The grey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well, you see, I have to disagree.

I was brought up on a racehorse stud, where we bred, trained and raced thoroughbred, plus we fattened about 400sheep for export each year.

I've seen horses go beserk and be beaten back down by a man armed with nothing but a bit of hosepipe. I've wrestled horses down to a lock myself (and I'm not a big person). I've run down, caught and wrestled down rams who were double my bodyweight.

I used to take part in multi-sport relay events (runner, swimmer, canoeist, horserider etc), and horses running to death was a constant problem. sometimes it happened even when the rider dismounted and ran leading the horse - the horse still collapsed.

And there is the ancient hunting technique of running down prey animals (bit like wolves really; maybe that's why we fear wolves, they are too much like us).

Humans lack big canines and sharp claws, but they are tough. Watch a rodeo for a bit and you'll get an idea.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
If we look at native peoples who lived along side wolves in the past , it is interesting to note that they did not fear them, on the contrary, they were respected & admired.& no doubt their hunting techniques were adopted by early human hunters .......man had so little fear of wolves that around 15,000 years ago,(there is some controversy on this date which I won't go into here) decided to raise them & thus the domestication process begun.
QUOTE]

current data suggests that dogs were domesticated from the 'southern stock' (north africa, middle east and southern europe) of wolves are physically very differant from the form found in more northern climes. they tend to have a more lithe and light build (think arabian wolf) and whilst still very capable predators, not as intimidating as its younger northern cousin or the apex predator in the middle east at the time ; lions and hyenas.
dogs that have a 'northern' appearance are a product of environmental adaptation, selective breeding and a touch of bergmans rule.
images
grey ....scary

images
not quite as scary.

regards jamie

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thought for the day:- Anything can be scary when your ignorant. - Dark/Snakes/Wolves/Bogeymen

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

I was brought up on a racehorse stud, where we bred, trained and raced thoroughbred, plus we fattened about 400sheep for export each year.

I've seen horses go beserk and be beaten back down by a man armed with nothing but a bit of hosepipe. I've wrestled horses down to a lock myself (and I'm not a big person). I've run down, caught and wrestled down rams who were double my bodyweight.

I used to take part in multi-sport relay events (runner, swimmer, canoeist, horserider etc), and horses running to death was a constant problem. sometimes it happened even when the rider dismounted and ran leading the horse - the horse still collapsed.

And there is the ancient hunting technique of running down prey animals (bit like wolves really; maybe that's why we fear wolves, they are too much like us).

Humans lack big canines and sharp claws, but they are tough. Watch a rodeo for a bit and you'll get an idea.

When you say tough, do you mean that we don't break when we fall or that we are capable of beating domestic animals into submission. ? ;)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hard to say.

People certainly can wrestle horses and cattle down...The gauchos used to do it by grabbing the animal by the horn/ear and jaw, and flipping them over.

its all a matter of technique...without it we are indeed a weak animal. (Try hanging onto a small dog or cat who doesnt want to be held)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010

i,ve also seen a 22 stone pro body builder knocked out by a medium sized house spider,...

he even wee'd his baggys a bit...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Looks like it could be worth a watch.

Neeson's acting is usually as wooden as my Grandma's clothes horse but good value for money in the action stakes.

I agree with you about Neeson's acting but it should be entertaining with some stunning scenery though from the trailer, some of the action scenes were obviously filmed in a studio.:(

Mancalleddave

Jul 4, 2011
Bridgend, Glamorgan
Hard to say.

People certainly can wrestle horses and cattle down...The gauchos used to do it by grabbing the animal by the horn/ear and jaw, and flipping them over.

its all a matter of technique...without it we are indeed a weak animal. (Try hanging onto a small dog or cat who doesnt want to be held)

So it comes back to our intelligence, it amazes me that an animal could turn into us. Its a damm miracle

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
images
not quite as scary.

That looks much more like my dog

the gene sequence for the southern form of canis lupis goes back 800 000 years and the northern form is only 150 000 years old, yet the arab wolf (daddy dog) is considered a subspecies of the grey wolf (northern form). ironic given that the grey wolf is the same age as the present form of ursus maritimus.
apologies for getting a touch off topic but its REALLY bloomin important to get really anal about mammalian behavior and evolution :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
" NEVER CRY WOLF ".....is a story about a biologist sent into the Arctic by the goverment to study wolves & find evidence that they are responsible for the decline in the caribou population............needless to say he doesn't find any.
It's a pretty slow film which takes it's time & I think you have to be interested in the subject to really appreciate it.
More or less based on a true story.

Although tame trained wolves were used you do get a better idea of wolf behaviour than from most other films with wolves.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
meh "The Walking Dead" is back in Feb

and yes, I know, zombies are misunderstood and just need a really big hug!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE