Belarus & Sweden camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Had a thought today to get a month or so out in the woodlands of either Sweden or Belarus in a couple of years and wondering if anyone here has done the same? For those who have done so there are a few things I'm unsure about, firstly involves travel. I live in N.Ireland so driving to Belarus is sadly a no go as it will cost a fortune in ferry and fuel costs, can anyone say what the car hire is like over there or is it more economical to buy a second hand car for the duration and then sell it afterwards? Also what are the laws regarding wild camping in Belarus?

As to Sweden I believe wild camping is 100% allowed pretty much anywhere (providing it is not private land) and you can do pretty much anything you like within the limits of common sense? Also the travel to Sweden does anyone know of any direct ferry runs from the UK as this would allow me to take my own vehicle rather than endure the expense of hiring one.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sweden.

Camping Camping one night is allowed, almost everywhere with a few notable exceptions. The main oes are (1) not in a built up area (i.e. not in the city park) and (2) not close to anyones home. The close bit is hard to define, but if you make sure that you are actually camping welll out of sight of homes and houses you should be ok. Who owns the land makes no difference.

But you can't damage the are, cut any live branches, etc. You may pick berries and fungi. You can take dead firewood from the ground (most places no one will mind dead branches from trees, and breaking them from a deadfall is also generally ok). You may light a fire, but you are responsible for any damage it causes, and if there is a fire-ban you can be fined.

The basic good rule is be a good guest on the land; don't disturb the residents, don't cause any damage, be there overnight and then go away. In remote areas -- by Swedish standards, not remote by UKGBaNI standards! -- you can usually get away with more than one night.

In parks and natural preserves the rules are different.

Travel The same rules apply as with camping. You can walk in someones forest, and also across their pasture (but with all the current worry about diseases in livestock I would avoid it), provided you do close any gates, leave no litter and do not disturb the animals. And I would not to this close to the actual farm, that is impolite. You can boat in someones private water, but not use their dock (etc). Growing or planted fields are off limits, naturally,.

You can read the rules on http://www.naturvardsverket.se/en/In-English/Start/Enjoying-nature/The-right-of-public-access/

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I don't recommend going to Belarus. Not the safest country to visit. The forest Ray Mears visited there spreads over the border into Poland.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I don't recommend going to Belarus. Not the safest country to visit. The forest Ray Mears visited there spreads over the border into Poland.

I think you would be surprised at how friendly the folks in Belarus are, especially once you were 'up country'. I have no idea about the legal position but there are certainly no shortage of folks spending time in the forest there, for both work and play. As to safety you will have more of a problem in certain parts of the cities or large towns.

Don't expect anyone outside of a city to speak any English.

I would suggest that Belarus is a bit off the beaten track though, if you get there and are not happy after a week it'll be an effort to get back or move somewhere else.

To add to your troubles the folks in charge over there aren't a particularly pleasant lot and I'd avoid the place for that reason.

Poland is lovely country, huge forests, great people.

And to add to your list, the Czech Republic or Transylvania.

Check out BushrangerCZ's posts on here or the blog of Paul White, also a member here I think.

I wouldn't try to take a vehicle to any of these places, I especially wouldn't try to cross into Belarus with one, yes you could buy or hire one but why do you need a car? Hitching is a more common way for folks to get around out here, although you will usually be expected to contribute to the fuel costs.

Fires, in the summer in most of these forests, starting a fire risks conflagration, don't take that risk.

:)

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
Scotland
Hi

1st post on here so hope I am in the right bit! I am travelling to Eastern Europe next week for just over a month and will be entering Belarus. I am in a Land Rover and intend wild camping mostly. I have my visa's etc. (I only have a transit visa) Is wild camping an option when in Belarus? from there I head south Ukraine/Romania.

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE