Coastal camping midweek (Feb 2nd & 3rd) making the best of those cold dry easterlies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
(Like all my posts, this is a bit Pic Heavy)
We arrived at 20.30 Wednesday night....It was a cold yin'....

Soon we were set up, sitting by a wee roaring fire watchin the ferrys go out...
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012038.jpg

Up sharp for a bit of brekkie...
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012044.jpg

Then a walk up the hill to the old WW2 watch tower - giving a commanding view of the north channel.
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012065.jpg

Looking back down to our bay...
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012061.jpg

The bridge of doom...
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012059.jpg

cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012048.jpg

You're always glad of a good dependable 'curly steel pin'...also note the evolution from twine to tie-wraps.
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012049.jpg

All of that & backed up with the good old 'Jocky fall arrestor' device - Just to be absolutely clear - we climb & we abseil, we mountainbike & we go sea kayaking -
but we do not ever contemplate stepping foot on this bridge - OK?
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012051.jpg

Another fine clear night at the fire- the reflector makes sure the heat goes in the right direction..
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012068.jpg

cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012082.jpg

Supper time!!!
Heating the oil.
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012085-1.jpg

Weh hey
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012087.jpg

cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012089-1.jpg

Supper is served.....the traditional seaside way...
(we never caught any mackerel so settled for smoked sausage suppers - chippy sauce for that authentic taste)
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012092-1.jpg

The camp...you'd walk right past it....in a small clearing mostly shrouded with gorse bushes....
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012093.jpg

cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012095-1.jpg

Second day brekkie - (food plays a big part in our trips)....
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012102.jpg

cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012105-1.jpg

cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012106-1.jpg

cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012108-1.jpg

Put the gear away dry then went home well fed & well rested...All in all a good trip...Stopping off at Ballantrae harbour to look at this massive salvage ship out in the bay...
cairnryanfinnartsbayFeb2012111-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeh cracking - even although we spent most of the time either hugging the fire, foraging & collecting driftwood or cooking - time flew by - not a dull moment -
I love trading the old rat race for simple life for a day or two - recharges the batteries every time....

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I know what you mean about recharging the batteries, wee trips like that are a great tonic - especially with an oil frier!

If the weather gets intolerable you could always decamp into the watch tower.

Next time you're up there, perhaps slice the bridge of doom away if safe to do so? In case someone is daft enough to try it...

Liam

Great pics. I am getting Hungry when I see that food ;) .
That bridge should be cut so no-one can use it!

I could'nt bring myself to cut it, it's been there for decades so I'd have no right - it's a bit of a sight when you see the location
first hand, the big drop & hear the booming seas in the cave below but you know no one would contemplate going on it, especially as there's alternative ways over - my kids have seen the bridge, been well warned & given the topography, I know they would not be going around that headland unsupervised anyway.
But I agree, it envokes the Health & Safety official within all of us - but where do you stop - we'd end up with hand rails on the cliffs backed up with 'danger of death' & 'climbing prohibited' signs.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE