Making a Fire Piston the Native Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, the best 20 minutes of my life, I love to watch craftsmen such as this guy do their thing. I'm amazed! I'm guessing from the cutting, that it didn't take 20 mins to make more like an hour! I am going to practise... I reckon seasoned oak is the way to go judging by the hardness of the wood he used...?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Give yourself a weekend to do it.

A number of tropical hard woods can be used but this one still puzzles me as I have yet to confirm the tree. The locals call it beberas

I believe it may be a conifer Podocarpus neriifolius. This species has a interesting history apparently being flora for the ancient continent Gondwana and one of the examples of Antarctic flora that has now made a home in the tropical belt as the continents drifted.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Jamri's fire pistons are now available to buy online!: http://www.sepuh-crafts.com/

Jamri has become ill in recent years which has prevented him working in his fields, but thanks to sepuh-crafts buying his firepistons he is able to continue making a living.

Sepuh-crafts helps support traditional craftsmen and keep skills like this alive, so its all good :)

It goes without saying of course that I have no affiliation to Sepuh-crafts

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE