The Dartmoor Jolly Boys Outing....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I'm having many problems with stiffness and swelling Nurse Lucy. When I wake up with swelling I find that rubbing the affected area helps the swelling go down. Do you think you could visit my bedside too, in your uniform, and help me with it?

I'm over 50.

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
I'm having many problems with stiffness and swelling Nurse Lucy. When I wake up with swelling I find that rubbing the affected area helps the swelling go down. Do you think you could visit my bedside too, in your uniform, and help me with it?

I'm over 50.

You will find a bucket of cold water does the trick! Shall I come and administer? Shame on you sir! And you too Dave! Behave yourselves! Our poor Rick is suffering and you think only of yourselves, where is your bushcraft friendship and compassion? You should be offering to go round and nurse him yourselves - but no...that isn't a pretty image.

So back to the sensible stuff. I still need a definitive list of best hammock kit at a reasonable price. really must make the shift after messing up my knee crawling into the tent at the weekend, and then I will need lots of help in my first session of setting it up!!

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I don't know how cold water will help my swollen knees. What did you think I meant?!:eek: Shame on you!! :)

Dave understood as he also has problem knees and it is also why he is a tree dweller.

I have just ordered a full swinging system from DD Hammocks - £124 the lot. Crawling in and out of a tent is making my joints creak.

So to answer your serious question: The concensus of opinion seems to be for DD Hammocks. I'll let you know how I get on.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Mr Newman
£124 that is a lot of money for more green stuff, and what with you being dead already; cant wait to swing with you though
Also my apologies I just cant get the time off work at the moment for the jolly boys outing but I am going to Chepstow for the weekend
nobody mention Tinky Malinkus its too dangerous

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Steve , i am sure Mr Newman appreciates your concerns , regards more ! green stuff , but please try not to confuse the masses , it's Tinkus Lumumba !

Or Bongo Matasi ! Hope this has cleared that little matter up , you forgetful fool.

Your best at all times .

Ivan...

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Another vote for DD hammock from me Lucy. I don't have experience of other makes but I can see the prices though!
I've got the traveller and the frontline and I prefer the traveller. That may change in the warmer months if condensation becomes a problem but so far it hasn't.
If you don't make the leap before our next meeting then I'll bring one along for you to try for a night or three. Lots of pockets to hide your toothbrush from you-know-who too.

I'm swinging tonight in Chepstow and thinking of taking a chainsaw to whittle you that little something you've been after ;-)
If I can find a log big enough!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hammocking! tis the work of the Devil, it don't matter who makes the dam things ,they are evil , i have tried several makes , daytime /nightime/sober/drunk and there is an entry in the Guiness book of records for me of 4 hours ! I hate you all ! there is nothing more i would love than to be normal and swing with the rest of you ,but something says no ! Strange really as a young man i could sleep stood up in a phonebox, and even now i find some funny old places to get my head down, ditches etc , but i am afraid the hammocky way is not for me.

To rub salt into the wound, even the werewolf , a confirmed ground dweller has been converted , it is never right !

Anyway good luck in your new ventures you two , still more places to slide under when too lazy to set up !

I will say no more on the matter...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Tengu , yeah keep an eye open for future meets and gatherings ,you would be more than welcome .It's always good fun.

Ivan...

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
what can i say,, being suspended in the air sleeping is just so much fun... although if i had a bell tent a matress and a small log burner i could be converted back from the Devils work...
hope you guys have a great time will be missing you all....................Honest

Rick

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Right , just finalising details , we are meeting at 12 noon at The Edgemoor Hotel Bovey Tracey TQ139LE, on the B3378 , Bovey Tracey to Haytor road .

Quick pint ! Whilst supplies are collected ( leg of lamb ordered and Dave53 is bringing a hunk of venison ) 1.00pm ish leave hotel , arrive at site, set up , gather firewood , light fire , brew on !

Discuss itinerary for few days ahead , agree ! ENJOY!!!

SEEMPLES !

Any questions ?

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Skate , i have prepared the main gathering area , in a two tone leaf matter , very easy on the eye and comfortable , the H20 test results are just in and perfect , all brambles along the path in have been removed , and all tics and mossies etc have been served notice ,the sherpas will be awaiting eagerly by the roadside , and a fully conversant team of tarpology /hammock experts will be on hand until late afternoon. Hope these measures are with your approval.

On a serious note , seeing as there are only a small number of us , i have treated you all to 28 day matured fillet steak (honestly ) mouth watering yet ?

Rack up those brownie points my friend , you don't want to miss this one !!

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Apologies for my tardiness and not posting here sooner, I could blame work/life but you all know it's really because I'm ignorant!

Can't believe its only a week away, times flown by. I'll give my mead a taste and see what its like, might go well with Dave's venison.

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
After a few manic days (too long a story to tell here but suffice to say I was busy) I finally come back on here and find all sorts of useful, and funny, comments about swinging - I reallly must pay attention and try to keep up. Thanks for the advice and offer of a loaner to give it a go. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and go for it. My knee can't take that ground dwelling any more (what a sorry old bunch we are). Next meet I can make it to I will confer with you guys before-hand and maybe you can come up with a detailed shopping list and appropriate suppliers (but maybe not where Rick gets his hardware from, eh!)

I am really looking forward to returning to my roots - used to spend many, many nights in a hammock in the woods as a kid - but it was all so easy then, now it is a lot more technical!

I am so jealous of you guys getting away on the next meet, but wish you all a very happy time with much merry-making and story-telling around the fire. I am with you in spirit.

Lx

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Lucy , can't get involved in the art of hammocking , not even going to make anything up!

I am halfway through a second week in town, and it's horrible! i cannot wait for the weekend 'shouldn't wish your life away i know ! shame you can't make it .

Hope you are good , you couldn't pop down and take me to the woods , could you ? please ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE