My BushClass USA thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hey all,

I am also a member on Bushcraft USA, and just started trying my hands on the BushClass USA lessons.

Here's my first entry (the link is to my blog where I want to document my progress. The entry on my blog has all the links to BushClass USA).

Linky: http://bushcraft.strongblackcoffee.net/bushclassusa-lesson-1/

Why don't you join in too? Or if you're already doing it, why don't you let me know how it's going for you? :)

Cheers

Mike

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bushclass Basic Certified (did Basic twice - just for fun) and I think that I was the first Brit to be certified ...
Some say I should have been certified years ago.....
I have done all the Electives so far published - except sleeping out with only a blanket ... I am saving that for warmer weather...
I have done all the Intermediate lessons so far published and I look forward to playing with some more soon :)

The only one I will not get credit for is the Hobo fishing - I do not go poaching around here and cannot afford a lisence ...
It is all great fun and focusses your mind on skills - some of which I have not looked at in quite a while.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi John,

Cool! I agree that it can help focus one on mastering a certain skill or technique. I am looking forward to the next lessons :)

Any advise you'd like to share? ;)

ATB

Mike

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The only one I will not get credit for is the Hobo fishing - I do not go poaching around here and cannot afford a lisence ...

John... you do realise you can use a hobo fishing line in the sea? :rolleyes:

Perfectly legal to do that and you won't be poaching or need a licence etc.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John... you do realise you can use a hobo fishing line in the sea? :rolleyes:

Perfectly legal to do that and you won't be poaching or need a licence etc.
I will be trying that later this year :) - I have been trying to do most things in my local area... or on pre booked meets :)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The class is good fun and I find with the very limited time I have for fun and bushcraft, that it combines the two in a way that also achieves something positive by concentrating on a particular skill when on an outing.
I'm revisiting skills learnt a while back now but with a fresh outlook and with a view to teaching them.

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I've started the basic , done a few lessons just not posted my pics yet as I had to reactivate my account after a busy Christmas.
Looking forward to working through it - learn some new skills and a an excuse to practice some older ones:)

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Not a good experience for me the Bushclass

I got injured at work and had many many weeks I could'nt work so I decided to give it a go.
I did the lesson for the fun of it. Did'nt really want to be graduated ... you know ... that line over my avatar : ''Basic certified'' , wont change much in my life. The reason why I was not looking to be certified is I did'nt really want to wait to be basic certified then continu on intermediate then have to wait to be certified and continu you know, I was going in the bush every single day and wanted to make a HUGE video, from Basic to elective and only then publish it. Thats the only reason why I was not going to be gratuated, not waiting to be certified before continuing, because all my lesson been done corectly and often I been thinking a long time to do something unique, not copying other's idea. Also, took me a long time in google translator just to understand the lesson (english is not my main language)

The day I published the video, after month of hardwork in the forest and video editing, Mister MAC, which I had respect for BEFORE, began to send me PM not even 1 min. after the publishing... he was actually very upset and mad at me for not following his super top secret millitary ninja rules. I said I was not looking to be gratuated, just doing the lesson for the fun of it. That just made him more mad, he began deleting my post as soon as I was posting them.

That day I really regreted saying that Bushcraft USA was the most friendly forum at the beginning of my basic lesson. Oh well we all learn from our mistake, decided to cancel the elective project, anyway it is really not my kind of thing when I go in the forest.

Thats the first place I can talk of it without getting my post removed by him, feels good. This guy is a muppet

rg598

Native
I used to be a member there. I remember when they started this Bushclass thing. I was never interested in having some random guy online certify me in something that I already knew how to do. I am all for people showing and teaching on forums, and that is exactly what most do, but if you actually knew some of the people who are "certifying" others there, you would quickly lose interest in having them certify you in anything, let alone wilderness skills. I know some very nice guys for whom the outdoors have turned into one big BushclassUSA certification session, and I'm not a big fan. Anyway, I've lost all interest in that forum.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
By heck - some of you seem to take it all rather seriously!
I am just doing it as
A/ it gives focus to a trip out (some meets can turn into nothing more than booze and gab sessions if they lack a focus)
B/ it has me revisitting some skills I would not be practicing unless I had a prompt
C/ it amuses me
D/ there is a hole in the wallpaper that the cert might just cover... :)

I got to the wods for fun - not just to chase paper - and I just find this fun!
I do a lot more thanks to having a focus, but I also do an awful lot of stuff that the Bushclass does not (has not yet) cover.
Bushclass enthusiast or not ... have fun out there!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's the important thing John. Just remember that this is a hobby (recreation, etc0 and we shouldn't really take it too seriously. Ot take ourselves too seriously for that matter (I confess I've done that far too often myself)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never seen "Mr. mac." I wonder id he's referring to "Sgt Mac?" I always thought he was pretty cool too.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
John, I have followed your Bushclass posts over there and have fully enjoyed them and your work! I also think it is very cool that a person with your experience has found the Bushclass fun! I've personally completed the Basic and am working on the Intermediate lessons. I think it would be way cool if you were offered the chance to present a lesson for the upcoming Advanced lessons.

We have had the Bushclass thread / discussion here at BCUK; I think that horse has been beaten dead. :deadhorse: Sgt. Mac is a stand up guy and continues to put an enormous amount of personal effort into that forum and the Bushclass. Terry Barney, the fellow that administers the Bushclass, is the "Real McCoy". His resume concerning outdoor skills instruction is without reproach; more importantly, his actual experience speaks volumes.

Right, back to point on this thread. Malente, have fun working the Bushclass lessons! Congratulations, John, I've enjoyed and learned different outdoor techniques from your Bushclass posts.

Gordy

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John, I have followed your Bushclass posts over there and have fully enjoyed them and your work! I also think it is very cool that a person with your experience has found the Bushclass fun! I've personally completed the Basic and am working on the Intermediate lessons. I think it would be way cool if you were offered the chance to present a lesson for the upcoming Advanced lessons.

We have had the Bushclass thread / discussion here at BCUK; I think that horse has been beaten dead. :deadhorse: Sgt. Mac is a stand up guy and continues to put an enormous amount of personal effort into that forum and the Bushclass. Terry Barney, the fellow that administers the Bushclass, is the "Real McCoy". His resume concerning outdoor skills instruction is without reproach; more importantly, his actual experience speaks volumes.

Right, back to point on this thread. Malente, have fun working the Bushclass lessons! Congratulations, John, I've enjoyed and learned different outdoor techniques from your Bushclass posts.

Gordy

Thanks for the comments :)
Although I do a bit of Bushcraft instruction and do a Bushcraft and Survival column for a motorcycle adventure magazine I do not think I am yet ready to present a Bushclass ... especially for an Advanced Bushclass!
Afterall - I would have to do it for free :)

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Maybe I got him on a bad day and honestly I could not care less about this story or himself.
That said, the argument '' he is putting a lot of time and effort in bushcraft so he deserve respect '' ... In addition to a minimum of 40 hours work a week, I been spending at least 8 to 15 hours every single weeks of the last 4 years working on friction fire and sharing my knowledge ... does'nt allow me to act like a *****.

Anyway, im off ;) as I said ... what the **** his certification will change in my life, but allowing me to post my video would have been a minimum after all these effort. Since then I stay in the section ''fire'' and ignore other section, thats what give me fun anyway

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Maybe I got him on a bad day and honestly I could not care less about this story or himself.
That said, the argument '' he is putting a lot of time and effort in bushcraft so he deserve respect '' ... In addition to a minimum of 40 hours work a week, I been spending at least 8 to 15 hours every single weeks of the last 4 years working on friction fire and sharing my knowledge ... does'nt allow me to act like a *****.

Anyway, im off ;) as I said ... what the **** his certification will change in my life, but allowing me to post my video would have been a minimum after all these effort.

The anger in your post betrays you...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE