Has anyone checked if sap is rising?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
ok after 24hrs this is what i got, is it ment to be goldy 
5284d5e9-9109-fe34.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I got about that much in an hour, which is all the time I set it up for. It was clear, looked & tasted like slightly sweet water. Nothing like yours (which looks like maple syrup!)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it could be that dark due to the tannins coming from the bark where it is trying to heal etc etc...

try higher up the tree and see if that helps the flow....

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it should still be ok but a little bitter maybe, it wont kill you thats for sure....:)

try another tree, use differing levels with a knife tip before you tap it properly...

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
it should still be ok but a little bitter maybe, it wont kill you thats for sure....:)

try another tree, use differing levels with a knife tip before you tap it properly...

I will do that, it doesnt taste of anything  i might use a different tree

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to say to remember that's its still just water that's been through a tree, I may have picked up some nutrients and stuff, but dont expect some sweet elixir, nice yes, if you like tree water :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
all areas are different, even different trees in the same area vary.....

just keep trying with a knife tip pushed into the bark, if liquid comes out tap it propper....:)

jobs a fish....;)

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Just to say to remember that's its still just water that's been through a tree, I may have picked up some nutrients and stuff, but dont expect some sweet elixir, nice yes, if you like tree water :)

Very true, this is the first year I've tried tapping for sap, normally I get to April and realise I've forgotten again! Lol
I got just under 2l from a large sycamore in 36 hours and was slightly underwhelmed, so reduced it to about 2-300 mls and it tasted like very watery apple juice. And yesterday I took about 250mls from a birch which was very much the same. Still, I'd rather drink a glass of sap then a glass from the tap, it's always nice to feel you've provided for yourself. Or your kids, who drank all my birch sap when I was rinsing my Billy can. Lol

Cheers

Mat

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Collected about half a litre from a Silver Birch next to a lake while I was out all day, made shelter, fire, cooked some food... great day out, got there (near Troserch woods) at 8 in morning, got home at 4 in the afternoon. Never done so much walking, I will try to get pictures of the shelter, not the best shelter, it was like half a lean to, and I added a bit to it not bad for second try...

Never been so tired :( Good time though!!!

Silver birches are running sap now in south Essex. Spent a few hours in my local woodland today and collected a liter of sap in just 2 hours; time enough for a fire and a brew and to enjoy the early spring in the woods. Just what the doctor ordered.
Never collected sap before and was surprised by the taste. Just like water without all the chemicals we get in tap water. It oxidises to a very suspicious looking yellow colour. though :confused:

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
My brother asked me can he taste it, so I'm up the woods tomorrow, build another shelter, fire, and check the sap, but it takes very long, is there anyway to speed it up, because if you make more than one hole in the tree, more sap come out, I made one hole, and I got half a litre in about 2 hours, although my first time trying to get it...The sap was going all over the place...

Anyway, if anyone is going up Troserch, I'll met you up there :)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
If you want to check, I guess you can just simply jab the tree with a knife and see if the sap runs down the blade? However... How do you go about plugging up that small hole. Or is it not necessary (Is pushing the flap down enough?) unless it's a big gaping whole? Thanks.... don't want to kill any birch :)

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Tried collecting some more today, but in an urbanised place, last time I was in spruce woodland, with some birch next to a lake.

I left it dripping for about 3 hours, I retuned to it, and the tree, which was incredibly large, sealed itself up, and I only managed to get a mouthful, and it was pretty murky/brown...Maybe because it was in town...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE