Anybody having a flutter on the National today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
wot a charmer
Ahh , you must mean me my friend. I do apologise if I offended you, I do lack a bit of tact but I didn't wish an innocent thread to degenerate into a discussion of the ethics and animal welfare issues in horse racing.

There is an option in your user control panel to add me to your 'ignore' list. Many probably have already.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
Degenerate is hardly the right word, I think it would make the thread infinitely more interesting and worthwhile, especially if it made just one person stop and think a bit more about the welfare of animals

And don't worry, you didn't offend me I was just remarking on your rudeness and arrogance towards Harvestman but that is plainly something you are proud of

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Degenerate is hardly the right word, I think it would make the thread infinitely more interesting and worthwhile, especially if it made just one person stop and think a bit more about the welfare of animals

And don't worry, you didn't offend me I was just remarking on your rudeness and arrogance towards Harvestman but that is plainly something you are proud of
Not proud, but if anyone deserved an apology it was indeed Harvestman, instead I ended up apologising to you.
The welfare of animals was not the subject of the thread and if you find it something you need to discuss you could use a political forum rather than try to raise it on here.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I'm not aware of there being any rules on non-deviation of thread's from the initial topic. Especially when the course of the thread has been run. I'm sure there are enough intelligent perspectives to allow for civilised discussion without the need for fear of moderator punishment to be invoked before a word has been spoken. There can be a definite bias against anything even remotely contentious in here sometimes. I for one trust our members not to turn into a baying mob of degenerates at the mention of a perspective with which they may not agree. The moderators will step in if and when they need to in cases where arguments occur but it is rarely needed on here and certainly not something to be used as a weapon of fear to beat down any potentially contentious debate. Members not wishing to participate in a discussion on any particular topic may abstain. I have no particular interest in a debate about animal welfare but I don't think others should be threatened with the moderators if they wish to have one. I'm sure Bob had meant his "good, don't" as a gentle persuader at first but once that opinion is voiced it is no more valid than anyone else's. You want to talk about dead horses Hermitical? I may or may not choose to engage but I do defend your right to do so.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I for one trust our members not to turn into a baying mob of degenerates at the mention of a perspective with which they may not agree. The moderators will step in if and when they need to in cases where arguments occur but it is rarely needed on here

You have a lot to learn :D threads where animal welfare crops up are usually closed due to some participants getting a little 'hot under the collar".:red:....I have to say that this forum has more threads closed than all the others I tinkle in combined but to put it into perspective, BcUK has a faster thread turnover & larger member participation than the other forums I know. :)

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
You have a lot to learn :D threads where animal welfare crops up are usually closed due to some participants getting a little 'hot under the collar".:red:....I have to say that this forum has more threads closed than all the others I tinkle in combined but to put it into perspective, BcUK has a faster thread turnover & larger member participation than the other forums I know. :)

Thanks Obi Wan

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Soo many times , i would love to join in on some of the threads i read , but i know i must not , for fear of a ban !

Despite the fact i was a bookmaker for 10 years , and was lucky enough to own a winning race horse ( second only in my view , to watching the birth of one's child ! ) Lots of the threads started on here , with the best intentions or not , quite often go way off topic , i think i will stay in the shadows and read with interest the replies and answers , until one day i overstep the mark .

Such a shame you can't swear sometimes .

keep it friendly lads .

Ivan...

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I would have thought god would look after them to be honest. Maybe there isn't one!

Also, if the race was in winter and you hollowed one out to shelter from the cold would that be real, proper bushcraft like what I practice or should you use more expensive modern kit to keep warm?

:pokenest::lurk::goodluck::goodnight:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
oops, sorry!

It's not really a deviation anyway...did I have a flutter? No, because I am not comfortable with horses being killed so I can have a quick thrill from gambling

I live in hope of a quick thrill. Its the thrills so slow that they are still running that I hate. I suspect the dog food man is still waiting for some of them to finish.

Still - far less cruel than a battery chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE