Porridge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
When at home it's pinhead oatmeal, separate bowls for the porridge and milk, plus the salt cellar. When camping it's medium oatmeal, dried milk, and sugar.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Don't add peanut butter!
I make it with a whisky glass full of oats, same of water and another of milk - 1/1/1 - on the hob.
Honey is usually added but jam, nutella or golden syrup are all good.

Ha ha, that's funny because I once did add peanut butter, and it was the work of the devil. I can taste it now. And I love peanut butter.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Old Army trick with a packet of rolled oats (Instant Porridge, Just add hot water) Packet of rollos, found in rat packs

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
try it with soy milk, or vanilla soy milk or chocolate soy milk (and some raisins or dried fruit or some lingon berries),no need to add any additional sugar

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
have you tried yeast flakes Toddy?

No I haven't, tbh I haven't even found any for sale nearby. I need to look up the net and find a source :)

try it with soy milk, or vanilla soy milk or chocolate soy milk (and some raisins or dried fruit or some lingon berries),no need to add any additional sugar

I like soy milk, but it makes sweet porridge, and that's just not something I'll eat. Good idea for those that do though, it now comes in small neat individual drink sized cartons :) and they last like UHT milk.

cheers,
Toddy

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Salt.

everything else / anything else is wrong !!!!

and yes left overs are for soup for lunch

Trouble I need to be awake to make it or its a slice of carbon in the bottom of the pan.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Whether you are making sweet or savoury, you must add at least a pinch of salt, or the result will be bland. My usual breakfast oatmeal is 1/2 cup rolled oats, one cup water, pinch salt, teaspoon cinnamon, 1.2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves half handful dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cranberries) tablespoon dried milk powder. At home in microwave for 2 minutes, in camp, boil water, pour over dry ingredients and leave ten-15 minutes in a pot cosey to "cook" . Only works with rolled oats which are part cooked before rolling. Pin head oats must be soaked (overnight?) to reach a state of readiness. Add sugar, honey to taste.
When hiking, peanut butter is a great addition, as it is a high calorific density food and tastes really good. altogether a great backpacking breakfast as high calory, slow energy release, and uses maybe 7-10 grams of alcohol to boil the water. Hot meal is psychologically much more satisfying than a cold energy bar:) can be prepackaged, single servings in freezer bags, add boiling water and place in cosey. Eat from bag. NO WASHING UP. What's not to like?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I remember Gordon Ramsey saying that soaking oats overnight brings out the starch/creaminess in porridge that you just don't get with the normal cooking methods. Tried it, and what do you know? He's right! Guess those three Michelin stars are worth something after all.........................

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
Be up a mountain in a sleeping bag knowing that its freezing out side the tent, with demarara brown sugar and a little cold milk that creates a kinda moat aroung the edge of the porridge nursing a very small hang over from the prev nights malt whiskey consuption and washed down with mountain stream water ice cold for the mild head ache.

If your not a fan of porridge you are gona strugle in a normal/camping in the garden type situ, but i found that days on hills can make even old army rations taste heavenly. I hope you do find the love for porridge as its just brilliant.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I started to like porridge with just salt on it last year but now have to cut salt right down. Sea salt crystals on porridge were delicious but did tempt me to put extra extra salt on it.

seatarp

Oct 26, 2010
By the Sea in Blighty
Anyone got any ideas to spice it up a bit?
Porridge, love it!
I don't put spice in, except when I add curry powder (rarely!!), but I do put in dried fruit, usually raisins or sultanas, and a splosh of EV olive or sunflower oil. Don't forget a pinch of salt it makes all the difference.

bearbait

I'm an associate member of the Knit-Your-Own-Muesli Brigade and have made my own muesli from rolled oats and assorted dried fruits and nuts for many many years. I use Cranberries, Dates, Figs, Apricots, Apple Rings, Pineapple, Mango, Flaked Coconut, Chewy Banana Chips, Brazil Nuts, Hazel Nuts, Walnuts, Cashews, Blanched Almonds, Sunflower Seeds and Pumpkin Seeds. These are chopped or crushed as coarse or as fine as you like and added to the rolled oats in whatever proportion seems appropriate. I eat it uncooked with milk, or with water and powdered milk when camping.

I'm a keen hiker and also use my "source" fruit and nut and seed mix as trail mix or "Gorp". A couple of pinches of it is also jolly nice in plain yoghurt.

You could make up some of the mix and either add to the porridge after cooking for bit of zing, or add during cooking which will result in partially rehydrated and therefore softer fruits.

Incidentally I also include around 10% rolled oats to my bread mix when baking.

Oats is good!

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
excuse me ladys and gentleman (i exclude toddy form this due to being veggy) but are u not forgetting the hole BACON BUTTYS for breaky

drew

Probably as the thread is about porridge Drew,...

or are you giving us your ausome recipe for bacon sarni porridge,...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE