Track Thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I use to owen a 59kg Bullmastiff and every one thought that was a big dog they ant never seen a 90kg mastiff. But you just can’t tell the difference from a picture.
When you put some kind off scale in the image then you’ll notice the difference.

Great for hunting frankenrabbits.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I use to Owen a 59kg Bullmastiff and every one that it was a big dog they ant never seen a 90kg mastiff. But you just can’t tell the difference from a picture.
When you put some kind off scale in the image then you’ll notice the difference.

Great for hunting frankenrabbits.

True enough....As we only have a few close up photos & the OP's description to go by...............we can either find an animal to fit the tracks or make the tracks fit an animal :confused:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I’m like a dog at a bone me, I just can’t let it go, I'm probably still barking up the wrong tree all the same.
I just can't get passed the lack of inter-digital pad.

I got this track today, the trail of a Hare, it must have been sitting on top of a small bank on very soft sand and then got disturbed; with in two strides it was covering more than a meter per stride, the first image showing a rear foot print of over 7cm. Not bad for an animal with a hind foot of 15 x 4.5cm. Obviously I double checked the print with the gait just to make sure it was a hare, I have included a image of a dog track nearby on equally soft sand just to show how the interdigital pad would show on soft ground .

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yeah, I have to agree, the first photo does look very similar to the OP's track..............

I may cross dog off my list now, there is something not quite right about the toe arrangement for a canine anyway......there may have been other tracks further away as a hare can jump a considerable distance, but as the OP expected to find other tracks in close vicinity he didn't search further afield.......

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
The Hare can have a stride of over 2.5 meters, travelling at top speed.
The other possible option based on the digital’s layout and size could be Pine Martin? Common enough in Moray.

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
Hi chaps

Wow! I am impressed at the tenacity round here...thought this thread would be long dead.

21stC Pict's second picture (in the first set of two pictures) looks very much like my original pic toe splay wise, doesn't it? I just can't see a central rise in it and think this must be part of the final explanation.

Hope you are all well and good.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE