Living like our ancestors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I remember a on going project, may be the one allready posted, in round houses and them having some sort of trouble because they did'nt use modern medicne, way back when I was a young'un lol. in the 70's?

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
They made a series more recently than the 70's too, oh maybe 10 years ago? Could be a bit longer. It was filmed at a mocked up Iron age settlement in West Wales, near Fishguard if memory serves. It was compromised a little though, there were accounts of the participants going down the pub in the local press.

Jan 29, 2012
bedford
As a Viking/Anglo saxon re enactor,a 'living like our ancestors' in my period would be great, there is already a part replicated settlement at West Stow, and enough is known about crops and breeds to really do something interesting, there are several such communities in scandanavia. cheers, Alan (or oswald the devout in my dark age persona)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They made a series more recently than the 70's too, oh maybe 10 years ago? Could be a bit longer. It was filmed at a mocked up Iron age settlement in West Wales, near Fishguard if memory serves. It was compromised a little though, there were accounts of the participants going down the pub in the local press.
Yeah that was near me at Castell Hen Llys - a "reality" show with folks and situations designed to fall out and fail.... total twaddle in fact!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thats a coincidence, just picked up a BBC book in a charity shop "Surviving the Iron Age", not read it yet but the blurb says the programme was made from the Autumn of 2000 onward. I didn't watch the program at the time as it smacked of reality TV but I though for a quid I can skip all the personality bits and just read the good bits! We visited Castell Hen Llys and I want to go back now the lads are old enough to appreciate it, also Buster if we ever go near. I think theres a place near York that has some Saxon buildings on a farm that takes school groups..

Anyroad as a family we are suckers for the "Farm" series. The one I'd like them to do is the Georgian Frontier Farm set in the late 18th/early 19 C, mainly filmed in the UK but with the area specific stuff done in North America and Australia.

Thankfully the books are suffeciently coffee table that you can pick em up in charity shops

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE