Where I live

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thread rules: You are allowed a maximum of three pictures (taken by yourself) to show why where you live is a great place to be a bushcrafter. Try to keep the locations for the photos fairly local to yourself, rather than using large areas like 'Scotland' or 'The fens'

Heres's mine (all within 3 miles of my doorstep)

1. The Black Mountains / Brecon Beacons National Park. Great walking and fabulous views.
IMGP4391.jpg

2. Mounmouthshire & Brecon canal. A lovely stroll and good for pootling about in a canoe. Has the longest stretch of lock-free canal in Britain.
IMGP0392.jpg

3. The South-Wales valleys. Industrial heritage, lots of woodland, and full of wonderful hidden places

IMGP5030.jpg

What do you have near you?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I agree with Tony, could be a realy good thread this. I was going to sort out some pix then remembered I had some on photobucket.

I live about 40 miles directly south of the Normandy beaches here in France. Been here since 2004.

Here's the view from my bathroom window looking northwest towards the Pontécoulant Chateau (that's amongst the trees) The woods around here are pretty nice too and I've camped in the wod directly in the centre of the photo beside a river. Wild camping isn't really condoned but I know the owners of those woods and can get permission at the drop of a hat.

The region is pretty hilly here, it's called Swiss Normandy (Suisse Normande) though quite how you'd mistake a hill for a mountain is a pretty long stretch of the imagination. We get snow pretty much every winter and it can get down as low as -15 sometimes. In the summer it's just gorgeous.

I have an old Renault 4 parked on the driveway and it has lichen now growing on it. I asked about why this happens on trees and static things and was told the air's so clean here that natural lichens grow in abundance. Says a lot for the region.

Looking forward to seeing where everyone else lives too.

Thanks for viewing

Here's the horse (Baronne) we got foisted upon us because we're a soft touch and had a field next to us.
Bathroomwindow1.jpg

View in the late Spring

Bathroomwindow3.jpg

Bathroomwindow2.jpg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ok here's three from me

View over the South Downs from my sit tree, from here i look out over an ancient landscape, the hill in the back ground is Cissbury and the site of an Iron Age Fort, where if you walk a complete circuit of the ramparts it's over a mile long, the fort ramparts also enclose some Neolithic Flint mines with the tops of the shafts still visible (like Grimes Graves), the flint from this site has been found as far away as the Eastern Med and the north of Scotland, not to far away from here an Acheulian hand axe was found that was dated to 200'000 BC. To this day we still find stone tools in the garden, my personal favourite being a flint scrapper that ive had dated and it's 6000 years old, blows your mind to think you are holding a tool that was made by another hand 6000 years ago.

The fields surrounding the Hill Fort are also full of Tumulus's (Tumuli sp?) and barrows, most have been ploughed out over the millennia, but others are still visible in the landscape, i can see the hill the Fort is on from my Kitchen.

From where i sit under my tree, i quite often witness Kestrels hovering in the valley below me and have Buzzards thermalling over head, not to mention the plethora of song birds and more recently the return of Common Lizards - wonderful

DSCF4640.jpg

Next up is 'my woods' in Spring time, this is my bolt hole and where i go to get some peace and quiet, the owner of the woods leaves them wild so nature takes it course, but in the past they have been used by the Canadians for live fire practice in WW2 and we still find shrapnel in the trees and as per a recent trip up there .55 Anti Tank rounds (spent i hasten to add), i love these woods at all times of the year, but especially at this time of the year when everything is coming into life and as you can see the Bluebell display, is quite simply - stunning

Woods3-5-0941.jpg

The last one is the Lane at the end of the road from home, i walk this lane almost every day and get to see it in it's different moods, i can disappear up here for a quick wander of about a mile and a half, stop of at the wood yard to see if there is anything worth having (yes i have permission to take stuff), the lane is not quite as pretty this year as all of the Elm trees have been taken down as part of the disease control, but it will soon regenerate and in all honesty, the hedgerows have been neglected for 25 years or more and needed some serious work doing to them, and although the lane looks pretty horrendous at the moment, it will soon be back, rejuvenated and in all it's glory, the fun part now is discovering those plant species that have lain dormant for years and are now starting to appear.

IMGP8782.jpg

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I live the other end of the county to Kepis.:)

Retired, I live on my boat moored on this river..
002-4.jpg

Ten minutes on the mountain bike gets me to this coastline, or less to the Downland that it borders.
001-2.jpg

A little further inland is my small woodland where I spend time when not on my boat.
greenwood005.jpg

I'm not a 'Bushcrafter' though, I just like to live in the woods occasionally between voyages.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
1. The Black Mountains / Brecon Beacons National Park. Great walking and fabulous views.
2. Mounmouthshire & Brecon canal. A lovely stroll and good for pootling about in a canoe. Has the longest stretch of lock-free canal in Britain.
3. The South-Wales valleys. Industrial heritage, lots of woodland, and full of wonderful hidden places

I'm pretty muich there, all three photo's probably not far from my front door. I will try and compile some photo's to reinforce the South East Wales portfolio!

Is the first one Sugar Loaf and Skirrid? Cant quite picture where from - is it Penn Cerrig-calch?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Great thread idea,
pic 1 one of my camping spots,

DSC00217.jpg

my back garden in the winter,

moresnow001.jpg

my newest overnight spot,

IMG_6778.jpg

all within walking distance of my house.

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I'll have a go - just with the pics on my photobucket:

The woods & river in the Crawick Valley:

SAM_0400.jpg

Wanlockhead from the Southern Upland Way (about 8 miles East of me)

2011_1016003.jpg

Euchan Valley from the hill above my house (looking West)

2011_1216011.jpg

Nice idea for a thread!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The woods are 10 mins from my door - in oposite directions... the hills are a 10 minute drive, the river a 5 minute drive :)
DSCF1421.jpg

Ffynone.jpg

DSCF6035.jpg

DSCF2767.jpg

Nostradamus was right when he said "Live in the West"!

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
OK heres mine all within 3 miles

First up this was taken a few months ago when the lake was frozen over
P1020492.jpg

A meadow near me just over a ridge near my house and within 3 miles as the crow flys
P1020018.jpg

And very very good beer
P1020028.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE