Advice on boys first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Well my step-son is doing his SAT's at the moment and upon his completion I'd like to give him his own knife for when we go camping together and also to teach him safe knife craft.

I'd like suggestions on what people think "you can't go wrong with". My budget is up to £50 for the right knife for him

Any help appreciated.

Dan

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
He's 11 so obviously he will only be using this whilst in the company of a responsible adult. He's average size for his age so something not too bulky for him. It will mainyl be for him to use when helping prepare our quarry or when helping to prepare fire materials etc.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
A Mora Clipper. At £10 when it gets lost/damaged it can be easily replaced.
Carbon Blade so that he'll learn to look after it and care for it as it'll require more TLC than a stainless.
Add a first aid kit and teach him to carry it, and know how to use it on himself for those little nicks.
Tim

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
That seems like a reasonable suggestion and for £13.99 for the clipper and an accompanying fire steel I can't argue.

Are there any other comparible suggestions.

bob_pickard

Feb 1, 2012
epsom
check out Blackfox on heinnie- I got my son the Bowie when we climbed our first mountain together (Snowdon, he was 14 so a little older) but it's a superb knife for the money and is lasting exceptionally well

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I bought my 12 year old a Condor junior from Marttiini. I have a couple of their knives already and am a big fan of their workmanship.

It has a very sharp blade out of the box (just a little stropping added a further edge) and a rounded tip to avoid stabbing injuries while she learns to use it safely.
It cost me around £35 and that included a presenation box and her name engraved on the blade. She loves it to bits and is always nagging me to polish the blade for her!
It takes around 5 days to come from Finland so I was well impressed.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

PeteD

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
There's a decent selection of "value" knives over at Greenman Bushcraft. Like this one, a "safety" knife. I bought a couple of the Hultafors knives out of curiosity, for my teenage son and they are fantastic value for money, like the Mora's. The money you save could go towards getting him a more "bushcrafty" knife at a later date, once he's got the bug. I agree with TimD, you should also get a small first aid kit to accompany whatever knife you end up buying for him, so that he learns that skills and safety go hand in hand, right from the outset.

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/knives/hultafors-safety-bushcraft-knife.htm

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent

Just had a look at the link and have to say that looks like a perfect starter knife and a great price. I would say let your son get used to one like that and when he's confident with using it (and you're confident in his abilities and safety) then upgrade to something better. I also agree with TimD about the first aid kit as even the most experienced knife users will nick themselves every now and then and its good practice to have a first aid kit with you when out in the wilds.

Just had a look at the link and have to say that looks like a perfect starter knife and a great price. I would say let your son get used to one like that and when he's confident with using it (and you're confident in his abilities and safety) then upgrade to something better. I also agree with TimD about the first aid kit as even the most experienced knife users will nick themselves every now and then and its good practice to have a first aid kit with you when out in the wilds.

its just my opinion and personnel pref but I dont like starting Kids on a blunt tip knife tho point is an important part of the tool and learning ith out it can cause problems when they do get a sharp point but dont have the awareness of it or or a style thats fine for a blunt tip but dangerous with a tip

proper training and knife skills (as the Scandinavian teaching style for example) can be given to very young kids and they can and will be safe and a few small incidents early on can stop a massive one later in life

definalty first aid training and kit are a good idea any way it might be your finger they need to sort out ;) do the training with them if your not qualified so they feel included

I can recommend Robin wood if your close enough for Carving an knife skills tho hes pure carving biased as apposed to General Bushcraft

http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/what-is-best-whittling-knife-for-child.html

ATB

Duncan

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
I've bought all of mine the mora 511.
My youngest is 7, he got his 2 months ago for his birthday. My other kids are 9 & 12.
The father in law also wants one as he was using one of his old knifes that he had resharpened a million times and was struggling. Saw how easily the kids were carving and making kindling so he borrowed mine and is now a frost/mora fan.

Went for the 511 as it is good for bushcraft as well as a little bit of carving. The finger guard is a great addition and at £5 each I cant complain.

My knife is a companion, as well as 511 in the pack and love it. My oldest will be getting one of them next if she continues in her interest, like a small comming of age thing. And at the price of £11 for the companion it will feel like big thing for her, but at a small cost to me.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have been using a small Mora classic with my kids, with them sat on my leg and my hands over there's, its small enough for their hands to grip it well, I hold over theirs as being 3 I don't want an involuntary toddler type spasm to ruin their good learning curve,

This one,

267995_10150329027699073_539479072_9510342_2860357_n.jpg

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I was thinking myself that at his age I'd rather let him have a knife with a point so he can adapt to using it whilst learning safe knife handling. Some very good suggestions, thanks.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
After a few days of research, I plumped for the Mora 511 - for my boy who is turning 9 next week. The finger guard was my main consideration, he's already quite good at using a multi-tool knife, so the 511 seems a logical progression. I'd think that regardless of knife choice (as long as it fits hands and is suitable for the uses intended), learning proper knife handling technique is much more important.

An aside, but does anyone have any links to good knife safety/technique appropriate for a young starter? I have no bushcrafty freinds/mentors who could teach him, so any resource that can aid me in helping him handle it correctly would be great. (Not meaning to hijack Dan, just thought it could be an appropriate time/place to ask!)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
This depends on the size of the lad as some 11 year olds are very small others are not.

Try Clas Ohlson for a budget knife theres one in the Arndale centre

The classic Scout 39 is great for kids with small hands and has a double gaurd I them out to our smaller scouts.

The Craftline Q 511 is good larger hands and has a single gaurd .

You can look at the others too while you are there just ask.

I too find rounded tipped knives rather pointless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE