Giants Seat Dates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Right chaps

Following on from the gauge the interest thread, I have been up to Giants seat today, IT IS MASSIVE!!!!! There is the main field which can hold over 500 tents apparently and then woodland all around. It is the perfect venue for a regular meet, with several streams and the river irwell running through it.

This is a google map of the place

SO i have booked us in for the 17th -19th of Feb, you can arrive any time after 12noon on the Friday and should leave sight by 3pm on Sunday. We are cleared to camp anywhere on the main field or in the woods, we are allowed raised fires.

I know i dont need to say this but will anyway, we need to make a really good impression here so that we will be invited back again so lets all make sure that our common sense gets packed with the rest of out kit!!

Camp Fees are £5 per person per night, there is no wood pile but there is literally a TON of standing dead wood that we have been cleared to use as well as loads of logs that are lying around all over the place

This is the perfect site for any type of camping whether thats hammocking, tenting, or bivvying.

So if you want to come along add you name to the list!!

DaveBromley
Ratcatcher
Noodoo

Dave

Last edited:

Kat007

Dec 17, 2011
Eccles
Well done for checking it out. Some decent dry weather and there's so much to do with so much varied space. Last time i was there the trees were quite well placed for tarps and hammocks..... :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Only an hour away....if I can get the Friday off , could me an er outdoors come along please. Could use some hang time in my new hammock..

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that looks like a superb site for a meet, well done for sorting it.

does anyone know about public transport to the site (nearest train station would be a good start!)

cheers

stuart

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Shaggystu

If you're travelling by train to Manchester, your best bet is to get the train to Picadilly station, and from there get the Metrolink (tram) to Whitefield. It's quicker, and the trams run every 10 - 15 minutes. Whitefield is on the Bury line - make sure you get on the right tram or you could end up very lost.

From Whitefield busses run along Ringley Road West to Outwood about every 20 minutes. Some pass the entrance to the site, but some turn off at the Hare and Hounds, which is about 20minutes walk from the site.

Hope this helps

Alan

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
There's a good travel planner for the Greater Manchester area here.

thanks for that ian, and for your help too alan :You_Rock_

not sure if i'll be able to make this meet yet, but i hope to, i'll see if i can get a pass before i add my name to the list

stuart

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
This is shaping up to be a great meet!!!

Would anyone be interested in doing any skills share workshops or the like?

I myself would be really interested in

Friction Firelighting
Compass and Map Work (anything as i'm a complete novice)
First Aid (Trauma care etc)
Camp Cooking Tutorials

Just an idea, if people just want to chill out thats fine too lol

Dave

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
This is shaping up to be a great meet!!!

Would anyone be interested in doing any skills share workshops or the like?

I myself would be really interested in

Friction Firelighting
Compass and Map Work (anything as i'm a complete novice)
First Aid (Trauma care etc)
Camp Cooking Tutorials

Just an idea, if people just want to chill out thats fine too lol

Dave

i don't know yet whether or not i'm going to be able to make it along to this meet but if i can i'll quite happily sit down and go through some basic map and compas work with you dave, i'm no expert but i know a little bit. i'd need someone else to bring a map of the area along though, mine are all for this side of the hill

Priam

Forager
May 24, 2011
Cheshire
Dave,

I will book myself + 1 if i dont have any conflicts in the diary.

DaveBromley
Ratcatcher
Noodoo
Jim_aramis
kendalphil &paul
Kat007
Bilmo
Cliv
Spikey Dapikey (maybe)
Priam +1 (TBC)

Priam and Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE