The grey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Looks a good film, i'll be watching it i think. :)

Someone or something has to be the bad guys, if this is demonising wolves then every film demonises something or other. No point fussing :)

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I doubt folk will rise up and advance upon the frozen north, torches ablaze, cries of murder piercing the cold air. They'll go home, remembering when the cinema was affordable.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, at least its not humans being demonised...

Imagine how wolves must have looked to our pre firearm ancestors?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I would go back a bit further to when we didnt have any effective weapons at all, not just pre firearm.

The myth of the defenceless naked human! Look at the size of us for a start, well up the league in wild animal sizes. Then when attacked back then no inhibitions about doing anything at all to the attacker. Plus the groups that hominids moved in. Stones and sticks are used by chimpanzees against leopards and all of our ancestors would have been more proficient with them. Of course there would have been humanoids taken and eaten but I bet also that many a predator was tracked and killed and/or its young systematically killed off if the group felt unable to deal with any immediate threats.

As human aggressors have been mentioned we have to ask why so many people attacked seem to just curl up and die instead of fighting back to at least mark their assailants. What is is that has inhibited our survival instinct?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, it always amazes me how many diverse posts there are on stuff like this, I think I'll have a look at it because I quite like Liam in films, I don't think I'll show it to a bunch of kids while teaching them about animal behaviour so they should be safe from being misinformed.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The myth of the defenceless naked human! Look at the size of us for a start, well up the league in wild animal sizes. Then when attacked back then no inhibitions about doing anything at all to the attacker. Plus the groups that hominids moved in. Stones and sticks are used by chimpanzees against leopards and all of our ancestors would have been more proficient with them. Of course there would have been humanoids taken and eaten but I bet also that many a predator was tracked and killed and/or its young systematically killed off if the group felt unable to deal with any immediate threats.
Absolutely. Human beings are very tough compared to most animals. A group of fit adults can easily kill most predators (but not without injuries).

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
looks like a decent enough film for sure.........but the wolves themselves have certainly been 'bulked' up in post production, so anatomically they resemble canis dirus rather than canis lupis (canis dirus had shorter limb length and heavier musculature, lending itself to an ambush and carrion biased lifestyle)
although the trailer is short, from what i can see is that the hunting dynamics is all to cock too, when hunting large prey its usually on the move so an assessment on herd/group strength/weakness can be viewed and targets can be selected and seperated.
but as rikuk succintly put it

HTML:
rik_uk3						*** lads lighten up, its a film, its fantasy, escapism, entertainment. 

Looks good to me.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Imagine how wolves must have looked to our pre firearm ancestors?

If we look at native peoples who lived along side wolves in the past , it is interesting to note that they did not fear them, on the contrary, they were respected & admired.& no doubt their hunting techniques were adopted by early human hunters .......man had so little fear of wolves that around 15,000 years ago,(there is some controversy on this date which I won't go into here) decided to raise them & thus the domestication process begun........
Our present day fear of wolves is relatively recent & has it's base in both religion & loss of contact with the natural world & in particular the 'wilderness' i.e. land that was not yet transformed by man......
In some states in the US today ( Wyoming,Idaho & Montana in particualar) you can hear debates organised by anti-wolf lobbies, rhetoric that would not have been out of place 1000 years ago, where not only are wolves demonised in the true sense of the word ( exageration of their size & breeding capacity, their blood thirsty cruelty,they don't serve any useful purpose, danger posed to poor innocent children etc.) but also have human behaviour projected onto them such as "they sport hunt" or "they kill just for the pleasure of it" etc...........Man has the God given right to hunt deer & elk, wolves do not.!
It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE