Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
Just a quick question, I have found a tin that my 12cm Zebra will fit inside, however not sure if it is suitable for use as a hobo stove, its steel ( I presume, advertised as such and a magnet stick) however it says it is enamel as well. Any thoughts on this?

I really dont want to steal the wifes new tin only for it to not be suitable!

It will probably be fine, I assume aluminium is more popular as it has a lower mass and therefore robs less heat from the fire so you heat your billy more than the stove, that's all. Could be wrong, often am.

You could always steal the wife's tin anyway, after all, making up is the fun part ;)

Last edited:

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
looking for a stainless steel drainer that a 12 cm zebra can fit into any one have any links? proving hard to find one above 12 cm diameter lol

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Hi Folks,
I was about to resurrect this thread tonight but found someone had already done it for me. Thanks BeernGrills70.

Well, I gave my old hobo stove a base upgrade today after coming up the idea a while ago. This morning I saw the very thing I needed to complete the task. Three T shaped hinges. and got busy working on it.

This is after I had a pan on the boil and the whole thing started toppling over, of course your natural reaction is to grab it, forgetting you're dealing with burn burny stuff. Somehow I managed to stop myself and just let the whole thing tip over.

Obviously setting it on a stable object is the thing to do, but with this upgrade I don't have to be so strict and it allows air to feed in under as well. Total weight increase is three garnet hinges and 6 rivets. I had to drill new holes in the base to take the rivets and I trimmed off some of the corners where the hinges touched each other.

See pictures below, hopefully you won't need me to explain the set up. But if you have questions feel free to ask. Thanks for viewing.

Hobo-base-upgrade01.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade02.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade03.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade04.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade05.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade06.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade07.jpg

Great idea Biker will be giving this ago later on this weekend....... just have to see if i can get it as neat as yours, i don't have a rivitor tho so will have to do something else

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi Folks,
I was about to resurrect this thread tonight but found someone had already done it for me. Thanks BeernGrills70.

Well, I gave my old hobo stove a base upgrade today after coming up the idea a while ago. This morning I saw the very thing I needed to complete the task. Three T shaped hinges. and got busy working on it.

This is after I had a pan on the boil and the whole thing started toppling over, of course your natural reaction is to grab it, forgetting you're dealing with burn burny stuff. Somehow I managed to stop myself and just let the whole thing tip over.

Obviously setting it on a stable object is the thing to do, but with this upgrade I don't have to be so strict and it allows air to feed in under as well. Total weight increase is three garnet hinges and 6 rivets. I had to drill new holes in the base to take the rivets and I trimmed off some of the corners where the hinges touched each other.

See pictures below, hopefully you won't need me to explain the set up. But if you have questions feel free to ask. Thanks for viewing.

Hobo-base-upgrade01.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade02.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade03.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade04.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade05.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade06.jpg

Hobo-base-upgrade07.jpg

Nice idea Biker.

Just a thought but if you set a rivet into the drainer where the hinge folds onto, it would cause the legs to sit at an angle, raising the base off the ground a bit more.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice idea Biker.

Just a thought but if you set a rivet into the drainer where the hinge folds onto, it would cause the legs to sit at an angle, raising the base off the ground a bit more.

Yup, already thought of that, I used a self tapper in the end and it did the job just dandy. Praise coming from you is a bit like a nomination for a knighthood, figured you'd know everything there ever was to know about stuff like this :lmao:

Thanks Cade, glad to be of some inspiration.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Biker have the hinges added much weight to the hobo. I like the idea but does it restrict air flow because you have blocked the holes and does it sit high enough not to scorch the ground.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
the hinge feet look brill! nice one!

What have you used to make your stove wayland? I'm still using an old dog food can for my stove :D

but I think yours looks cleaner and a bit tougher than mine.

DSC00401.jpg

I think a good hobo stove needs to be tall, all my short ones suffer from short flames that die out easily. taller seems to be much more efficient!

Biker

Biker have the hinges added much weight to the hobo. I like the idea but does it restrict air flow because you have blocked the holes and does it sit high enough not to scorch the ground.

The added weight isn't that much to be honest, just three garnet hinges, but I figured the weight gain of it more than makes up for the extra stability in now has. If you have a look at the picture taken looking into the stove, (1st & 2nd pic) I fitted a grill inside the base part, this lifts the wood off of the bottom and allows air into it from below as well as the sides. So, though the air is restricted with the hinges rivetted on, the actual air flow seems just as good and it still burns just fine.

Yes, it's still well off the ground now and there's little or no scorching, obviously ash dribbles through, but there's no circular burn mark where there was before. The stove seems to cool down quicker after I've finished using it. Again, that added air flow underneath seems to help it.

I had played with the idea of foldaway or even screw in spikes that allow you to push the stove into the ground, like a tent peg. I'm sure such a mod will work just as well, but the tripod stand obviously won.

Glad the idea got resurrected. I did that modification nearly a year ago. Thanks for the attention.

No Gary (Wayland) I'm not suggesting you're a Queen, royalty perhaps, but never a Queen :lmao:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
If you sharpen off the ends of the hinges to a point, you could use them as legs and stab them into the ground to give underneath ventilation as well, I want to make one, whats the burner base? an old billie with a square in the side?

Biker

If you sharpen off the ends of the hinges to a point, you could use them as legs and stab them into the ground to give underneath ventilation as well, I want to make one, whats the burner base? an old billie with a square in the side?

It's an IKEA utensil drainer, used for when the washing up is done, it's made from stainless steel.

Good idea about the spiked ends but if there's any doubt of it toppling, even withthe tripod out I can peg it to the ground using narrow tent pegs though the holes in the hinges. There's sufficient ventilation underneath now anyway

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Finally got around to making mine, got a few finishing touches (need some gauze or mesh for bottom and maybe a Zebra Billy) but it works and will get it a whirl in the woods next week.

Hobo01.jpg

Hobo02.jpg

Hobo03.jpg

Hobo04.jpg

Hobo05.jpg

Hobo06.jpg

Hobo07.jpg

Hobo08.jpg

Hobo09.jpg

Cheers for the help guys.

Jamie

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I love the frying pan! I've got one on my Ikea setup. As I had a spare pan, I decided to turn it upside down and rivet it onto the base of the stove as a built in stand. That worked pretty well and it doesn't seem to matter that it blocks the bottom holes! For packing you can either put the frying pan in the base or on top of the stove as a lid!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE