A week on foraged wild food.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That thread was a really good illustration of why the watercress should be cooked if there is even the slightest doubt.

I think my problem with the stuff in my pond is that I munch my way round the weeds in my garden and this stuff just looks so green and inviting.....I think I'll just not bother eating it raw.

atb,
M

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I eat shellfish/fish 80% of the time. Still get munchies though. Constantly.

yep, that will still happen if you take on a large amount at once, say 250g, your body will only take on 50 odd grams at once, little and often is the key with protine, every 2 or 3 hours, it worked well on me bulking up the muscle but i was still hungry most the time....

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
shell fish / fish and meat are very high or nearly pure protine, this fills you up faster for longer, carbs are slower to digest and can be taken more easily, your body will only take (i think) about 50 g of protine at one sitting, carbs are allot more....

the body works on fats first then carbs then protine, what hitting the gym can teach you hey....:)

What utter tosh!

proteins and 'complex' carbs take roughly the same time a couple of hours or so, fats slightly longer

Veg is 3+ times quicker, fruits quicker still.

The most simple carbs like sugars, are the fastest of all, mere tens of minutes

But of course, the digestion and absorption of foods is hugely effected by combination of consumption, meds, general health, alcohol consumption, temperature and so on

What studying anatomy and physiology at MSc can teach you hey

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i think what your doing Fi is awesome, id love to be able to have the chance to do it where i live, but moving every 3 years has its down falls...:(

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
What utter tosh!

proteins and 'complex' carbs take roughly the same time a couple of hours or so, fats slightly longer

Veg is 3+ times quicker, fruits quicker still.

The most simple carbs like sugars, are the fastest of all, mere tens of minutes

But of course, the digestion and absorption of foods is hugely effected by combination of consumption, meds, general health, alcohol consumption, temperature and so on

What studying anatomy and physiology at MSc can teach you hey

what can i say, what i have been told must be wrong.....:cussing:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
what can i say, what i have been told must be wrong.....:cussing:

look, sorry, bit peeved in general here, :( my tone in response wasnt necessary, sorry

you have been told what you need to do to ensure muscle growth at the gym, an adult needs approx 20-30gram of proteins daily for soft tissue repair. kids need a lot more (and in more complex forms due to soft tissue growth) if you are aiming to bulk up, then you need more as well, but it doesnt need to be as diverse necessarily, but does need to be easily absorbable, as like you say, you dont take it all in throguh the digestive tract. not only will the excess pass through, but it will geenrally slow transit. this is why things such as whey protiens are marketed, the belief you will absorb faster and easier.

fats take a long time due to being really quite difficult and needing a whole load more enzymes than other foods, those that dont have a bile duct for example, will not tolerate fats and they pass through in large quantities

most of what i see has been eaten here, is simple veg, quite processed (by that i mean pulped and cooked) which will digest quickly, the rest is shell fish and complex carbs, this will take around 2-3 hours

the reason we often get munchies is to do with the uppy downey of our blood sugars (within the normal range unless diabetic) that causes thoughts of hunger. due in the main to having high sugar diets. as said, sugar is a simple carb that is so easily absorbed, it even dissolves in water, not need for lots of funky enzymes to come pumping out of your liver to do the job. in addition we tend to eat far too much at sittings instead fo the more natural way of little and often.

i suspect that a fair bit of fluid has been consumed too, this will add to the reduction in hunger pangs

finally, the lowering of calorific intake will be levelling out, the first few days of the body suspecting a famine, it metabolises muscle as that is quick to do, around the 3rd day, fat metabolism starts in addition to the metabolic rate slowing to conserve fat stores

today is that third day

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
look, sorry, bit peeved in general here, :( my tone in response wasnt necessary, sorry

you have been told what you need to do to ensure muscle growth at the gym, an adult needs approx 20-30gram of proteins daily for soft tissue repair. kids need a lot more (and in more complex forms due to soft tissue growth) if you are aiming to bulk up, then you need more as well, but it doesnt need to be as diverse necessarily, but does need to be easily absorbable, as like you say, you dont take it all in throguh the digestive tract. not only will the excess pass through, but it will geenrally slow transit. this is why things such as whey protiens are marketed, the belief you will absorb faster and easier.

fats take a long time due to being really quite difficult and needing a whole load more enzymes than other foods, those that dont have a bile duct for example, will not tolerate fats and they pass through in large quantities

most of what i see has been eaten here, is simple veg, quite processed (by that i mean pulped and cooked) which will digest quickly, the rest is shell fish and complex carbs, this will take around 2-3 hours

the reason we often get munchies is to do with the uppy downey of our blood sugars (within the normal range unless diabetic) that causes thoughts of hunger. due in the main to having high sugar diets. as said, sugar is a simple carb that is so easily absorbed, it even dissolves in water, not need for lots of funky enzymes to come pumping out of your liver to do the job. in addition we tend to eat far too much at sittings instead fo the more natural way of little and often.

i suspect that a fair bit of fluid has been consumed too, this will add to the reduction in hunger pangs

finally, the lowering of calorific intake will be levelling out, the first few days of the body suspecting a famine, it metabolises muscle as that is quick to do, around the 3rd day, fat metabolism starts in addition to the metabolic rate slowing to conserve fat stores

today is that third day

ok no probs, thanks for the advise.

regards.

chris.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Hey Jon, fancy starting another thread mate instead of disrupting this one with your rants and lectures ?

you're doing well for a bloke that backed out of this thread some time ago !

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hey Jon, fancy starting another thread mate instead of disrupting this one with your rants and lectures ?

you're doing well for a bloke that backed out of this thread some time ago !

Jon's first reply to Chris was a bit terse but I thought he apologised pretty gracefully. His protein, fat, carbohydrate seems well informed and useful. Personally I think it is relevant to the thread and is a useful contribution.

Perhaps he deserves some slack?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Good work Fiona. I'm gripped by your posts so far, and especially intrigued to hear how you process and consume your foraging bounty as well as striving to maintain a balance.

Kudos too for not taking the bait from the naysayers. There are a couple on here that do like to rant from the comfort of their armchair.

All the best :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Good 'elth Fiona, I'm now subscribed ;)
Thank you for taking the time to share your trial.

Can I ask the unasked ?

How have your bodily functions altered ? Frequency/consitution etc ? Cheers Chis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE