Weald Wood Fair - Sussex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
I thought I'd move this over from another thread.

We are planning on having an impromptu meet up at the Weald Wood Fair on Saturday 24th September. This is a brilliant show all to do with rural woodcraft, including hurdling, trug makiing, broom making, pole lathe work and heavier work. There are demostrations in the woods as well which usually include charcoal making, Saxon living etc...

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/environment/woodlands/wealdwood/woodfair/default.htm

Roger Harrington of Bison Bushcraft has a stand at the show and we have agreed to meet there at noon.

So far myself, Shinobi, Marts and Hedgehog are pencilled in and anyone else is most welcome.

Cheers,

Richard

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
Great - any more takers?

Also if anyone who is coming is proficient in the use of the bow drill I would love a quick lesson in the car park!

Richard

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I am keen to go, but I can only make the Sunday. So if Roger doesn't mind I'll be at his stand on the Sunday at 12.00 for an even more or less impromptu meeting. SWMBO not withstanding.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
KIMBOKO said:
I am keen to go, but I can only make the Sunday. So if Roger doesn't mind I'll be at his stand on the Sunday at 12.00 for an even more or less impromptu meeting. SWMBO not withstanding.

I don't think Roger is aware we are using his stand as a meeting place! It just seemed to be agood idea to meet a a bushcrafty sort of place.

Richard

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Would love to have come over, but im going to be in Devon - sigh!!!!

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Hiya,

due to a change of plans, I won't be able to go tomorrow :( If I want to go at all, I'm going to have to leg it there today. I'll be sure to say hello if I see any members there. like-wise, come and say hello if you see me. I'll be the one in green !!! :D i'll probably be wearing my T & P jacket;
153-09.jpg

with my "bushcraft tribe" badge on the left shoulder.

Sorry about not meeting up with you lot tomorrow. Some time soon, I hope. :eek:

Martin

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
Just come back from the Wood Fair. It was a great day and bigger than any previous year. The format has been slightly changed and there is much more to see in the woods.

I managed to get away with just buying a spoon making set from Woodland Craft Supplies, but had a good chat with loads of people. There is abig Saxon area in the woods where they are dyeing wool, weaving, cooking bread etc and the guy who was at the WG is giving demonstrations. He took time to show me how well/badly different fungi take a spark from a steel and flint.

I told Roger that we woulod be using his stall as a meeting point and he was cool about it.

Back tomorrow and looking forward to meeting up with you all.

Cheers,

Richard

D

damh_bard

Only just saw this thread and I was there yesterday! Met the Bardster, but would have liked to have met you other peeps too. Shame to have missed you Martin :( What a great day it was!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
shinobi said:
Hiya,

due to a change of plans, I won't be able to go tomorrow :( If I want to go at all, I'm going to have to leg it there today. I'll be sure to say hello if I see any members there. like-wise, come and say hello if you see me. I'll be the one in green !!! :D i'll probably be wearing my T & P jacket;
153-09.jpg

with my "bushcraft tribe" badge on the left shoulder.

Sorry about not meeting up with you lot tomorrow. Some time soon, I hope. :eek:

Martin

Me and Rob were there yesterday and I met Nick there too, I was the one with the "Tribe" badge on my green shirt. Saw a few bcuk t-shirts wondering about :)

Blooming good day too...the wooded area was really good, everything from blacksmithing to bread making with stone ground flour, green wood turning to iron smelting in a clay kiln.

Strongly recomend any that missed it to make sure they go next year.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
A great fair. Didn't get there until saturday afternoon in the end. Really enjoyed it. Highlights for me included the inspiring carved faces in wood roots and driftwood (Was it Poll.. someone). I quite liked the trebuchet too ;)

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
On the Friday I had a quick chat with someone at the Wood Craft Supplies stand, about a book concerning the birch bark canoe.

Afterwards I thought it might have been a BCUK member - was it?

Otherwise a great couple of days. Definitely bigger this year and the Saxon stuff in the woods was great.

Highlights for me were 1) being shown (and having a go) how to use a side adze to cleave hazel rods. The guy who showed me had owned the adze since 1959, when he paid a shilling for it. He had traced its manufacture back to 1839 and it still had the original handle. He was cleaving around 1500 rods a day!

2) trying various toasted hedgerow fruits (in the Saxon huts). The difference between the raw state and rasted was amazing. The service berries and elderberries were transformed when mixed with hazlenut, and rosehips.

Good to meet up with Bardster, Flibb and John on the Saturday

Richard

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
If you spoke to the owner of Woodland Craft supplies then he isn't a member.
He does sell some excellent tools and books of a general green working rather than bushcraft type.

I spoke to Roger (Bison) at the W/E who was a bit upset with a chap in a Bushcraft-UK t-shirt who was hanging round his stall suggesting to his customers that they "can learn more at the BushCraft moots" or "through this website" and they "don't need Bisons expensive courses" or they "can make their own knifes if the visit British Blades".
It was a bit insensitive to say the least to say these things within earshot of the owner!!!!.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
KIMBOKO said:
He does sell some excellent tools and books of a general green working rather than bushcraft type.

No - I know the owner. This was someone who was buying the book on his stand

I spoke to Roger (Bison) at the W/E who was a bit upset with a chap in a Bushcraft-UK t-shirt who was hanging round his stall suggesting to his customers that they "can learn more at the BushCraft moots" or "through this website" and they "don't need Bisons expensive courses" or they "can make their own knifes if the visit British Blades".
It was a bit insensitive to say the least to say these things within earshot of the owner!!!!.

I agree. It wasn't any of the guys that met on Saturday as we had a good chat with Roger and Bardster bought a new Carving Axe from him.

Richard

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
KIMBOKO said:

I will own up to being that Chap - except it wasnt quite like that.... I was having a conversation with the other guy on the stall discussing the wilderness gathering and how i didn't go because i thought it expensive, especially after just having been to the BCUK moot and learning lots of stuff there. Bisons own courses were never mentioned, nor was the forum except in context of the moots. The conversation was not with any of his customers but his own partner/employee.
The other conversation about knives arose after a youngish chap and I were discussing making knives after admiring Rogers. The chap said he was interested in making his own and had attemted a few but was limited in space and materials. Hence me pointing him to British Blades.
I am not trying to defend myself here, just setting the record straight from my side. I would never hestitate to pass on sources of good information to anyone who asks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE