heads up bedroll for £10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Keep looking at these, has anyone had any experience using these out in the field yet, i e how warm were they, that's just as a thought, and how did you supplement them, I used to use sleeping bags but like the idea of having more room, and these seem to fit the bill.

Well mine only came through on friday so haven't had chance to field test it yet. I ordered an austrian army sleeping mat at the same time, cut to coffin shape and took about a foot off it, fits a treat and it has holes on it which fit just right to tie to some internal button holes in the hood of the bed roll. So no slipping about.
Im a big lad and the bed roll is quite roomy so all good on that front and its *Definately* easier to get into than a Bivi bag sleeping bag combo.
Ill report back after a night out, might even do a review :)

Used mine twice
once in october i added a wool poncho to improve warmth as i had done nights and my system was out the window,plenty warm enough i had a folding kip mat in between the outer layer and the blankets.
the other time was in december when it was to coin a phrase blooming cold, i put a self inflating mat between outer layer and the blankets and used a eurohike 3 season sleeping bag inside the bedroll and was one of the few who were warm at minus one.
i'm arguing with myself as to if i want to take it this weekend or go for the usual sleeping bag bivi bag combo only factor that is influencing me towards sleeping bag is that i am walking to the campsite and the bedroll is a little bulky

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
i bought one of these and used it a north wood meet.......maybe i was a little naive thinking it was all i would need. After being cold all night i was glad there was a sleeping bag for sale at the meet which i bought and was comfortable the second night. I couldn't see the point of carrying this and a sleeping bag when my bag and a liner( which packs up smaller) works better so i gave the sheet and blanket away to a member who's going to make a smock with it and kept the bivi bag.

Last edited:

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hi there
I have just seen these and was wondering about how a bedroll would work in a hammock. Would it help to replace a roll mat? Has anyone used one in a hammock?

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Just tried mine with a self inflating mat, nice a cozy. But a pity I couldn't roll it all away together in the bed roll slip. Has anyone managed to roll a foam mat away with theirs?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just tried mine with a self inflating mat, nice a cozy. But a pity I couldn't roll it all away together in the bed roll slip. Has anyone managed to roll a foam mat away with theirs?

I ordered a roll matt with it and cut it to shape, I can't get it roll up to the point where the buttons will fasten, but I can get the straps done up.
Im going to try a 3/4 SIM at somepoint....

bushwacker82

lol i woke up at around three in the mourning to go to the toilet , after doing my buisness i logged on here (yes i did wash my hands !:lmao:
i saw this page and proceded to put 90 odd pounds worth in my basket :confused: which i then cut back to 40 odds worth:lmao:(u bunch of bartenders)lol.i then managed to palm half of that cost off to my sleepy eyed mam at 7 this mourning as my christmas presents (aye us geordies r a devious bunch lol:lmao:).
anyway cheers for the heads up lads and lasses.

cheers andrew.

aye we certanly are mate

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
New member, new 'victim'

I was looking for a small, lightweight bag, had pretty much resigned myself to the fact it was going to cost an arm and a leg and was plucking up the courage to put one on my donor card. Then I saw the Czeck bed roll mentioned on another site, did a bit of googling, found this thread, got caught up in the euphoria and ordered one on impulse (along with a few other bits and bobs that caught my eye). Beans on toast till pay day!

Is it just me or is Military Mart like the Poundland of army surplus retail, you have a look about, see a couple of things that might be handy, think to yourself "Where is the harm, it costs bugger all" and end up spending £20 - £30 quid!

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
The bed roll arrived yesterday and it is in mint condition.

I was so excited about this trying this bedroll, I had a cheeky overnighter in the garden, in my tent and I have to say, I had the most comfortable outdoor kip in a good long while. Bit of a chilly night and the wind didn't make it any warmer, but I was nice and toasty in this bed roll. Didn't need the extra blanket or sleeping bag liner I had on hand (or the emergency duvet, I had on standby in the house), just popped a self inflating sleeping mat between the outer and inner layers, tucked myself in, revelled in being able to move my feet about and wiggle my shoulders, then swiftly dropped off and spent a pleasant evening in the Land of Nod.

I am now definitely a member of the Czech army bed roll fan club :D

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
good aint they
i reckon we now need a pimp your czech bedroll thread

We should, I'm already thinking about how I can pimp the outer into 'proper' bivi.

And Military Mart is a very dangerous site, having bought five items off there last week (including this EXCELLENT bed roll) I have already identified seven further items, I rather like the luck of.

I must resist, I must be strong... and just in case I'm not, I must hide my debit card!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mine arrived today. Five buttons missing but its not a problem. Great value for a tenner. Only problem is i am not the only one who likes it. Had barely spread it out to button the liner in

8b83246c.jpg

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I bought one a while ago and put a highlander insulating mat in it (the very thin silver one). It now has a thinnish 2 season sleepingbag in it as well and is warm even at this time of year - still rolls up and am able to fasten the buttons as well as the straps.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, arrived today and currently washing the outer in TechWash, the inners already drying... Looks unissued with no buttons missing so well chuffed.

Cheers,

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Just added a 1cm thick foam mat to mine and a thin sleeping bag too, but I'm struggling to get it to fasten. Going to add a compression system

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE