Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

I am a happy bunny today, My stainless steel kelly Kettle arrived yesterday. Wow it is so cool.
I know you guys have probably had one for years but what a wicked bit of kit.

Has any of you with experience with them got any tips on the best fuels etc.?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use those compressed cardboard fire starter thingies in mine, then plenty of dry split pine for a fast and clean boil.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Seems you lose water when it comes to the boil as if you arnt quick enough it just spirts out the end.

You don't need to wait until it spits out boiling hot water, I prefer to take it off the heat before that happens :)

The KK will start to wobble and shake like a pooping dog when it's coming to the boil.

Last edited:

sandbag47

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I use loads of pine cones as fuel. And always have lots of water in it or you could ruin it if it runs dry or over heat the metal

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Fill it - unless you're on a strict fuel budget, it's a good excuse for more tea! I've burnt pretty much everything in mine I think - excepting petrol and DERV - although there's a ghillie in Ireland who uses 2 stroke fuel in his apparently. Old larch lap fencing is the current fuel of choice in the garden - I'd rather use mine than the electric - it's both faster and makes nicer tasting tea.

You're very unlikely to damage a stainless one by overheating unless you're using charcoal/coke and force feeding it air.

Whatever you do, don't put the cork in to make it boil faster - the steam makes it swell up and it'll come out like a bullet switfly followed by most of the water, which stings a bit if you're in the line of fire.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Same as myself, It's a great piece of kit. Have you got the pot stand for it?

dunno Crosslandkelly, is that the silly thing that wont fit into the base when packed, 2 thin bits that a sauce pan sits on to cook whatever in it.....I have chosen to leave that bit out of my kit.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Two small flat pieces weigh maybe 10-20g, cook your beans while your water boils. If you are carrying a KK it's not not much of an effort to carry a pot stand is it.
I used to carry mine in my map pouch, but have now bent the arms slightly so that they now fit in the base.
Regards Colin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE