Steve and Chris's Adventures in Metalworld

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Our very own Lannyman took the trouble to lug pretty much all his kit (it seemed) over to mine. He'd tack welded up some carbon / mild sandwiches to have a go with so we went over to my shared allotment for a beat.

I didn't take any photo's of the set up because we were all about getting stuck in. Chris's gas forge is really quite good and when we suffered a blockage he fixed it with a stick and his penknife. Pure MacGuyver, that.

Unfortunately we didn't manage to finish a blade given freezing pipes and time cracking on but we managed to forge weld and end up with the basics.

What started life as this:
Henxm.jpg

Was turned into this
C2lXV.jpg

Chris had to go back home, but didn't give me 3 rings to say he got home safe :nono:

Today, I thought I'd get the bucket forge out and finish off what we started. After a while I ended up with this:

7HLrA.jpg

And after a bit of filing:
dFoK5.jpg

Arrived at the nearly finished product. The tang is a state, but it'll work.

6dqmp.jpg

Beveling is still to do, and I hope I don't mess it up this time.

Had a blast and would like to thank Chris for letting me borrow his blast furnace of a forge!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Steve, very sorry old son, thought you where messing when you said give 3 rings....:(

it was a good day, such a pity i could not have stayed longer so we could finish things up a bit more, it would have only taken another 30-60 mins, but that forge takes some time to cool down....:(

will try and get my blade finished of this week and show some pictures of the hammering....

thanks for the use of the allotment, and please give my apologies to your good lady, as i rushed off and did not say good bye...

the blade is looking awesome as well dude..:)

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Here's something I was wondering yesterday:

This here is my favourite video on youtube.
[video=youtube_share;LjlcqQVN6io]http://youtu.be/LjlcqQVN6io[/video]

Look at how long he gets to beat on one heat. I dream to be able to get that much working time out of heat.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Steve, any further on the blade yet, or is it this weekend???

finished the shaping of today, ground the bevils (convex grind) and shaped the tang, heat treated, and then tempered tonight, before i did i could not resist a quick etch to see how it went, jobs a gooden, very subtle but its defo there....:)

will post some pic's 2moz when she is done and ready for a handle...:)

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I've just started with the bevel tonight, filing freehand. In my pyjamas!

Scary stuff (filing, not my jammies) I think I'll leave it until the morning.

Looking forward to those pics.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Niiiiiiiiiice

My bevel isn't going to be that pronounced so I don't know how mine will look.

(runs down to the skinning pit to take a pic)

That line there is from the overhang, I think that'll go

T5iEF.jpg

Also, I think you've actually ended up with a pukko!

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
looks good Steve, on my one you can just see the line in the last 2 pic's....think yours is a very good shape, i just did my normal ish shape...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE