one has been Ok, but the groundsheet has developed strange holes which seem to be a result of ground beetles eating through it. This was in the garden where several tents have been pitched with no problems.

More recently the pole bent like a banana in what seemed to be only moderate winds, again this was in the garden, and I have had several other tents (nomad Masai, golite shrangrila 5 and mad bear tipi) in much stronger winds with no problem. Tentipi via Taunton Leisure sold me a replacement at half price.

I also recently bought the new porch whic, because if design problems, was unusable. Tentipi offered an indequate fix for the problem , and Taunton Leasure, on behalf of their customers refused to accept this as a solution and offered their customers their money back.

Overall, not that impressed, but I still like the tent, and if you want a polycotton tipi, there is no choice, you have to buy a tentipi. I am hoping that with time, I can put these issues behind me, and become as enthusiastic about my Tentipi as others seem to be about theirs.

As regards the price, have a look at the prices for De Waard tents, they make Tentipi look cheap.

Graham

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
There is another good quality Polycotton lavvu on the market. i've had a Bison Tundra 8 now for 6 years. It is absolutely bomb proof for half the price (stood up to the torrential rain and 70mph winds up in north wales 5 years ago). Ok, it doesn't have the impressive venting system and the floor is an expensive extra (which i've heard isn't that good), but that aside i'm really happy with mine and reckon it has a good many years of use in it.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
There is another good quality Polycotton lavvu on the market. i've had a Bison Tundra 8 now for 6 years. It is absolutely bomb proof for half the price (stood up to the torrential rain and 70mph winds up in north wales 5 years ago). Ok, it doesn't have the impressive venting system and the floor is an expensive extra (which i've heard isn't that good), but that aside i'm really happy with mine and reckon it has a good many years of use in it.

I didn't realise these were still available, do you have a link to the supplier?

The Tentipi floors are extortionate,the "cheap" one is a couple of hundred pounds.

Graham

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Not a laavu, and I don't think they make them any more, but a good approximation in polycotton was the Vango Peace series. Bullet-proof floor sewn-in too. And at under £100 (I got mine new (the 500) at run-out price under £50!) a pretty good bargain. None of the faff of putting it up either - 5 minutes and good to go.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Regardless of where the product is made, it is the materials used, the quality of the workmanship and the skill of the operator, whether it's China, US, UK, Europe, wherever. A lot of Paramo kit is made in South America and it is still quality gear.

Patagonia gear is quite expensive, but they have ethical commitments which cost money. Arc-teryx are v expensive, as are Kifaru, but quality is second to none.

So, some people don't mind spending the money on something which they feel is fit for purpose, will last and will do what they want it to do.

The alternate is to buy cheap knock-off stuff off eBay where someone who lacks original thought has merely tried to copy someone else's design and sell it for peanuts. It might last. It might not. Regardless, it's not ethical.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I'm not against spending money on a quality product, but when you actually look at a Tentipi, or any other lavuu or Tipi, they ain't exactly complicated to manufacture are they, all straight seems and easy pattern cutting.

I'm told Tentipi work on at least 100% mark up .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE