Porridge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Actually....mind Bodge's Staffordshire Oatcakes recipe ? How would that be if you fried some bacon crispy, broke it into wee bits and added it to the mix ? Maybe even some bits of sundried tomatoes and those fried and dried onions meant for salads.
Just pondering :) I like my oatcakes thin and crispy and the nearest thing to Lembas on the planet :)

cheers,
Toddy

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Probably as the thread is about porridge Drew,...

or are you giving us your ausome recipe for bacon sarni porridge,...?

no i am not giving you a recipe and cheeky begger

Actually....mind Bodge's Staffordshire Oatcakes recipe ? How would that be if you fried some bacon crispy, broke it into wee bits and added it to the mix ? Maybe even some bits of sundried tomatoes and those fried and dried onions meant for salads.
Just pondering :) I like my oatcakes thin and crispy and the nearest thing to Lembas on the planet :)

love them and have tried them very nice

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
didn't the last house kitchen selling Staffordshire oat cakes close recently, end of an era....

as for the thin and crispy ones, are they anything like the Nairns shop bought ones?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thin and crispy or thin, cheesy and crispy, or thicker and coarser and still crispy.....those are oatcakes :) Nairn's, Paterson's or Orkney :) though Morrison's sell a variety with pumpkin seeds added to them that are pretty good too.

I was in Buxton when the friends I was staying with gave me what they called an oatcake with my breakfast :confused:
Nearest thing to shoe leather I'd ever seen. I didn't quite know what to do with it; it didn't lend itself to either being jammed or buttered and marmited, iimmc. In the end I think lightly toasted and used like a pitta bread was as good as I was going to manage with it.

cheers,
Toddy

BATMAN

Forager
Mar 9, 2012
Scotland
Normally when i go to make porridge i end up buttering two soft white rolls and then i place copious amount of bacon on the rolls.

But the times when i do eat porridge i eat it like a man ! Bowl , porridge, milk, spoon and eat it cold. None of this Gordon Ramsay leave it overnight for extra creaminess carry on. Although Gordon did teach me how to make lovely scrambled eggs which i think i will go and make now...

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Porridge goes well with bacon, sausage, BP, beans, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
No I haven't, tbh I haven't even found any for sale nearby. I need to look up the net and find a source :)

I like soy milk, but it makes sweet porridge, and that's just not something I'll eat. Good idea for those that do though, it now comes in small neat individual drink sized cartons :) and they last like UHT milk.

cheers,
Toddy

Lactofree milk Mary;)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dice a tart apple. Melt some butter in a pan, When hot add apple and ceylon cinnamon, stir for a minute or two. Add porridge grains (I use a mix with wheat, rye, oat and barley) and water. Simmer porridge until done. When making porridge there is two schools. One want the creamy smooth poridge (e.g. start oats and cold water, even doing the GR overnight soak), other like theirs chunky, in which case adding oats to boiling water works best. My everyday breakfast is the above mix (currently heavy on rye), with a tablespoon of flax seed added. Sometimes a dollop of butter. That one will still be "chunky" if made cold water. For oats try brotchan folchep, made more porridge and less soup (but soup is easier to scub pots after than porridge...)

Last edited:

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I don't bother cooking it. I mix my own museli with dried fruit, seeds and chopped nuts. I started doing it for work when we did early starts and the dirty so and sos we have on building sites dont understand what clean the microwave out if you make a mess means. also tried my own breakfast bars, similar recipe just bind it all together with honey and bake it for 20 mins. trouble with those I had to hide them from the kids or there would be none left for me to take to work

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE