Respirator mask, help me pick one please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
hey guys, I need a decent respiriator mask! I don't have a big budget but I'd like some decent protection for nasty dust when I grind steel etc. I don't do it alot but those crappy meshy paper ones I use aren't very good! I end up with black dust in my nose and likely some in my lungs, not something I want!

can anyone reccommend a good mask? or good diposbale masks?

I had a look on axminster and amazon but some input/help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
No the filters are not replacable. 3M call it a disposable mask, but I have been using mine for almost a year now with steel & wood and it is still going strong. I use the vacuum cleaner on it from time to time and keep it away from dust when not in use. I find it much better than the paper masks, and cheaper in the long run.

negtneg

Dec 29, 2010
Northamptonshire, UK
I used to be an Inspector with the HSE - we were issued with 3m stuff, which I guess means it was the cheapest stuff that did the job ;-)

If you're just grinding, FFP2 will be sufficient, if you're welding stainless you might want to look at extraction due to the chromium content. Disposables are good and comfortable, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-valved-dust-respirator-p2-9322/19176

or for replaceable filter models half face with goggles is fine, again 3m 6000 series

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/111500/18415/3M+6000+Half+Mask+Respirator

Both are good suppliers I've used in the past. Get a face fit if you can (Arco used to do this), as it does make a difference

HTH

Simon

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can't find the replacable filters for it.. I checked out the 7500 series and the filters and attachments seem really expensive.

As I'm only gona be using it for hobby grinding and nothing major or professional I'd like a simple to use reuseable half mask that I can just take out and replace the filters as and when needed without breaking the bank.

is the 3m 6000 pretty much that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE