Island Hopping at Källviken, Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I had an opportunity to visit multiple islands at Ekenäs archipelago in Southern Finland during a benthic sampling mission. One of the places I visited was Källviken Nature Reserve. The Reserve is rather small, being cornered by the Baltic Sea in east and south and a small access road in west and north sides. There's a small fountain going through the area. Being a nature reserve no camping is allowed but day visits with portable stoves are within limits.

First of all I would like to present our ride of the day, Tvärminne Zoological Station's boat Saduria. The region was once home to the Russian Baltic Fleet and for that precise reason the waters were filled with submarine nets hold in place by huge anchors. Nobody knows how many are still left or where exactly they are located.

saduriaship.jpg

anchorx.jpg

We were not alone on that day; I personally saw several cargo ships bringing or fetching cargo from nearby steel factory and several Finnish Navy fast attack crafts patrolled the waters. An hour of so travelling we however arrived to the Källviken Bay of which I have attached following photograph. Sandy beaches are very uncommon site in Finland but this region is famous of them. A fountain bringing fresh water from the hills can be also seen.

kallviken.jpg

fountaino.jpg

Some nature sights from the landing beach.

smallspruce.jpg

Beach_tree.jpg

pines.jpg

My current issue Finnish Defence Forces' plastic canteen.

sandbottle.jpg

There some hiking paths leading from the beach to the mainland. They are quite narrow and steep so one must be naturally careful. Also in many parts pine tree roots are explosed due of erosion.

hikingpath.jpg

Time to eat! My Swedish cutlery set.

cutlery.jpg

More will follow if you wish so!

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Stone picnic table and a chair made by the first bushcrafters a hundred years ago.

Stone_picnik_table.jpg

This is how it generally looks like outside the trails in Southern Finland, Källviken was no exception to the rule.

Outside_trail.jpg

To give some idea of the archipelago, I finish my post to this photograph.

Archipelago.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I forgot to write about the weather on my opening post. The sandy beach looks promising from a distance but it was only around 10°C, 50°F, and wind was blowing from the Baltic Sea. Although there's no snow left in Southern Finland there's plenty to go around if you travel to Lapland. These waters are home to many White-tailed Eagle and Ospreys but I did not managed to see any, many of their nests though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE