Army surplus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, need some advice please about army surplus shops!!

Do any of you guys local to me, I live in March, Cambridgeshire no of any local (ish) army surplus shops?

I no there is 1 in cambridge but thats a long way away and tbh last the I went in there the lads who were working were sat around reading mags and even though I was the only 1 in there didnt really want to help and didnt no the answers to my questions!!

Everyone can have a bad day though so I wont hold it against them!!

Ideally I would like 1 in the March/Wisbech/kings lynn/Peterborough area, my Google isnt really having it tonight and keeps linking me to american shops!!

But also with the Google problems it really doesnt fill me with hope that there is any!!

I no the likes of Endicotts and stuff online are excellent, and local shops are generally more expensive, but I like to kind of feel and try on things I dont no a lot about and also helping out our local businesses is never a bad thing!!

Cheers peeps
Steve

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
There used to be one in peterbrough, by the junction of bourges blvd & Lincoln rd

Not been up that way for a year or so though!

Den

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
All Kit in Peterbrough has gone (Lincoln Road), but there is still 2nd Front, which is:
265 Dogsthorpe Road,
PETERBOROUGH,
PE1 3PA

There pretty local for me. Be warned that parking isn't great, they are closed Tuesday (?), and they now only take CASH. They've never taken cards, and have now stopped cheques as well since one bounced. They are pretty helpful, but its a cramped shop, and you will have to wade through stuff.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
I've worked in peterborough for 6 years now an i never knew '2nd Front' existed!

Thanks for the info, I'll pop over this week an have a look

Den

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
SI Den - I think you've made the point about surplus shops in Peterborough - commercially aware they ain't. 2nd Front has no website (or Ebay site), still does not take cards (apparently the cost of having a machine is too much), and is a bit of a mare to go through the stock, because the shop is so small. Their prices are pretty good (I've paid £2 for German Army shirts and £10 for a full 58 Pattern webbing set), and I have to go past it ever day when I take the kids to school, so just popping in is very tempting! However, I worry that, outside their regulars (which do include lots of reinactors and forces people after extra kit), nobody knows they exist. And without customers, they will disappear.

Allkit went because he was in a scuzzy area, which had almost no parking and had little trade, partially because the shop looked a bit dingy. He also had the strange idea that if he only took cash and cheques, then people wouldn't spend more than they could afford. He told me that he got an average of five customers a week, which was basically one a day. And if you got three on Saturday...you 'd have a very quiet week. In the end (after moaning about Ebay), he went onto...Ebay!

Anyway, if your going to 2nd Front, take plenty of cash (there is a Barclays about 10 minutes walk away), because you can easily spend a lot of money and don't expect to park outside, but park up a bit further along Dogsthrope Road.

Mar 30, 2012
littleport , cambs
Try riverside antiques in ely jacko they have a small army surplus section located on the top floor , i have purchased a couple of items from there and the prices are competitive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE