Driving Theory Test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Have failed twice today so far on the mock tests. Some of the questions are absolutely baffling. For example why do I need to know how old I should be before taking a provisional license holder out in my car? Do I need to know this before I can drive?!!

Neither am I about to tow any trailers and never have done, so I know little about the speeds and lanes I can drive them on motorways (most that past me are doing 80....) Stabiliser Bars or Jock Wheels.

Apparently motorway phones used to link directly to the police, but now either A. Link to a Highways control centre, B The local fire brigade, C, A breakdown service control centre.... (choose which one) DO I NEEEEED TO KNOW THIS?

I have my test tomorrow having recently found out I do not have a license any more. Apparently if you do not send off your pass sheet within 2 years you have to resit your test......... Well I have been driving for 12 years so that would mean 10 of them was without a full license (eeek) When I first did my theory test I got 100% :D However they seem to have updated it in the last decase to include some bloody stupid questions....

Me thinking I aught to have studied more for it :p

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
To be fair, you always need to know these things, dont stop reading and learning it just because you have passed. That increases the risk of you being a poor driver.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The theory test is just so some department can say that they tested you and you passed,thereby putting the onus on you if anything goes wrong.
I don't understand how you can drive for 12 years and then find the theory test difficult to pass.
Sadly, you do need to know all the stuff you mentioned as it's part of the test,the questions are selected at random by machine and so could come from any part of the highway code.You should try the HGV test,that's fun.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I live in the ar.se end of Scotland, the test is full of motorway questions and pelican crossings and signs I have never seen before like trams and bus lanes.. I have gone 12 years without any experience of 50% of the test questions and have never driven on a motorway.

My mother failed the test too when she tried, it is not as easy as it sounds. (well unless you live in London and have daily experience of the full highway code)

The theory test is just so some department can say that they tested you and you passed,thereby putting the onus on you if anything goes wrong.
I don't understand how you can drive for 12 years and then find the theory test difficult to pass.
Sadly, you do need to know all the stuff you mentioned as it's part of the test,the questions are selected at random by machine and so could come from any part of the highway code.You should try the HGV test,that's fun.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good luck with the test :)
I surprised both me and my Instructor by passing mine :D

There are places like Campbeltown that just don't have all of the assorted signages or road features, so hardly surprising if you haven't ever come across those before.
Tell you though, I nearly failed my Theory Test because I kept over reacting to the damned sheep.....I reckon those woolly speedbumps are a hazard, but the test didn't think there were as many hazards from the blighters as I did :sigh:
It was the first question and was the only one I got wrong though, but I was sure I'd failed at that point and only continued just for the experience for the next time.

Don't let it frazzle you, just sit calm and get on with it :D

atb,
Toddy

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Sorry to say I find this quite worrying too! I took my theory test just over a year ago (and passed my full test since) and passed first time with flying colours and to be honest its not that difficult. Most of the test is common sense or things you really should know. I take your comments about trailers and motorways (but then again your license covers it so you need to know it) but roundabouts and the age you can take a learner out is just common knowledge. And how you thought you could get away for 12 years driving (with a passed person in the car or on your own you havent said) without passing your test is just ridiculous! Do you not think what you were doing would be at all dangerous or illegal. Driving is a constantly learning process. It starts before you ever drive a car and still continues long after you pass your test

Rant over
Dan

None the less, goodluck, I know how nerve racking it cant get

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Cheers dude :)

It should be OK, studying is different to what it was when I first passed. I have an excellent app for my phone which shows me the areas I am not so hot on so just need to brush up on my motorway, crossings and signs knowledge.

The last time I passed this all we had was a book and I learned each and every flipping question from a 2 inch think book to the point where I was dreaming the signs each day. I suppose I was a little more used to studying when I was 18!!! Now I am going on a wing and a prayer and a final 24 hours cramming.

I'll update the post tomorrow at 6 ;-)

Then of course I still have to do my practical, did anyone enlighten me on the right way round the roundabout? :X

Good luck with the test :)
I surprised both me and my Instructor by passing mine :D

There are places like Campbeltown that just don't have all of the assorted signages or road features, so hardly surprising if you haven't ever come across those before.
Tell you though, I nearly failed my Theory Test because I kept over reacting to the damned sheep.....I reckon those woolly speedbumps are a hazard, but the test didn't think there were as many hazards from the blighters as I did :sigh:
It was the first question and was the only one I got wrong though, but I was sure I'd failed at that point and only continued just for the experience for the next time.

Don't let it frazzle you, just sit calm and get on with it :D

atb,
Toddy

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Hey Dan - I can see your points there and thanks for the good luck. Just to address a couple though.

Yes most of the test is common sense, much of it is silly easy. 50 questions, you are allowed 6 wrong. I have passed multiple mock tests but today I had a series of questions I have no experience on due to me living in an area where they simply do not apply. The provisional driver question maybe I should have known, however neither my GF who does drive nor my mother knew the answer either. The question is: "How old do you have to be before you can supervise a provisional driver?" I really do not know what this has to do with me being able to drive. I am looking to drive a car, not become a tutor. It is a silly question I think, but if you think not then maybe it is just me!

Roundabouts: That was a sarcastic comment. I said "Which way do you go round a roundabout?" The audience said "LEFT" ;-) (more humour)

For your comments about driving with no license. I passed my theory with 100% and my practical first time with flying colors. I was a licensed driver. I bought a car, got insurance and drove for 12 years and renewed my insurance every year with the same company. I was pulled over by the police after 12 years and they informed me that although the DVLA have a record of my pass, my pass had been recinded because I did not send my pass sheet to them within the 24 month period. I have stopped driving since. The police were very nice about it and no charges were pressed.

@ Driving is a constantly learning process. It starts before you ever drive a car and still continues long after you pass your test

Of course, and I am a lot better driver now than when I was 18.

Sorry to say I find this quite worrying too! I took my theory test just over a year ago (and passed my full test since) and passed first time with flying colours and to be honest its not that difficult. Most of the test is common sense or things you really should know. I take your comments about trailers and motorways (but then again your license covers it so you need to know it) but roundabouts and the age you can take a learner out is just common knowledge. And how you thought you could get away for 12 years driving (with a passed person in the car or on your own you havent said) without passing your test is just ridiculous! Do you not think what you were doing would be at all dangerous or illegal. Driving is a constantly learning process. It starts before you ever drive a car and still continues long after you pass your test

Rant over
Dan

None the less, goodluck, I know how nerve racking it cant get

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
..........how many years after you pass the test though before you can take out a learner ? I'm sure it was 2, but is it still ?

cheers,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
you have wasted ten years of insurance payments, down the drain, pointless, money you could have spent on..........

expensive_indiana_jones_stuff.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE