Can't seem to get my axe sharp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I've bought a small forest axe from silverline it was only £3~ so when it arrived there was a few problems.

No sheath.

Axe head is a little wobbly.

The edge was terrible.

Now I've used a 400grit stone and the edge it pretty good, even, no damage now, but I cannot get it sharp even with 800grit.

What am I doing wrong? because the edge is nice and polished...

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I don't want to go through the hassle to send it back, a few good knocks and the top and it goes tight, maybe I'll have to make a handle for it with a real wedge.

Can't get it sharp though, even with 400grit I can get my knife pretty sharp, and that's 400, I have a DC4 too.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
£3 is a small amount when you weigh it against what could befall you with a very sharp head on a wobbly
haft.It makes me shudder to think about it.
Knock the head off and re-handle it or throw it away and buy one you can hold first before paying.
The steel is likely not the best and may never hold much of an edge compared to a Husky,a GB or any of the other
classical-styled axes.On the plus side you do save £20 odd although at £3 it is cheap enough to use as a wedge.
Good luck with it.
Simon

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I was using circular motions with the 400grit and after the edge was nice, I was using 800grit like when you sharpen a knife. :)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oh nooooo. not Silverline.

In all honesty nothing I have ever bought from them has been any cop. The forstner bits burn their way through wood, the dozuki lookalike saw (which cuts on the pull stroke) the handle wobbled loose within 10 minutes of using it. The sanding disks I got that I fitted on my rotary sander lasted all over 5 mins each before delaminating and flicking bits of glass paper all over my workshop.

So I'm guessing this axe will also be made sub-standard or most likely used sub standard metals. And just like plastic-ninja said, even if you get that sharp edge you seek, keeping it could be a whole different ballgame. Just ditch it and be wiser for having wasted only a small amount of cash on a $hit Silverline product, at least this way you get to keep your skin instact.

Please don't think I'm preaching, just from experience with that company.

So take Betty's advice in this instance.

Bushcraft-Betty004.jpg

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I followed Ross' advice from his blog and videos and finally, after months of messing around, I've finally got a hair shaving sharp edge on my Husqvarna. (It came from the factory with a terrible, asymetrical, edge). I found that I was too scared off losing the edge that was there so I never got close enough (fractions of a mm off) to the actual edge to get any proper work done.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
can you post a picture of the offending axe?
If I think its worth doing I will sort it out for you , it would be sharp and safe, you pay the postage.
how dose that sound?

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
i just did a search and the axes look a bit crap! it would cost a fair bit to post so disregard my previous offer , is there a steel wedge in the head or just a wooden one? You can buy steel wedges for about 50p from hardware shops if you need one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE