New Multicam Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

This is my first proper post so apologies if its in the wrong section or doesn't meet guidelines.

Just wondering what people thought of the new multicam patterns on clothing and burgans? I recently updated all my old fashioned DPM gear (I do have a reason for using it, I play airsoft and paintball at weekends) and was wondering whether people thought it would be a bad idea to wear on camping trips and whilst walking.

The main reason I ask is that I do nature photography and want to get as close to the animal as possible. I know some people would think wearing camo whilst bushcrafting is a bad idea - so just thought Id ask opinions first before going out in the brand new gear that is blatently crisp and new. I don't want to end up being shot.

I also do alot of camping billy-no-mates so Im always paranoid Im going to get attacked at night. In the past I've always used my old DPM from when I was in the RAF (was discharged for leg injury sustained during training - meant to rejoin but it was never meant to be) without any hassle - and I've even used a tac-vest through london without any problems.
In fact whilst walking through Salisbury once I think my DPM stuff prevented me from being mugged after a bunch of young chavs looked as though they were going to attack me but changed their minds when they saw me up close, lol.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
You should never care about what other people think. As long as you enjoy wearing DPM or Multicam and it suits your hobbies

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
You should never care about what other people think. As long as you enjoy wearing DPM or Multicam and it suits your hobbies

Exactly. Plus you blend well in the environment. And since you're a photographer, camouflage dressing and camo netting is should I say "obligatory".:)

However, were I you, I would at least keep the DPM battle dress uniform and mix it with several other patterns.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Multicam or any other pattern is not designed to be effective regards animals other than people, but still, anything you wear us your choice, just becarful in other countries.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
I'd agree with the others, wear what kit you like as long as your happy & not hurting anyone else!

But if you looking for comments on the new MTP or multi cam -personally I'm not a fan an I'm hoping that the date that the ACF has trade in it's DPM for the new MTP gets put back & then back again!!

Den

I guess you guys are right about wearing what you feel comfortable in, its just sometimes it does feel uncomfortable going through towns, lol.

Thats the first I've heard Southey about camo not working on animals - I guess it makes sense though, espeically with animals with non-colour vision.

The new multicam stuff is a little light in some environments in this country but I think there is always going to be a trade up. I think in winter, autumn and lare summer there are more shades of light browns then there are dark greens - likewise in normal woodland. Personally I think its a toss up between Flectarn and the new stuff.

I was just interested to ask the question in case anyone has had any grief over the years with using mil-spec gear. I've not been unlucky enough to have been stopped by the police yet.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
I would definitely avoid wearing military gear in urban environments. I've seen several guys wearing camouflage of all kinds from top to bottom in several cities and ordinary people starred at them like seeing an alien. :D

You won't have a problem with the police, unless you illegally posses and carry firearms and/or mil-spec devices (night vision, thermal imaging cameras, radios etc). Also, avoid being near any military base. I'm sure you are aware of it very well since you were in the military.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Things are different where the missus comes from. Camouflage clothing is just a tool and it's overlooked and accepted as a normal thing for people to wear when participating in hobbies or even just doing some dirty work on the car, etc. It's not unusual to see men waiting at bus stops in dpm, realtree, flecktarn, etc with gun slips and rucksacks. It's just normal down that part of the continent.

beerngrills70

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2011
Newcastle upon tyne
I'm an airsofter and use mtp during games but also when i wild camp the soldier 95 pattern mtp smock goes on . I've never seen a normal of the shelve jacket that can hold so much as the pockets go and there hard wearing to . But the trousers stay at home . There just to thin to use camping . There's an old army saying "Any fool can be uncomfortable" You use what you want but dont go to some 3rd world countries camping while dressed in mtp :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
As others have said wear what ever you want.

No doubt some folks think people wearing camouflage in civilian life has a certain "crazy" mindset to it since Hungerford, but who cares, if your not doing anyone any hard bugger em.

Only problem with camouflage out in the country is that:
a/ You'll tend to draw attention to yourself, either farmers wondering why a camouflaged bloke is on their land, hikers the same
b/ If you get into trouble and need to be found obviously a bright colour would be better.

A lot depends on where you walk though, if its in a fairly busy area then you'll actually draw MORE attention to yourself wearing camouflage than say typical hiking gear.
Plus folks will wonder why your wearing camouflage so will automatically pay you more attention and be more suspicious.

End of the day though if it's what you like your not doing anyone any harm so do what you feel best.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Wear what you want...

DDPM for example is good for 'hiding' in bushes....

d88362b8.jpg

Or practicing your golf swing.....

ae534b9e.jpg

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi all,

This is my first proper post so apologies if its in the wrong section or doesn't meet guidelines.

Just wondering what people thought of the new multicam patterns on clothing and burgans? I recently updated all my old fashioned DPM gear (I do have a reason for using it, I play airsoft and paintball at weekends) and was wondering whether people thought it would be a bad idea to wear on camping trips and whilst walking.

The main reason I ask is that I do nature photography and want to get as close to the animal as possible. I know some people would think wearing camo whilst bushcrafting is a bad idea - so just thought Id ask opinions first before going out in the brand new gear that is blatently crisp and new. I don't want to end up being shot.

I also do alot of camping billy-no-mates so Im always paranoid Im going to get attacked at night. In the past I've always used my old DPM from when I was in the RAF (was discharged for leg injury sustained during training - meant to rejoin but it was never meant to be) without any hassle - and I've even used a tac-vest through london without any problems.
In fact whilst walking through Salisbury once I think my DPM stuff prevented me from being mugged after a bunch of young chavs looked as though they were going to attack me but changed their minds when they saw me up close, lol.
Here is what the pattern looks like in color. A strong argument for buying
Hawaiian shirts for your tree stand hunting. This also illustrates the
irrelevance of buying camo with subtle hues. It may be important for turkey
hunting (though I believe the same basic principles apply). As detail is
eliminated, breakup is far more important than pattern and contrast is more
important than color!

http://whitetail.com/camo1.html

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
As said above, don't worry what others think- we all look a bit wierd to some people when we are practicing our hobbies anyhow!

MTP/Multicam can be a touch light for dark woodland, but as well as simply toning in, the cam also works by breaking up the human shape (it has a pattern that works up close, and then a larger macro pattern that works from further away as well), so even if it is shade lighter than the environment it is in, it should still work reasonably effectively. DPM on the other hand is a bit of a one trick pony- works excellently in temperate woodland, but take it out of that environment and most the time it is just too dark. Also from a distance, it has a habit of merging into one dark blob (unless you have an ally set of bright tropical trousers and a faded windproof smock!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE