A week on foraged wild food.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not critical of the prior storage, but I'm not sure the experiment will provide any more than "food for free" will as it's moved from living on "foraged foods" including that previously gathered, to catching the bus to known high density areas and having a couple of hundred calories at the cafe.

I could drive to the beach and collect an awful lot of seaweed, shrimps, crabs, mussels and limpet, continue to munch on what's left of the 10kg of walnuts, sweet chestnut and Hazels I collected last year and top up with a medium soya latte with extra shot too

All it demonstrates is that I am able to recall the locations of high density food sources that are only "foragable" through the use of vehicles and that I have some credits on my Costa's card.

Only asking that the objective of the exercise describes the actual exercise, I would say it doesn't any more :(

End of the day the op is doing something he/she thinks will be educational and entertaining, there are no rules, limitations or guidelines except the ones the op wants to set, as said above if you did a similar experiment it would be entirely up to you how you'd want to set your limitations.
In this case this isn't an entry into any competition so who are we (the observers) to set limitations?

In this case the op got on his/her bike and cycled to as nearby spot to harvest some food from around the sea, how is that not foraging?
Even if he/she took the car then so what, again hows that not foraging?

What would gain would be had to being restricted to 1 mile of the home?
Even IF he/she stayed within 1 mile then even for the UK based members that's a BIG variation in terrain, vegetation, animal life, some here no doubt live in rural areas others in towns, some by the sea others in Midlands.
So even if the op stayed within 1 mile of home and foraged, that's not going to be the same food for every member here.

Only thing i'd like, is pics.
Be nice to see pics of the food please.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Nice going Fiona. This is an experiment that many of us have thought they'd like to try, so you are doing it for many of us and we're right behind you.

I don't understand the detractors. Taking their arguements to extremes they seem to suggest that, for this little bit of very interesting fun to be really valid, you should be time-warped back to the mesolithic or something. But we know the result of that experiment - we're here. :)

For me, it is what it is (given the circumstances) - and I like it.

Keep the fascinating reports coming.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Brilliant, don't know how I managed to miss this thread for so long. Any chance of some pics Fi? It would be great to actually see the green coloured crud you are eating whilst I'm sitting back drinking Guiness and eating my Danish pastries.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I shall retire from the thread in this case as the experiment has lost validity for me and my expression of that is being taken as unjust criticism

Hope you have fun Fiona :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
...........it was never an experiment. An experiment needs a theory and testing criteria.
This is an attempt to show the potential of foraging a weeks food requirements and the effort involved in obtaining it.

Toddy

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Ah I see where I've been going wrong all these years

Thanks for the education, had my fill now I've learnt the difficulties of cycling, eating stored nuts and trapping sleepy woodlice

:/

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
this is a great thread and well done for trying, i have done a foraged foods only for 72 hour, living of the land making shelter etc etc, with only 5 items, i was very hungry dizzy and feeling rather pants afterwards...

that was early summer so just proves my brain box is not very full with this type of info, for that reason im very happy to hear and learn any more that is possible...

some pictures would be very good to put names to faces or plants so to speek....

keep up the good work, i totaly understand what your doing and why.....;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, you were gently reminded that the OP's intention was not the one that you have suggested in another thread.

The OP made no claim, and stated no intention, to 'live in the woods for a week'; simply to live on foraged wild foods for a week and demonstrate availability and the effort involved in obtaining such food.

cheers,
M

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Starting tomorrow I am doing a foraged food week, while living in the comfort of my own home. It leads on from the threads about the man that died tryng to live off the land in the scotish highlands. I am doing it mainly to help those that wish to go to the wilds and live off the land. It is to show it is not easy to live off the land, it is very hard work. Hopefully the recipes and the vareity of foods that i eat will be knowlegde that will be helpful to others. Also on personal level it is good to pressure test skills and i know been hungry makes you quite sharp for spotting wild food resources. i should also get a bit fitter and lose start to lose the podge a bit aswell.

I live 8 miles from the sea, so it is 16-20 mile round cycle trip to get the plentiful food that is there. This month is the hardest to find wild food, but there is still stuff out there. I will be using some food that has been foraged that I have stored. I have three kilos of hazelnuts in their shells, quite a bit of fruit leather and some acorn flour. I also have a freezer, a shower and warm bed to sleep in. I dont aim to break the law, all the roots will come from where I have permission to dig them up, the rest is under collected common law.

The cheats I am going to do are stock cubes or marmite. When I have done this before I lived in the midlands where the wild food obviously has no salt, I might be ok here, But i cant see seaweed providing enough to prevent issues. If i get a craving for butter I will have some, as fat and fat soluble vitamins is quite low in most wild foods, although there is quite a bit in hazelnuts.

The plan today was to cycle to burry port. The weather decided otherwise. I got as far as Llanelli beach, and the cross wind was bitter with sleet. By this stage I had realised I am nowhere near as fit as was in summer. The wind was right into my face and painfully cold, i felt like was I going up hill on the flat. I decided I was wasting energy. llanelli beach has a uncertain amount of shell fish rather than burry port where I know the good safe spots and can collect several kilos easily.

I have collected about 2kg of shellfish, mostly winkles. I good wad of wrack and a little laver. I also collected from the cycle route, enough charlock for a week, oddly quite few mixed mushrooms, watercress, and hawthorn fruit. I am about to start making mushroom pate and the roast the bulrush roots from yesterday. It is enough food for a day or two, but not with amount of calories I spent today. Tomorrow will be an easier day, if woodlice and worms decided to hide I will catch the bus to burry port later on in the week.

I will put up pictures later.

I ate mostly hazelnuts and fruit leather today, I had raw wrack on the beach which is quite filling. I have eaten just had watercress soup with wrack and load of bulrush. I had a cheating hot choclate in llanelli, i have done the ride before but I must been much fitter or the cold stole the energy. Faced with 10 mile cycle back i found feel myself crashing. Fitter or on finer day I would of be fine.

Today was an easier day. this morning after a not inspiring breakfast of apple pulp and sprouted roasted wheat. I found the wheat last week growing on wasteland outside some houses, I know what ergot looks like, but generally wild cereals should collected with care because of this. I spent the morning in the kitchen making a mess. I stewed up the half the bladderwrack in the pressure cooker, with some leftover veg stock and the "stogy hairballs" leftover processing the bulrushes. The resultant soup was very filling. there was that much of it, that is basically what I have eaten today. The bulrushes where split open and the inner scraped out, they were then crushed in basin of hot water. This results in a grey goo. when i have done this in the past after a few days of drying the grey goo become a hard grey cake. In an attempt to improve this i added the haws i picked yesterday in a deseeded pulp. This gave a pale brown goo. well after much reducing and oven cooking this is now a pretty tasteless paste.
In the afternoon we collected thistle roots, sorrel and crab apples. We did hunt for woodlice as well but didnt get very many. I have just baked off the last of the bladderwrack into crisps.

see my issues? surely?

the OP states they will live on what is foraged, supplemented by the three kilos of hazelnuts in their shells, quite a bit of fruit leather and some acorn flour. however, unaccountably, bullrush, apples and veg stock appear, not to mention the huge calorific value of a big steaming cup of hot chocolate. The OP says Also on personal level it is good to pressure test skills and i know been hungry makes you quite sharp for spotting wild food resources and It is enough food for a day or two, but not with amount of calories I spent today. The next sentence now eliminates the keen eye of hunger (already lessened by the appearence of bullrush, apples and veg stock, not to mention the big steaming cup of hot chocolate) as the bus will be utilised rather than the 16-20 mile round cycle trip

so calorific intake is on the up and calorific expenditure is on the way down. this hunger induced keeness of eye is going to be so blunted an opticians visit will be next on the foraging list, there will be little in the way of a pressure test

i care little if the OP wishes to post a list of what they have gathered or what they had for tea (we had an indian takeaway i gathered from up town, its not season dependant) but for there to be some inference from the OP and others that this is any more than that, is somewhat odd........ and serving what? i remain confused on that

just my thoughts and observations, i know you dont care and i dont care you dont care, have said them anyway

:)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
see my issues? surely?
just my thoughts and observations, i know you dont care and i dont care you dont care, have said them anyway

It's just one person trying to not buy or consume processed foods for a week, why does it have to be anything else?

I don't understand why you both insist on putting some weird restrictions in place or require a report where the bulrushes came from :confused:

Why on earth would a person restrict themselves to one place, what on earth is going to be learnt by that.
It's not even a realistic scenario in real world terms never mind as a educational experiment.
Apart from being on the run from the cops what possible events could occur where a person would be stuck in one location and only have food from that location :confused:

As it is the op is doing something they've set themselves a goal at and are writing about the experience for us all to share.
How on earth can anyone turn that into a negative i don't know.

Without trying to be factious if you want to do the "1 week in wood" thing then that's 100% your choice, i'll happily read every update and the conclusion to your experiences.

As it is this is the way the op wants to do it so that's the way it is.
There really is no reason to set some unrealistic rules and limitations or for any justifacation for why the op has done things they way they want to.

IMO

Cheers
Mark

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
i havent set any scene, "rules", context or tests

the OP did, that was potentially interesting

the goal posts have changed so much for the reasons i have explianed, that the thread content is so far removed from the origional as to be no more than what i have said, a list of whast been gathered, a list of what is "appearing" and a list of what has been had for tea

i see little real interest in that as i do in sharing with you the menu on my takeaway

my opinion, not asking anyone to like it

cheers

Jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bullrush, apples, acorns and hazelnuts are foraged foods. That they were previously gathered, in season, doesn't detract from that.
I (and I'm clearly not alone on this) don't see your problem.

Tell you what. Settle this.
*you* do what Fiona's doing, you source the same foods she's finding, or has found, you write it up and tell us how 'easy' *you* found it, and maybe then you'll start to appreciate what she is actually doing.

It's not easy, it's hard work. So Fi had a hot chocolate :rolleyes: good for her :) after a bike ride like that I'd want one too :D

Oh, and vegetable stock is easy, especially in a pressure cooker, it's just anything veggie boiled up for flavour and a bit of substance, from tops, peelings, roots, herbs. It's not difficult if you know how to balance the mix for taste.

Fi hasn't taken herself off to the wilds of Rannoch moor to do this (where incidentally the locals say that the best survival strategy is to get your self *off* the moor asap), but in the area she calls home. If that means travelling to access resources, so be it.
That she has plainly said it's not easy, in an area she knows has a rich biodiversity, clearly demonstrates that in an area of limited diversity and resources, it would be a great deal more difficult.

Which iirc, is exactly what she said in her opening posts.

Away and read Fergus the Forager's blog for a bit, maybe it'll help make thing clearer for you.

Woodlice; they go somnolent, they settle down and hide camouflaged in the leaf litter, under stones and the like. Normally they're spotted by movement. No movement and they're a lot harder to find, thus woodstock's comment.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
and you were doing so well! Nearly made it 3 hours! :D

Good night (I can cope with someone being wrong on the Internet. ;) )

i retired, but we all surely retain the right to reply to that being said regarding us?

your 'wrong' comment, how and why and what for?

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Bullrush, apples, acorns and hazelnuts are foraged foods. That they were previously gathered, in season, doesn't detract from that.
I (and I'm clearly not alone on this) don't see your problem.

Tell you what. Settle this.
*you* do what Fiona's doing, you source the same foods she's finding, or has found, you write it up and tell us how 'easy' *you* found it, and maybe then you'll start to appreciate what she is actually doing.

It's not easy, it's hard work. So Fi had a hot chocolate :rolleyes: good for her :) after a bike ride like that I'd want one too :D

Oh, and vegetable stock is easy, especially in a pressure cooker, it's just anything veggie boiled up for flavour and a bit of substance, from tops, peelings, roots, herbs. It's not difficult if you know how to balance the mix for taste.

Fi hasn't taken herself off to the wilds of Rannoch moor to do this (where incidentally the locals say that the best survival strategy is to get your self *off* the moor asap), but in the area she calls home. If that means travelling to access resources, so be it.
That she has plainly said it's not easy, in an area she knows has a rich biodiversity, clearly demonstrates that in an area of limited diversity and resources, it would be a great deal more difficult.

Which iirc, is exactly what she said in her opening posts.

Away and read Fergus the Forager's blog for a bit, maybe it'll help make thing clearer for you.

Woodlice; they go somnolent, they settle down and hide camouflaged in the leaf litter, under stones and the like. Normally they're spotted by movement. No movement and they're a lot harder to find, thus woodstock's comment.

ok, you cant see the problem

i can

you win

i found it very easy to forage food from the cupboard that i got months ago to then consume this week under the guise of foraging this week

you cant see the problem because you dont wish to

but i really do not care, the pretentiousness speaks for itself

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
ok, you cant see the problem

i can

you win

i found it very easy to forage food from the cupboard that i got months ago to then consume this week under the guise of foraging this week

you cant see the problem because you dont wish to

but i really do not care, the pretentiousness speaks for itself

The thing is this is a thread the op started about what she felt like doing.

It's not a thread specifically about you or what rules you want to set.
There are no rules except the ones the op wants to set.

You can either take something from the thread by reading how the foraged food is collected/caught then cooked or you can complain that something isn't being done like you would do it, it's that easy IMO.

I have no idea who the op is, never spoken with them and i certainly have no sides in this.
To my understanding this isn't going to be a published medical paper or a de-facto "how to guide" it's just a bit of fun there really is no need to take it so seriously.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE