Tree bushcraft book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Cant think of one off the top of my head Mark. I use a combination of a few books and lots of papers.

I don't know where in the country you are but there is a little shop in Dublin, just off Nassu St.(side of tcd), on Friedrich St. S. that has some heavily reduced books and there might be a few you could buy.

I bough a flowering plant book last week for 3euro which is really good for the price.

There were loads of other interesting ones for bushcrafters, all reasonably priced! A steal really.

Good mushroom book I recall.
A few bird books. Insect books I think.
One interesting one on "grannys cures" for illnesses etc. Cant remember the proper name of it but medicinal lore basically. Might be worth a look.
Carpentry books.
Can't remember seeing books on trees but there is almost certainly something there.

I dont even see tree books anymore. Trees taunt me!

Go check out the physic garden over in trinity while ur there! Its over near Tara st dart station. All plants used medicinally and nice way of seeing them all together.

Hope that helps!

Liam

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I agree with Laughoutlouder.
I have over 90 books on trees, and there are few that even approach outlining the bushcrafty uses of UK trees alone. Looks like there's a gap in the market! ;O) If you do find one, be sure and let this thread know, I'd love a book like that too!

This site: http://www.summerfieldbooks.com/ is a wonderful shop for many tree related books.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think Laughoutlouder and Androo have summed it up. There is no one single book that covers what you are after. I have several tree ID books for identification purposes, if I want to know about some of the food and medicinal uses of plants (including trees) then Food for Free and Flora Britannica by Richard Maybey are useful, as are The Scots Herbal by Tess Darwin and Flora Celtica by Sam Bridgewater, A Handbook of Scotlands Trees, published by Reforesting Scotland also gives some info on traditoinal uses for native and introduced trees, together with planting notes.

For craft-related activities there are books like Green Woodwork by Mike Abbott, Coppicing and Coppice Crafts by Rebacca Oaks and there are many other books on basket making and green willow work, Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft has a lot of info on cordage and campcraft skills. If you want an inspirational book on working with birch bark then Celebrating Birch, by North House Folk School is a must as it has loads of wonderful photos.
Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE