Dartmoor help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Magicdan

Jan 29, 2012
Camberley
Hi all, be on before and could'nt find an answer so I've registered.
Me and a couple of buddy's are going over to Dartmoor for a spot of Wildcamping over a long weekend.
I've done it many times before, however, this is my first time on Dartmoor!
So my question to all you seasoned pro's, is, have any of you been on Dartmoor at the beginning of March (the 2nd to be precise!) and if so, what's the weather normally like? I just wanna know what sort of kit I should take as I prefer to travel as light as possible!
Thanks for helping!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Dartmoor that time of year I'd recommend that you bring a full winters kit. It's incredibly unpredictable there at that time of year so prepare for the worst. I've seen snow there later in the year than that. Good luck it's a fantastic place.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Welcome to the forum
I have been on Dartmoor most months of the year and it doesn't really matter what time of year it is the weather is very changeable and can do remarkably quickly so you need to be prepared clothing and shelter wise.
Weather forecast nearer the time will give you some idea of temperatures and general conditions but I wouldn't trust them implicitly.

Magicdan

Jan 29, 2012
Camberley
Cheers for the response guys, checking the forecasts a few days before seems like a good plan! Am I right in presuming that it's going to pretty wet, I know it's moorland and that tends to be pretty boggy.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Wet alright!! the good news is water is abundant and I just boil it for safety's sake ,so there you go turning a potential negative into a positive ,not bad for dreich sunday afternoon.

Whereabouts are you planning to go? Someone may have some excellent knowledge of the exact area bearing in mind its 365 square miles in total

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
a high likelihood of it being wet, windy, cold, mild, frosty, foggy with sunny spells

the weather on high moorland is as predictable as all 6 numbers in the lottery

the layering model of clothing is the best for a reason. you will then have all the right clothes for whatever the moor decides to give you. in the winter, its best to sort all the layers you think you need and then add in one further base/mid layer

the likelihood of fogs and mists means a route card etc at your car/set off point is an absolute essential as an aside to clothing/shelter

have fun, play safe :)

and a couple of pairs of extra socks and some foot powder, your feet will get wet

dont forget a warm hat, gloves and waterproof trousers (dartmoor is a world heritage site for horizontal rain). a decent pair of gaiters adds a level of comfort by avoiding water tracking up your trousers

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi . All the advice given is accurate, it can be the most unforgiving place in this country if you are not prepared, it's broken many a good man ! Don't be put off ! You could be lucky and have the most fantastic weather imaginable but as some have said it literally can turn in minutes , never mind the horizontal rain , that is enough of a test , but the scariest thing is the rolling mist , if that comes down and you are not clued up or prepared it can be the most frightening experience .

Won't try and lecture you on map and compass skils , telling people where you are going , how long etc. But if you say which part you are planning to be , i can help with certain things and advice , where safe to park etc etc .

Good Luck

Ivan...

Magicdan

Jan 29, 2012
Camberley
I have no idea which part we will be going to, I'll be coming from the south around the Guildford/london area, I was just going to use the map on my phone, drop a pin into the middle of the Dartmoor park and use the directions it gives me to get to the actual park, park up at the first sensible opportunity, lock the car, take a bearing on the map and head off on a pre planned route that would've been discussed a few hours earlier in the pub!
So if any one has any suggestions of where to park up, taking into consideration the direction I will be coming from, it will be greatly appreciated!

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
All the above advise is spot-on.

Using the map on your phone sounds like a very bad idea. Buy an OS map of Dartmoor and also get a good compass and know how to use them. As Ivan has mentioned, one of the worst things can be the mist and fog. If that comes in you won't have the slightest clue where you are and which direction you are going without both. I know the place like the back of my hand and, being cocky, I've gone round in circle, quite literally, until I swallowed my pride and got the compass out! Only did it once, salutary lesson now learned!

Good luck, and enjoy. There's every chance once you've sample it that it'll be love at first visit.

Last edited:

Magicdan

Jan 29, 2012
Camberley
I was only going to sue the Sat nav on my phone to get me to Dartmoor, the reason I was going to drop a pin in the middle of the park was instead of finding a post code to put in the sat nav, and I need to use one as I've never been there before!
It stands to reason that as soon as we've parked up the phone will go away and the compass and map will be coming out!

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Phew! Glad to hear it. You wouldn't be the first to do the other thing. Some ended up paying very dearly. Your plan sounds fine now.

One further suggestion (it's been discussed on this forum in the past): park near to habitation. Leave your car is a small deserted layby miles from anywhere would seem to be as safe as a pound. Wrong! You may get back and find it sans a window and lacking any content. Not probable - but possible (unfortunately).

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok ! As i see it you want to experience some wild camping on Dartmoor ? as the road from the smoke goes , you can choose the North Moor , ( very bleak , army ranges , harsh , a bit boring , sorry north boys ! ) Or South Moor , a bit softer , more scope , less ranges , a lot prettier , Just an opinion of course , ) So as it's your first time , i suggest either you come to Bovey Tracey , and wend your way up to Haytor and beyond , massive options , or come to my place Two Moors Way , Nearest village Holne make your way up to Ludgate , ( relatively safe parking ) and your options are endless ( less joe publc /dog walkers /people , with my option )

Of course if you want to guarantee your car will be in one piece , you have basic map and compass skills , and you want some handy hints and advice for my part of the moor , ( even stay at my Bushcraft site for a night , use it as an exploring base etc ) you can for a small fee, only trying to help .

By the way not touting for business , just want to make sure you have a safe and magic time , any help or advice on the options offered , just ask .

Ivan..

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
A word of warning if you stay at Ivan's......

You will rack the miles up on your car when you come back and back and back again ;)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Jon , its always difficult when someone asks a question , relating to Dartmoor , without it sounding like i am a double glazing salesman ! I know that if the guys have half an idea ( not being rude ) and want to experience Dartmoor , knowing their car will be complete upon return , and give them a real taste of the moor with loads of options , you can't beat my place as a starting point ! Not even suggesting they even need to talk to me ! you chaps can park down at Cross Furzes , walk right by me and enjoy the wild open expanses of Dartmoor as daring as you like !

Good luck which ever route you decide on !

Ivan...

Magicdan

Jan 29, 2012
Camberley
Cheers for all your help and advice guys, me and my buds will be meeting over a pint at some point in feb to finalise the route and various other bits and bobs, when it's all been settled I'll let you guys know and Ivan, thank you for your suggestions and help, depending on what the others wanna do I may come your way!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
No worries pal , it will be the trip of a lifetime i have lived here all of my life , and never ever get bored with its beauty , you guys are in for a right old time .

By the way , i did get very drunk in Camberley one night , a million years ago , ended up in a club called Downing Street ! from memory and they used to have a market down the main street i think .

Magicdan

Jan 29, 2012
Camberley
That must've been some time ago, ive been in and out of this area for about 15 - 20 years and never heard of a club called downing street!
I don't even think they do the street market anymore!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Apologies , for going off thread , it was about 30 years ago and it was actually called "10 Downing Street " oh ! the girls !! AAHHH !!

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Ivan, I am scared for you! 1982..... 10 Downing street....... Drooling over the female therein present.....

Like red heads do you? Eeeek

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE