To Tap, to weave, to fly...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...and cook n chill...

Our favorite spot to spend a couple of nights just before the Easter break.

Flags up and range built
DSCF2404.jpg

DSCF2405.jpg

Tapped the first of the Birch sap
DSCF2406.jpg

The team, this weekend...
DSCF2412.jpg

Looking through the woods
DSCF2419.jpg

Hazel weaving
DSCF2427.jpg

DSCF2468.jpg

Not bushcraft...but the scouts made them...
DSCF2435.jpg

The kitchen at full throttle...and tats just the leaders
DSCF2470.jpg

The scouts, as usual do their own...
DSCF2471.jpg

Fish for a change...mackerel for us, trout for the scouts
DSCF2474.jpg

Ollie's basket...
DSCF2481.jpg

The good Dr in special garb...
DSCF2483.jpg

One scout had his birthday...so I made him a present...
DSCF2479.jpg

Packed for home...
DSCF2480.jpg

A crackin' weekend as always...

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Good health, great to see the bairns enjoying nature and natural ways. :thumbup: on the flag too :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff I like the range, the scale was upped a bit when you were all stood next to it :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Look forward to reading you scout posts great stuff. A bow for a birthday pretty special that.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Excellent, love those baskets

Ollie is the master basket case...Thing that pleased me, was the scouts getting so much pleasure from it...they really concentrated on the job at hand, which included getting all the raw material prior to construction.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ollie is the master basket case...Thing that pleased me, was the scouts getting so much pleasure from it...they really concentrated on the job at hand, which included getting all the raw material prior to construction.

Your Scouts certainly look as though they're enjoying their camp :cool: and it's great to see the range of activities they get involved with.

I posted a thread a couple of years ago on the tension trays, and totally forgot to add in the baskets :eek: I have photos.....somewhere :dunno: of ones that were made with children in Stirling in the early 2,000's. It was fascinating to see how much satisfaction that boys got from basketmaking and willow weaving. It's can be hard to find craft activities that engage boys for some reason, but I find basketry and weaving, and pottery, work fine :)
Using the same techinique we made large triangular panels. These fitted together pretty much the same way the Polish tipi looks when it's up. Created quiet spaces, quick frameworks for shelters, storage areas and very effective smokers when covered in greenery :)

cheers,
Toddy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Your Scouts certainly look as though they're enjoying their camp :cool: and it's great to see the range of activities they get involved with.

I posted a thread a couple of years ago on the tension trays, and totally forgot to add in the baskets :eek: I have photos.....somewhere :dunno: of ones that were made with children in Stirling in the early 2,000's. It was fascinating to see how much satisfaction that boys got from basketmaking and willow weaving. It's can be hard to find craft activities that engage boys for some reason, but I find basketry and weaving, and pottery, work fine :)
Using the same techinique we made large triangular panels. These fitted together pretty much the same way the Polish tipi looks when it's up. Created quiet spaces, quick frameworks for shelters, storage areas and very effective smokers when covered in greenery :)

cheers,
Toddy

Hi Mary
I try hard to keep the activities fresh, but it can be tricky coming up with things that engage the boys, but you are right, the weaving certainly sparked interest. I like the idea of creating wattle walls for shelters etc, will give that a go over the coming weeks now the evenings are drawing out.
Cheers
Rich

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Didn't get around to it, but those panels ? I reckon if smallish ones were made and covered in clay, then it would make a quick and useable bread oven too :D
Normally we'd make a basketwork shape and cover it in clay/chopped straw or the winnowings from whatever we've been working with. That's allowed to dry a bit and then we put burning ember logs inside to speed up the drying. ( It needs a chimney of some kind to draw the hot air) As the oven is used it slowly fires itself :D
To use it's heated up with fire, then the fire is pulled out, the chimney capped, the bread put in and the oven door sealed. The bread cooks in the residual heat in the oven :D Surprisingly effective :D Cooks fish inside clay too :D

The other thing that really engaged the boys for quiet activities were strap weavings. Simple back strap and tablet looms.....though it can be amusing having so many children tied to trees :D Makes their own belts, baldrics and the like :cool:

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff Stovie, your scouts must be the most hands on group in the country, they're always up to something funky

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Great stuff Stovie, your scouts must be the most hands on group in the country, they're always up to something funky

Its the only way to keep them interested...boys have a short attention span, and I like to keep it fresh for myself...I can never understand the rolling rota of subjects that some groups advocate...we're more spur of the moment...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE